[Blackstudies-l] Black Studies and local community research

Maria Lima lima at geneseo.edu
Mon Jan 14 10:07:54 EST 2019

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: McWorter, Gerald Arthur <mcworter at illinois.edu>
Date: Mon, Jan 14, 2019 at 10:04 AM
Subject: Black Studies and local community research
To: abdulslist at lists.illinois.edu <abdulslist at lists.illinois.edu>

One of the task of a Black Studies Program is to do research on the local
Black community, including the main places where our students come from.
This is a silence that can't be allowed if Black Studies is to embrace the
slogan we live and work by: *Academic Excellence and Social Responsibility.*

Here are examples of my work representing time in Toledo, Ohio, Chicago,
Illinois, and Urbana, Illinois.

*Black Toledo: A Documentary History of the African American Experience in
Toledo, Ohio*
https://www.haymarketbooks.org/books/1213-black-toledo

*William J Murchison Center for Community Technology (Toledo)*
http://www.murchisoncenter.org/new/

*Harold Washington**: *
*eBlack Research Site on the First Black Mayor of Chicago *
http://eblackchicago.org/HAROLD/

*eChicago*
http://www.echicago.illinois.edu/

*eBlack Champaign Urbana*
http://eblackcu.net/portal/

*InfoCityCU*
https://cpanel.ischool.illinois.edu/~katewill/infocitytalks/

Please share your work with the local community so they can enjoy the
benefits of Black Studies and trust us to be their intellectual asset.