[Blackstudies-l] Dr. Ysaye Barnwell, Feb. 26 and Feb. 27 events

Emilye Crosby crosby at geneseo.edu
Mon Feb 19 06:35:04 EST 2018

Dear Black Studies community,

As some of you know, Dr. Ysaye Barnwell is deeply interested in Black Studies. When she was a student at Geneseo, in the context of the Civil Rights Movement and before the short-term influx of Black students in the late 60s/ early 70s, she brought her personal collection of “Black” books to campus and set up her personal lending library. She was also part of a group that gathered informally to discuss the issues of the day. Her work remains grounded in the African Diaspora.

Please share this information with your classes, organizations, networks, etc. Let me know if you have questions and hope to see you all at the events. Details below.

Emilye

I’m very pleased that Geneseo is hosting Ysaye Barnwell for an Interview, “A Collision of Worldviews” (Feb. 26, 6pm), and a Community Sing (on Feb. 27, 6pm). Both events are in the Union Ballroom.

Monday, Feb. 26, 6pm, Interview with Dr. Barnwell, MacVittie Union Ballroom

The “Collision of Worldviews” interview with Barnwell might be better understood as a conversation about her Geneseo experiences and subsequent life and work. She was a student here from Fall 1963 through Spring 1968, when she completed her master’s degree. As some of you know, when she was on campus, she was one of about eight African Americans (including faculty, staff, and students) and as far as we know, she was the first (or one of the first) African Americans to live in the village. She was completing her master’s here when Dr. King was assassinated—50 years ago this coming April 4—and sang in Geneseo’s first Commemoration of Dr. King’s death. Barnwell will also share details about one of her current projects—an arrangement of the national anthem in the African American tradition. You can hear that arrangement here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQpyNYQAlNo <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQpyNYQAlNo>

The Chamber Singers and Geneseo Gospel Choir will also be performing and the event will be followed by a reception, along with a book/ music signing. Bring your albums and dvds along!

Tuesday, Feb. 27, 6pm, Community Sing led by Dr. Barnwell, MacVittie Union Ballroom

As Dr. Barnwell explains, “I sing and the audience sings back.” She continues, "You don’t have to know how to sing for my Community Sings but you do have to be willing to show up and raise your voice along with others who come. We begin the Community Sing in a fun easy way and in two hours we become a choir of uncommon voices singing with great joy in four- to eight-part harmony, and raising the roof.”

Those of us who attended her 2011 Community Sing remember well the joy of singing with Dr. Barnwell and others in the Community. You can see excerpts from that Community Sing here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DkH1Ry44ZY&feature=youtu.be <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DkH1Ry44ZY&feature=youtu.be>

More information and photos from that event are available here:

https://www.geneseo.edu/mlk-18 <https://www.geneseo.edu/mlk-18>
RSVP by February 16: go.geneseo.edu/Barnwell <http://go.geneseo.edu/Barnwell>
Contact the Office of Alumni Relations at alumni at geneseo.edu <mailto:alumni at geneseo.edu> or 585.245.5506.

These events are part of Geneseo’s King Commemoration and the Alumni Achieve Series. They are sponsored by the Black Studies Program, the Department of History, the Office of Alumni Relations, the Office of Multicultural Programming, the Teaching Learning Center, the Institute for Community Well Being, the Black Student Union (BSU), the Gold Program, and the Office of the Provost.

Geneseo's Martin Luther King Jr. Commemoration honors and acknowledges the individual contributions of Dr. King and the expansive movement for social justice that he was part of and which continues today.

The Geneseo Alumni Achieve Series highlights the work of alumni who are committed to their communities and professions through innovation, hard work, and standards of excellence.

Contact Emilye Crosby (crosby at geneseo.edu <mailto:crosby at geneseo.edu> or 585-245-5375) for more information.

Emilye Crosby
Professor of History
Coordinator of Black Studies