[Blackstudies-l] BAFTA: “I Am Not Your Negro,” Best Documentary Film

Maria Lima lima at geneseo.edu
Sat Feb 24 10:58:22 EST 2018

HEAR Peck's words (Youtube Link below)

ivetteromero posted: " The 71st British Academy Film Awards (BAFTAs) were
held on February 18, 2018, at the Royal Albert Hall in London, honoring the
best national and foreign films of 2017. Raoul Peck’s I Am Not Your Negro
won the award for best documentary film. [Above is a"
<http://repeatingislands.com/author/ivetteromero/> BAFTA: “I Am Not Your
Negro,” Best Documentary Film
<http://repeatingislands.com/2018/02/19/bafta-i-am-not-your-negro-best-documentary-film/>

*[image: neg]*

*The 71st British Academy Film Awards (BAFTAs) were held on February 18,
2018, at the Royal Albert Hall in London, honoring the best national and
foreign films of 2017. Raoul Peck’s I Am Not Your Negro won the award for
best documentary film. [Above is a photo of director Raoul Peck and
producer Rémi Grellety.] Here are excerpts from a PBS Independent Lens
<http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/blog/i-am-not-your-negro-filmmakers-reopen-james-baldwins-house/>
article (from January 10, 2019) in which Craig Phillips interviews Peck and
Grellety:*

The worldly Haitian-born filmmaker Raoul Peck and his family fled the
Duvalier dictatorship in 1961 and found asylum in the Democratic Republic
of Congo, before Peck finished his schooling in the United
States, France, and Germany. Currently living in both France and the
U.S., Peck has been given numerous Human Rights Watch awards, including a
Lifetime Achievement Award in 2001. He doesn’t make a ton of films
(his* Lumumba:
Death of a Prophet* is also critically acclaimed and some of his feature
films, like *Sometime in April*, have aired on HBO) — but when he does, he
makes them count. His Oscar-nominated *I Am Not Your Negro*
<http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/films/i-am-not-your-negro/>, which
makes its TV debut on Independent LensJan. 15 [check local listings
<http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/tv-schedule/#schedule-local>], was not
only one of the year’s most acclaimed films but was the second
highest-grossing documentary of 2017. Centered around writer James Baldwin
and his previously unpublished book (voiced by Samuel L. Jackson), about
race in America and the legacies of Medgar Evers, Malcolm X, and Martin
Luther King Jr., *I Am Not Your Negro* is not just an extraordinary film,
but so well-timed.

It’s a film that may “make you rethink race,” as the *New York Times*’ A.O.
Scott wrote
<https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/02/movies/review-i-am-not-your-negro-review-james-baldwin.html?referrer=google_kp>.
“Though its principal figure, the novelist, playwright and essayist James
Baldwin, is a man who has been dead for nearly 30 years, you would be
hard-pressed to find a movie that speaks to the present moment with greater
clarity and force, insisting on uncomfortable truths and drawing stark
lessons from the shadows of history.” [. . .]

*What led you to want to make this film in particular?*

*Rémi Grellety (producer):* Within today’s context of social division,
economic tension and extreme violence in America, especially against
African Americans, Raoul was convinced that there was a need to analyze and
understand the deeper structural explanation behind the cycles of violence
and confusion (trivialized and distorted by the influence of the press,
television, Hollywood, and angry partisan politics).

As Raoul was working on James Baldwin’s oeuvre, it became clear that
Baldwin’s words still caught us unprepared and with the same violent truth
as they did fifty years ago.

How do we break these cycles when we never touch the real issues
themselves? How do we address the fundamental problems of America?  Never
before has Baldwin’s voice been so needed.

*What were some of the biggest challenges you faced in making I Am Not Your
Negro?*

*Raoul Peck:* The first big challenge was to find the proper form for this
film. It was important that it be a total “Baldwin experience” for the
audience, using only James Baldwin’s words. This was a big challenge and
responsibility. Although Baldwin never got to write *Remember This House* (an
account of the lives and the successive assassinations of three of his
friends – Martin Luther King Jr., Medgar Evers, and Malcolm X), I knew the
book was there throughout his work – in his essays, articles, private
letters, etc.

Therefore, my role as a filmmaker was to bring it together as a film worthy
of James Baldwin’s powerful, radical and so visionary voice. Of course,
this took effort, extensive archival research; editing decisions; etc. All
this was fortunately made possible with the backing of public TV (both in
the US and in Europe) who trusted me and created the space and time
necessary for me to complete this film.

Listen to Raoul Peck at the BAFTAs here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=8hywhm4O8GA&app=desktop

For full article and interview, see http://www.pbs.org/
independentlens/blog/i-am-not-your-negro-filmmakers-reopen-
james-baldwins-house/

For full list of winners, see http://deadline.com/2018/02/
bafta-awards-2018-winners-live-blog-1202292234/
*ivetteromero <http://repeatingislands.com/author/ivetteromero/>* |
February 19, 2018 at 10:49 pm | Tags: I Am Not Your Negro
<http://repeatingislands.com/tag/i-am-not-your-negro/>, James Baldwin
<http://repeatingislands.com/tag/james-baldwin/>, Raoul Peck
<http://repeatingislands.com/tag/raoul-peck/>, Rémi Grellety
<http://repeatingislands.com/tag/remi-grellety/> | Categories: Film