[Blackstudies-l] Junot Díaz: “Bodies Like Mine Were Raped Into Existence”

Maria Lima lima at geneseo.edu
Sat Feb 10 06:37:39 EST 2018

lisaparavisini posted: " Our thanks to Peter Jordens for bringing this item
to our attention. A report by Adriana Cataño for Remezcla During a
discussion at the University of Missouri for a Martin Luther King Jr.
event, acclaimed Dominican-American author Junot Díaz spoke ab"
<http://repeatingislands.com/author/lisaparavisini/> Junot Díaz: “Bodies
Like Mine Were Raped Into Existence”
<http://repeatingislands.com/2018/02/09/junot-diaz-bodies-like-mine-were-raped-into-existence/>

[image: 5a66a32b80883.image.jpg]

Our thanks to Peter Jordens for bringing this item to our attention.

A report by Adriana Cataño for *Remezcla*
<http://remezcla.com/culture/junot-diaz-university-of-missouri-conversation/>

During a discussion at the University of Missouri for a Martin Luther King
Jr. event, acclaimed Dominican-American author Junot Díaz spoke about white
supremacy, the dialogue around immigration, the importance of solidarity,
and the long-lasting effects of slavery on the African Diaspora.

“I was born in the Dominican Republic,” he said. “My work, among many of
the things that it wrestles with, wrestles with the kind of, the often
invisible and vigorously disavowed, long shadow of enslavement. I’m very
much interested in how people like me, who are part of the African
Diasporic community, and how do we deal with the consequences of the
fallout from the calamity that we call slavery. And most specifically, I’m
kind of interested in how do bodies like mine that were raped into
existence – our community doesn’t look the way it looks without systematic
rape – and so how do communities like ours, with this long history of
sexual violence and sexual predation, how do we as a consequence of that
wrestle with the possibility of intimacy. In other words, where does love
reside in bodies that spent centuries being told that they could not
partake in love?”

To listen to more of his discussion, head over to KBIA
<http://kbia.org/post/intersection-author-junot-d-az-immigration-empire-and-white-supremacy#stream/0>
.

For additional coverage go to:

Junot Díaz: “Bodies Like Mine Were Raped into Existence”
Remezcla, February 8, 2018
http://remezcla.com/culture/junot-diaz-university-of-missouri-conversation

Intersection - Author Junot Díaz on Immigration, Empire and White Supremacy
Sara Shahriari, Abby Ivory-Ganja and Elena Rivera, KBIA Radio, February 6,
2018
http://kbia.org/post/intersection-author-junot-d-az-immigration-empire-and-
white-supremacy

Junot Diaz emphasizes optimism in University of Missouri lecture visit
Claire Colby, Columbia Tribune, January 22, 2018
http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/20180122/junot-diaz-
emphasizes-optimism-in-university-of-missouri-lecture-visit

Díaz calls on young people to hope in an age of fear
Ayesha Vishnani, Columbia Missourian, January 22, 2018
https://www.columbiamissourian.com/news/local/d-az-calls-on-young-
people-to-hope-in-an/article_b717bcbe-ffd1-11e7-86c9-8fb59ccb5399.html
February 9, 2018 at 10:43 pm | Categories: News
<http://repeatingislands.com/category/news/> | URL: https://wp.me/psnTa-zrC

Comment
<http://repeatingislands.com/2018/02/09/junot-diaz-bodies-like-mine-were-raped-into-existence/#respond>
   See all comments