[Blackstudies-l] CFP: 'Seamed by its own bitter juice': Voice, Visibility, Literacies - 19 & 20 June 2018

Maria Lima lima at geneseo.edu
Thu Mar 15 09:14:27 EDT 2018

*CALL FOR PAPERS*

*‘Seamed by its own bitter juice’: Voice, Visibility, Literacies *

Tuesday 19 and Wednesday 20 June 2018

Venue: The Knowledge Centre, British Library, London

The Centre for Caribbean and Diaspora Studies (CCDS), in collaboration with
the Eccles Centre at the British Library, is hosting its third ‘Diasporic
Dialogues’ conference on 19th – 20th June, 2018. The deadline for panel and
paper proposals is *20 April 2018.*

CCDS’ *Dialogue* series aims to extend our understanding of diaspora, to
connect diasporas, and in the process, to forge new critical directions.
This year, we turn to Derek Walcott who, in his essay ‘The Muse of History’
gives thanks, albeit a ‘strange’, ‘bitter and yet ennobling thanks’, for a
complex inheritance involving ‘the monumental groaning and soldering of two
great worlds, like the halves of a fruit seamed by its own bitter juice’.
We borrow Walcott’s problematizing of inheritance to pose a provocative
question concerning the diaspora as  ‘inheritance’ and ‘gift’, particularly
in light of the West’s relatively recent entanglement with the colonising
process that is so central to our diasporic genealogy. What are the
meanings of such an ‘inheritance’, particularly in terms of voice,
visibility and literacies that are readily available or not? What part does
‘race’ play in the stories that get to be told in the diaspora and what are
the circumstances of that telling? Where are the silences and what does
research tell us? Where are race/ gender intersections and black women in
all of this?

While centralising the place of the humanities in our deliberations, we
wish to invite proposals from scholars in any discipline interested to
explore critical, theoretical, and creative questions in relation to the
Caribbean and its diasporas. We particularly welcome North-South and
South-South intersections and/or dialogues. Moreover, the year 2018, with
its seventieth anniversary focus on Windrush leads us to considerations of
impact. We intend our critical conversation to centre not only on those who
arrived, but also on the places they left behind, on the generations born
here in the diaspora, and on the place that became home; on routes, roots,
and legacies that have survived. We welcome papers that are
interdisciplinary and / or stretch the limits of this theme to include a
range of forms of cultural expression including music, visual arts and
digital technology. We especially welcome interest from postgraduate and
early-career researchers in the field.

*Possible topics for consideration include but are not limited to the
following*:

• Women, Representation and Diaspora

• Caribbean Imaginaries and ‘Relation’

• Creole languages, Creolisation, Diaspora and Region

• Theoretical Discourse and the Creole Cultural Artefact

• ‘Creative friction’ and Conditions of Cultural Production

• Oral Word/ Written Word: / Visual Art/ Verbal Art

• Mothers / Fathers/ Absence(s)

• Legacies of Slavery and the Gendered Body

• Connecting Diasporas/ Global connectivity

• Windrush Legacies and histories

• Diversity, Europe and Diaspora

• Views of the diaspora from Caribbean harbours

• Race/ Racism/ Institution/ Other

• Colonial/ imperial legacies, Visibility and Voice

• New literacies centring the Caribbean/ diaspora

*Proposal/ Submission Deadline: 20 April 2018*

Notification of Acceptance: 1 May 2018

*Abstracts*

Submit an individual proposal of not more than 250 words *and* a brief
biography (100 words) with full details including institutional
affiliation. Complete panel proposals (250 word overview + 250 word
abstracts for the papers + brief bios) to the conference email. Both
Abstracts and Biogs are required.

Please email abstracts to the Conference Committee:  caribbean at gold.ac.uk

*Photo credit: Joan Anim-Addo*

*Dr Marl'ene Edwin FRSA *

*Deputy Director | Churchill Fellow*

*Centre for Caribbean and Diaspora Studies (CCDS)*

*Goldsmiths, University of London*

*New Cross*

*London, SE14 6NW*

*T: 020 7919 7402*