[Blackstudies-l] Congratulations to Black Studies 2018 Prize Winners in Creative, Analytical, and Research Writing

Emilye Crosby crosby at geneseo.edu
Mon Apr 30 09:20:50 EDT 2018

Dear Black Studies community,

Please join me congratulating this year’s Black Studies Paper Prize winners:

1) Best Research Paper:

Priscilla Thomas, "Online Communities: Navigating Racial Stereotypes and Standards of Gender and Beauty on YouTube"

(2) Best Analytical Essay:

Izzy Graziano, "The Paradox of Oz: from Embodiment of Classical Narrative to Template for Experimentation"

(3) Best Creative Writing:

Kazon Robinson,   “Do I Recognize You?” After Olivia Whitmarsh’s “Dear Black Boy”

Many, many thanks, also, to all the students who submitted work. The committee was impressed with the strength of the submissions. As we all know, we have wonderful, talented students in our program. And thanks, too, to the faculty committee chaired by Maria Lima, with Crystal Simmons and Melanie Medeiros.

Maria Lima will be representing Black Studies to recognize these students’ accomplishments on Wed., May 2, 2pm in the Harding Lounge (Welles 111), as part of the English Department awards ceremony.

As a program, we should also celebrate! Our major and minor are now listed with other majors, minors, and degree programs, two clicks off the Geneseo home page.

https://www.geneseo.edu/academics <https://www.geneseo.edu/academics>

If you see Izzy, Priscilla, and Kazon, congratulate them for their good work. Congratulations!!

Emilye Crosby
Professor of History
Coordinator of Black Studies
crosby at geneseo.edu