[Blackstudies-l] Anderson Cooper on the people of Haiti

Maria Lima lima at geneseo.edu
Fri Jan 12 09:43:32 EST 2018

ivetteromero posted: " Today is the anniversary of the major earthquake
that devastated several cities in Haiti on January 12, 2010. Leinz Vales
(CNN) reports on Anderson Cooper’s views of the people of Haiti in response
to Trump's disparaging and vulgar comments on Haiti, El"
<http://repeatingislands.com/author/ivetteromero/> Anderson Cooper on the
people of Haiti
<http://repeatingislands.com/2018/01/12/anderson-cooper-on-the-people-of-haiti/>

*[image: ACUntitled]*

*Today is the anniversary of the major earthquake that devastated several
cities in Haiti on January 12, 2010. Leinz Vales (CNN
<http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/11/politics/anderson-cooper-emotional-haiti-tribute-ac-cnntv/index.html?sr=fbCNN011118anderson-cooper-emotional-haiti-tribute-ac-cnntv1157PMVODtopVideo>)
reports on Anderson Cooper’s views of the people of Haiti in response to
Trump's disparaging and vulgar comments on Haiti, El Salvador, and African
countries. Cooper underlines that Haitians “have withstood more than our
President ever has.” Here is the full article from CNN
<http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/11/politics/anderson-cooper-emotional-haiti-tribute-ac-cnntv/index.html?sr=fbCNN011118anderson-cooper-emotional-haiti-tribute-ac-cnntv1157PMVODtopVideo>:*

Anderson Cooper delivered an emotional tribute and defense of Haiti after
President Donald Trump's remarks referring to Haiti and some nations in
Africa as "shithole countries."

"Let me be clear, the people of Haiti have been through more, withstood
more, fought back against more injustice than our President ever has,"
Cooper said.

Cooper ended his prime time program by reflecting on his longstanding
relationship with Haiti.

"I was taught math in high school by a Haitian immigrant named Yves Volel,
who worked hard, dedicated himself to teaching kids," he said. "He
ultimately returned to Haiti and was assassinated while running for
president."

Cooper added that he has frequently traveled to Haiti, both professionally
and personally.

"I first went there in the early 1990s as a young reporter," he said. "In
2010 my team from CNN was the first international team of journalists on
the ground after the earthquake struck. Like all countries, Haiti is a
collection of people -- rich and poor, well educated and not, good and bad."

Cooper went on to talk about the strength and resilience of the Haitian
people. "I have never met a Haitian who isn't strong," Cooper said. "You
have to be to survive in a place where the government has often abandoned
its people. Where opportunities are few and where Mother Nature has
punished the people far more than anyone should ever be punished."

Friday will mark eight years since the poverty-stricken nation was hit by a
magnitude-7.0 earthquake that killed more than 200,000 people and displaced
hundreds of thousands.

Cooper cited the significance of the anniversary and recounted his coverage
of the 2010 earthquake.

"For days and weeks without help from their government or police, the
people of Haiti dug through rubble with their bare and bloodied hands to
save complete strangers -- guided only by the cries of the wounded and the
dying," Cooper said.

"I was there when a young girl named Bee who'd been trapped in rubble for
nearly a day was rescued by people who had no heavy equipment ... they just
had their God-given strength and their determination ... and their courage."

Cooper became emotional as he tried to continue to share rescue stories
from the devastating earthquake.

"I was there when a 5-year-old boy named Monley
<http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/23/world/my-hero-anderson-cooper-monley/index.html>
was
rescued after being buried for more than seven days. Do you know what
strength it takes to survive on rainwater buried under concrete -- a
5-year-old boy?"

Cooper concluded his tribute by saying that the White House can learn from
the dignity expressed by Haitian people.

"Haitians slap your hand hard when they shake it," Cooper said. "They look
you in the eye, they do not blink. They stand tall. They have dignity. A
dignity many in this White House could learn from. A dignity the President
with all his money and power could learn from as well. On the eve of the
anniversary of the earthquake, on this day when this President has said
what he has about Haitians, we hope the people in Haiti listening tonight
in Port au Prince and Jacmel, and Miami and elsewhere -- we hope they know
our thoughts are with them, and our love is with them."

For article and video, see http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/11/
politics/anderson-cooper-emotional-haiti-tribute-ac-cnntv/index.html?sr=
fbCNN011118anderson-cooper-emotional-haiti-tribute-ac-cnntv1157PMVODtopVideo
*ivetteromero <http://repeatingislands.com/author/ivetteromero/>* | January
12, 2018 at 9:39 am | Tags: Haiti
<http://repeatingislands.com/tag/haiti/>, Haiti
earthquake <http://repeatingislands.com/tag/haiti-earthquake/>, Haitians