[Blackstudies-l] ‘Your Heritage Is Taken Away’: The Closing of Three Historically Black Colleges

Maria Lima lima at geneseo.edu
Sat Jun 29 07:19:57 EDT 2019

<http://nyt.et.e.sparkpost.com/f/a/kllwhTlq7p2kBolCEbxUCQ~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRe-coRP0RtaHR0cHM6Ly9saXZlaW50ZW50Lm5ld3lvcmt0aW1lc2luZm8uY29tL2NsaWNrP3M9MjA3NTgxJmxpPVJSJm09MzkzOGYxN2Q4MTgyYTIyZmRlMTQ2N2ZmOWQwYmI1YzUmcD1SUl8yMDE5MDYyOVcDbnl0QgoAIhFFF12pdRoTUhBsaW1hQGdlbmVzZW8uZWR1WAQAAAAA>
<http://nyt.et.e.sparkpost.com/f/a/ECLCuQE9chCbLa8y_p26eQ~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRe-coRP0RtaHR0cHM6Ly9saXZlaW50ZW50Lm5ld3lvcmt0aW1lc2luZm8uY29tL2NsaWNrP3M9MjA3NTgyJmxpPVJSJm09MzkzOGYxN2Q4MTgyYTIyZmRlMTQ2N2ZmOWQwYmI1YzUmcD1SUl8yMDE5MDYyOVcDbnl0QgoAIhFFF12pdRoTUhBsaW1hQGdlbmVzZW8uZWR1WAQAAAAA>
Your Heritage Is Taken Away’

View in Browser
<http://nyt.et.e.sparkpost.com/f/a/gQptZgLMH-Cl0ywFl2muOQ~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRe-coRP0SiaHR0cHM6Ly9zdGF0aWMubnl0aW1lcy5jb20vZW1haWwtY29udGVudC9SUl8xNDc3Ny5odG1sP2NhbXBhaWduX2lkPTM3Jmluc3RhbmNlX2lkPTEwNTcyJnNlZ21lbnRfaWQ9MTQ3NzcmdXNlcl9pZD0zOTM4ZjE3ZDgxODJhMjJmZGUxNDY3ZmY5ZDBiYjVjNSZyZWdpX2lkPTQyNzQwODk3VwNueXRCCgAiEUUXXal1GhNSEGxpbWFAZ2VuZXNlby5lZHVYBAAAAAA~>
| Add nytdirect at nytimes.com to your address book.
[image: The New York Times]
<http://nyt.et.e.sparkpost.com/f/a/7agPBgRNAAJukJfm7nOkag~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRe-coRP0S1aHR0cDovL3d3dy5ueXRpbWVzLmNvbS8_dGU9MSZubD1yYWNlLXJlbGF0ZWQmZW1jPWVkaXRfcnJfMjAxOTA2Mjg_Y2FtcGFpZ25faWQ9MzcmaW5zdGFuY2VfaWQ9MTA1NzImc2VnbWVudF9pZD0xNDc3NyZ1c2VyX2lkPTM5MzhmMTdkODE4MmEyMmZkZTE0NjdmZjlkMGJiNWM1JnJlZ2lfaWQ9NDI3NDA4OTcyMDE5MDYyOFcDbnl0QgoAIhFFF12pdRoTUhBsaW1hQGdlbmVzZW8uZWR1WAQAAAAA>
[image: The New York Times]
<http://nyt.et.e.sparkpost.com/f/a/yDxbi5AT5IO88b0N8Wy8OQ~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRe-coRP0TEaHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubnl0aW1lcy5jb20vc3BvdGxpZ2h0L3JhY2U_dGU9MSZubD1yYWNlLXJlbGF0ZWQmZW1jPWVkaXRfcnJfMjAxOTA2Mjg_Y2FtcGFpZ25faWQ9MzcmaW5zdGFuY2VfaWQ9MTA1NzImc2VnbWVudF9pZD0xNDc3NyZ1c2VyX2lkPTM5MzhmMTdkODE4MmEyMmZkZTE0NjdmZjlkMGJiNWM1JnJlZ2lfaWQ9NDI3NDA4OTcyMDE5MDYyOFcDbnl0QgoAIhFFF12pdRoTUhBsaW1hQGdlbmVzZW8uZWR1WAQAAAAA>
Saturday, June 29, 2019
More Race/Related »
<http://nyt.et.e.sparkpost.com/f/a/yDxbi5AT5IO88b0N8Wy8OQ~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRe-coRP0TEaHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubnl0aW1lcy5jb20vc3BvdGxpZ2h0L3JhY2U_dGU9MSZubD1yYWNlLXJlbGF0ZWQmZW1jPWVkaXRfcnJfMjAxOTA2Mjg_Y2FtcGFpZ25faWQ9MzcmaW5zdGFuY2VfaWQ9MTA1NzImc2VnbWVudF9pZD0xNDc3NyZ1c2VyX2lkPTM5MzhmMTdkODE4MmEyMmZkZTE0NjdmZjlkMGJiNWM1JnJlZ2lfaWQ9NDI3NDA4OTcyMDE5MDYyOFcDbnl0QgoAIhFFF12pdRoTUhBsaW1hQGdlbmVzZW8uZWR1WAQAAAAA>
‘Your Heritage Is Taken Away’: The Closing of 3 Historically Black Colleges
<http://nyt.et.e.sparkpost.com/f/a/-Rvfop-oalnK5-pOszD_6A~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRe-coRP4QAAWh0dHBzOi8vd3d3Lm55dGltZXMuY29tLzIwMTkvMDYvMjgvdXMvaGJjdS1jbG9zZWQtZ3JhZHVhdGVzLmh0bWw_ZW1fcG9zPWxhcmdlJnJlZj1oZWFkbGluZSZ0ZT0xJm5sPXJhY2UtcmVsYXRlZCZlbWM9ZWRpdF9ycl8yMDE5MDYyOD9jYW1wYWlnbl9pZD0zNyZpbnN0YW5jZV9pZD0xMDU3MiZzZWdtZW50X2lkPTE0Nzc3JnVzZXJfaWQ9MzkzOGYxN2Q4MTgyYTIyZmRlMTQ2N2ZmOWQwYmI1YzUmcmVnaV9pZD00Mjc0MDg5N2VkaXRfcnJfMjAxOTA2MjhXA255dEIKACIRRRddqXUaE1IQbGltYUBnZW5lc2VvLmVkdVgEAAAAAA~~>
By WADZANAI MHUTE
[image: The main quad of Bennett College.]
<http://nyt.et.e.sparkpost.com/f/a/hwTU4LsKQ8kI7CjuTxyjSw~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRe-coRP0T7aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubnl0aW1lcy5jb20vMjAxOS8wNi8yOC91cy9oYmN1LWNsb3NlZC1ncmFkdWF0ZXMuaHRtbD9lbV9wb3M9bGFyZ2UmcmVmPWltZyZ0ZT0xJm5sPXJhY2UtcmVsYXRlZCZlbWM9ZWRpdF9ycl8yMDE5MDYyOD9jYW1wYWlnbl9pZD0zNyZpbnN0YW5jZV9pZD0xMDU3MiZzZWdtZW50X2lkPTE0Nzc3JnVzZXJfaWQ9MzkzOGYxN2Q4MTgyYTIyZmRlMTQ2N2ZmOWQwYmI1YzUmcmVnaV9pZD00Mjc0MDg5N2VkaXRfcnJfMjAxOTA2MjhXA255dEIKACIRRRddqXUaE1IQbGltYUBnZW5lc2VvLmVkdVgEAAAAAA~~>

The main quad of Bennett College. Jeremy M. Lange for The New York Times
Since the 1930s, the women of Bennett College, one of the nation’s two
historically black colleges for women, have dressed in white
<http://nyt.et.e.sparkpost.com/f/a/zMMtyci7eFaR7NukpE3QOA~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRe-coRP0SkaHR0cDovL3d3dy5iZW5uZXR0LmVkdS9uZXdzL2Nhc3VhbC13aGl0ZS1icmVha2Zhc3QtMjAxNy8_Y2FtcGFpZ25faWQ9MzcmaW5zdGFuY2VfaWQ9MTA1NzImc2VnbWVudF9pZD0xNDc3NyZ1c2VyX2lkPTM5MzhmMTdkODE4MmEyMmZkZTE0NjdmZjlkMGJiNWM1JnJlZ2lfaWQ9NDI3NDA4OTdXA255dEIKACIRRRddqXUaE1IQbGltYUBnZW5lc2VvLmVkdVgEAAAAAA~~>
and sung their “Preference Song” over an annual breakfast. They wave white
linen napkins in the air, cheering “dear old Bennett College,” and welcome
incoming freshmen.
The tradition, near and dear to the Belles of Bennett College, may soon be
lost, along with the school itself.
In December, the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on
Colleges voted to eliminate Bennett’s accreditation
<http://nyt.et.e.sparkpost.com/f/a/EDhAYvjb7lL8Q2iKtog4Ig~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRe-coRP0TcaHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubnByLm9yZy8yMDE5LzAyLzE3LzY5NTU5MzU3MC9mYWNpbmctbG9zcy1vZi1hY2NyZWRpdGF0aW9uLW92ZXItZmluYW5jZXMtd29tZW4tcy1oYmN1LXJhaXNlcy1taWxsaW9ucz9jYW1wYWlnbl9pZD0zNyZpbnN0YW5jZV9pZD0xMDU3MiZzZWdtZW50X2lkPTE0Nzc3JnVzZXJfaWQ9MzkzOGYxN2Q4MTgyYTIyZmRlMTQ2N2ZmOWQwYmI1YzUmcmVnaV9pZD00Mjc0MDg5N1cDbnl0QgoAIhFFF12pdRoTUhBsaW1hQGdlbmVzZW8uZWR1WAQAAAAA>
because of the school’s bleak financial report. Without it, the small,
North Carolina-based private school is ineligible for federal funding, a
likely death knell.
Bennett, founded in 1873, is fighting the decision
<http://nyt.et.e.sparkpost.com/f/a/kNNerKq0SK4lnIyUpzplQQ~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRe-coRP0ThaHR0cDovL3d3dy5zYWNzY29jLm9yZy8yMDE4ZGVjQWN0aW9uc2FuZGRpc2Nsb3N1cmVzdGF0ZW1lbnRzL0Jlbm5ldHQlMjBDb2xsZWdlJTIwRGlzY2xvc3VyZSUyMFN0YXRlbWVudCUyMDIwMThGSU4ucGRmP2NhbXBhaWduX2lkPTM3Jmluc3RhbmNlX2lkPTEwNTcyJnNlZ21lbnRfaWQ9MTQ3NzcmdXNlcl9pZD0zOTM4ZjE3ZDgxODJhMjJmZGUxNDY3ZmY5ZDBiYjVjNSZyZWdpX2lkPTQyNzQwODk3VwNueXRCCgAiEUUXXal1GhNSEGxpbWFAZ2VuZXNlby5lZHVYBAAAAAA~>
in court. If it loses, it could become the latest in a long line of
historically black colleges and universities to succumb to time and
financial woes.
For nearly 200 years, since the opening of Pennsylvania’s Cheyney
University in 1837, H.B.C.U.s have educated thousands of students,
including the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., Justice Thurgood Marshall,
Toni Morrison, Representative Elijah Cummings and Senator Kamala Harris.
But from a high of 120 such schools to about 101 in 2019, many have faced
an uncertain future
<http://nyt.et.e.sparkpost.com/f/a/uWC362q9gEXtoGvkmsykew~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRe-coRP0TNaHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubnByLm9yZy8yMDE3LzAxLzAzLzUwODA3NTI0My9maXNrLXVuaXZlcnNpdHktd29ya3MtdG8tbW92ZS1wYXN0LWNhc2gtc3RyYXBwZWQtaGlzdG9yeT9jYW1wYWlnbl9pZD0zNyZpbnN0YW5jZV9pZD0xMDU3MiZzZWdtZW50X2lkPTE0Nzc3JnVzZXJfaWQ9MzkzOGYxN2Q4MTgyYTIyZmRlMTQ2N2ZmOWQwYmI1YzUmcmVnaV9pZD00Mjc0MDg5N1cDbnl0QgoAIhFFF12pdRoTUhBsaW1hQGdlbmVzZW8uZWR1WAQAAAAA>.
In the last 20 years, six have closed, and several others remain open in
name only after losing accreditation.
According to students, the loss of just one historically black university —
at one point the only option for black students seeking a college degree in
America — is bound to reverberate for generations. Race/Related spoke to
three black H.B.C.U. graduates whose respective schools are now closed
about what the loss of these institutions means to them.
*Concordia College, Selma, Ala. (1922 — 2018)*
[image: Marla Moore, front and second from left, with the Concordia College
Honda All-Star Challenge Quiz Bowl Team.]
Marla Moore, front and second from left, with the Concordia College Honda
All-Star Challenge Quiz Bowl Team.
Marla Moore, 31, graduated from Concordia on April 28, 2018, with more than
150 other students. She transferred there in 2014 from Alabama’s Wallace
Community College.
Ms. Moore said she had a hard time adjusting. The school lacked basic
resources such as a student center and the smart boards that were available
at Wallace, the buildings were old, as were the classrooms and desks, she
said.
“The school was a culture shock for me. Even though I am African-American,
I was used to seeing different people,” Ms. Moore said. She attended
Concordia for one semester and withdrew.
But after an unsuccessful move to Georgia, Ms. Moore decided to return a
year later to complete her degree. It was the sense of community at the
school that brought her back. “It was like a family, people actually cared
and coached me through things,” she said. “When I was tired, I could go to
my teachers, my advisers, unlike at community college. The people wanted
you to be there.”
When Ms. Moore learned the school would close, she said she was devastated.
“I was really concerned about the staff and teachers looking for other jobs
— this was their livelihood. Some had to move out West, some are still out
of work. That is a form of trauma,” she said.
Ms. Moore now works at AmeriCorps, a nonprofit social justice organization,
as a facilitator focused on Dr. King’s strategies of nonviolence. She said
she worries about the fate of the nation’s remaining H.B.C.U.s.
“African-American community culture has already been whitewashed, so to not
have anything at all that’s not yours, I don’t want to think about it,” she
said. “It’s like a part of your heritage is taken away, like during
slavery.”
*Morristown College, Morristown, Tenn. (1881 — 1994)*
[image: A college yearbook photo showing Morristown College in 1987.]
A college yearbook photo showing Morristown College in 1987.
Morristown College
Robert Johnson, 53, graduated from Morristown College in 1988, with a class
size close to 100.
Mr. Johnson, a Philadelphia native, said that attending Morristown College
was his first time away from home, but that the school, which had a
predominantly black staff and a majority of students from out of state, had
a tight-knit community.
“It gave a feeling of being home and also growing up,” he said. “It’s a
place where I grew so much, more than I did anywhere else. I grew as a
person, grew spiritually because Morristown had a rich spiritual life.”
In 1989, the school merged with Knoxville College
<http://nyt.et.e.sparkpost.com/f/a/vQz3PqrhtThFRXGoub09dQ~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRe-coRP0SpaHR0cHM6Ly90ZW5uZXNzZWVlbmN5Y2xvcGVkaWEubmV0L2VudHJpZXMvbW9ycmlzdG93bi1jb2xsZWdlLz9jYW1wYWlnbl9pZD0zNyZpbnN0YW5jZV9pZD0xMDU3MiZzZWdtZW50X2lkPTE0Nzc3JnVzZXJfaWQ9MzkzOGYxN2Q4MTgyYTIyZmRlMTQ2N2ZmOWQwYmI1YzUmcmVnaV9pZD00Mjc0MDg5N1cDbnl0QgoAIhFFF12pdRoTUhBsaW1hQGdlbmVzZW8uZWR1WAQAAAAA>,
another H.B.C.U. in Tennessee, but closed in 1994. Mr. Johnson said the
quality of the education he received at Morristown was high, and that
despite the school’s financial troubles, it was a place where students
could matriculate to a larger university.
“We understood that there had to be an air of excellence: This was where we
were to go to the next phase of the journey, we couldn’t be as good as, we
had to be better than,” he said.
After receiving an associate degree from Morristown, Mr. Johnson attended
Albright College in Pennsylvania, graduating with a Bachelor of Arts, and
then the United Theological Seminary in Ohio, where he received a Master of
Divinity. He is now the senior pastor at the historical Tindley Temple
United Methodist Church in Philadelphia.
“H.B.C.U.s need investments from our own community, our millionaires and
philanthropists and churches should take the time to invest in H.B.C.U.s,”
he said. “They are struggling because there has always been a shoestring
mentality.”
In May, the billionaire investor Robert F. Smith pledged to pay the
collective student debt of the entire 2019 Morehouse College
<http://nyt.et.e.sparkpost.com/f/a/tdFvRlrzit3PC6T2vs5xug~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRe-coRP0T5aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubnl0aW1lcy5jb20vMjAxOS8wNS8yMi91cy9yb2JlcnQtc21pdGgtbW9yZWhvdXNlLWNvbGxlZ2Utc3R1ZGVudC1sb2FuLWRlYnQuaHRtbD90ZT0xJm5sPXJhY2UtcmVsYXRlZCZlbWM9ZWRpdF9ycl8yMDE5MDYyOD9jYW1wYWlnbl9pZD0zNyZpbnN0YW5jZV9pZD0xMDU3MiZzZWdtZW50X2lkPTE0Nzc3JnVzZXJfaWQ9MzkzOGYxN2Q4MTgyYTIyZmRlMTQ2N2ZmOWQwYmI1YzUmcmVnaV9pZD00Mjc0MDg5NzIwMTkwNjI4VwNueXRCCgAiEUUXXal1GhNSEGxpbWFAZ2VuZXNlby5lZHVYBAAAAAA~>
graduating class.
“H.B.C.U.s are definitely needed on two levels,” Mr. Johnson added. “One,
there is something about H.B.C.U.s that lends itself to a pride for
community; it calls us into a culture of oneness. There is a need for them
to be nurtured and not to be swallowed up at traditional universities.
“Second, they are needed because we are rapidly losing our history and
sense of belonging. They are needed now more than ever due to violence and
other things going on in the community.”
*Saint Paul’s College, Lawrenceville, Va. (1888 — 2013)*
[image: Sonya Perdue Bolton, far left, who was in the marching band at
Saint Paul’s College, in 1983.]
Sonya Perdue Bolton, far left, who was in the marching band at Saint Paul’s
College, in 1983.
Sonya Perdue Bolton, 55, graduated from Saint Paul’s College in 2013. It
was the school’s last graduating class
<http://nyt.et.e.sparkpost.com/f/a/gW5XaM_P5t1qZh3fsgDSRQ~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRe-coRP0SXaHR0cHM6Ly9kaXZlcnNlZWR1Y2F0aW9uLmNvbS9hcnRpY2xlLzUzNjY0Lz9jYW1wYWlnbl9pZD0zNyZpbnN0YW5jZV9pZD0xMDU3MiZzZWdtZW50X2lkPTE0Nzc3JnVzZXJfaWQ9MzkzOGYxN2Q4MTgyYTIyZmRlMTQ2N2ZmOWQwYmI1YzUmcmVnaV9pZD00Mjc0MDg5N1cDbnl0QgoAIhFFF12pdRoTUhBsaW1hQGdlbmVzZW8uZWR1WAQAAAAA>.
Ms. Bolton initially attended Saint Paul’s in 1983, and made the dean’s
list in her first semester.
“Saint Paul’s was large enough to be a college, but small enough to be a
family,” Ms. Bolton said. “I am friends today with people from Saint
Paul’s, I am still in touch with my first roommate.”
In Ms. Bolton’s sophomore year, her mother passed away. “The college was
very supportive, they took two van loads of people from college to my
hometown for mom’s funeral. Some people drove including a couple of deans,”
she said.
Ms. Bolton returned for her junior year, but withdrew and got married.
After raising her family, she learned about the school’s accelerated adult
completion program, which helps working adults gain a degree through a
schedule of night classes and abridged courses. Ms. Bolton decided to
finish her degree.
“I kept saying, ‘I am going back to school.’ I wanted to go back to Saint
Paul’s, I wanted my degree to be from Saint Paul’s,” she said.
Twenty-six years after first enrolling, she graduated with a bachelor’s
degree in criminal justice. Ms. Bolton, who now works as a deputy for the
Portsmouth City Treasurer’s Office in Virginia, said she was “absolutely
heartbroken and saddened about the closure of the school.”
Editor’s Picks
*We publish many articles that touch on **race**. Here are a few you
shouldn’t miss**.*
<http://nyt.et.e.sparkpost.com/f/a/gkrZs1rSjH3rGrpyv_Pp2g~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRe-coRP4QwAWh0dHBzOi8vd3d3Lm55dGltZXMuY29tL3NsaWRlc2hvdy8yMDE5LzA2LzI2L3RyYXZlbC9hLWRpZmZlcmVudC1sb29rLWF0LWhpc3RvcmljLWhvbWVzLW9mLXRoZS1zb3V0aC5odG1sP2VtX3Bvcz1zbWFsbCZyZWY9aW1nJm5sX2FydD0wJnRlPTEmbmw9cmFjZS1yZWxhdGVkJmVtYz1lZGl0X3JyXzIwMTkwNjI4P2NhbXBhaWduX2lkPTM3Jmluc3RhbmNlX2lkPTEwNTcyJnNlZ21lbnRfaWQ9MTQ3NzcmdXNlcl9pZD0zOTM4ZjE3ZDgxODJhMjJmZGUxNDY3ZmY5ZDBiYjVjNSZyZWdpX2lkPTQyNzQwODk3ZW1jPWVkaXRfcnJfMjAxOTA2MjhXA255dEIKACIRRRddqXUaE1IQbGltYUBnZW5lc2VvLmVkdVgEAAAAAA~~>
Different Look at Historic Homes of the South
<http://nyt.et.e.sparkpost.com/f/a/NlD57ekJPE-V5RCz632uCA~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRe-coRP4Q1AWh0dHBzOi8vd3d3Lm55dGltZXMuY29tL3NsaWRlc2hvdy8yMDE5LzA2LzI2L3RyYXZlbC9hLWRpZmZlcmVudC1sb29rLWF0LWhpc3RvcmljLWhvbWVzLW9mLXRoZS1zb3V0aC5odG1sP2VtX3Bvcz1zbWFsbCZyZWY9aGVhZGxpbmUmbmxfYXJ0PTAmdGU9MSZubD1yYWNlLXJlbGF0ZWQmZW1jPWVkaXRfcnJfMjAxOTA2Mjg_Y2FtcGFpZ25faWQ9MzcmaW5zdGFuY2VfaWQ9MTA1NzImc2VnbWVudF9pZD0xNDc3NyZ1c2VyX2lkPTM5MzhmMTdkODE4MmEyMmZkZTE0NjdmZjlkMGJiNWM1JnJlZ2lfaWQ9NDI3NDA4OTdlbWM9ZWRpdF9ycl8yMDE5MDYyOFcDbnl0QgoAIhFFF12pdRoTUhBsaW1hQGdlbmVzZW8uZWR1WAQAAAAA>

Tours in places like Savannah, Ga., and Charleston, S.C., used to
concentrate on the wealthy owners of houses, now they are bringing the
enslaved people who also lived in them into focus.
<http://nyt.et.e.sparkpost.com/f/a/pvqeKcYl_j14CmjpSJkipQ~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRe-coRP4QHAWh0dHBzOi8vd3d3Lm55dGltZXMuY29tLzIwMTkvMDYvMjgvdXMvc2FuLWZyYW5jaXNjby1tdXJhbHMuaHRtbD9lbV9wb3M9c21hbGwmcmVmPWltZyZubF9hcnQ9MSZ0ZT0xJm5sPXJhY2UtcmVsYXRlZCZlbWM9ZWRpdF9ycl8yMDE5MDYyOD9jYW1wYWlnbl9pZD0zNyZpbnN0YW5jZV9pZD0xMDU3MiZzZWdtZW50X2lkPTE0Nzc3JnVzZXJfaWQ9MzkzOGYxN2Q4MTgyYTIyZmRlMTQ2N2ZmOWQwYmI1YzUmcmVnaV9pZD00Mjc0MDg5N2VtYz1lZGl0X3JyXzIwMTkwNjI4VwNueXRCCgAiEUUXXal1GhNSEGxpbWFAZ2VuZXNlby5lZHVYBAAAAAA~>
San
Francisco School Will Cover Controversial George Washington Murals
<http://nyt.et.e.sparkpost.com/f/a/9H_HujYwJv49oD_ByW2ngA~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRe-coRP4QMAWh0dHBzOi8vd3d3Lm55dGltZXMuY29tLzIwMTkvMDYvMjgvdXMvc2FuLWZyYW5jaXNjby1tdXJhbHMuaHRtbD9lbV9wb3M9c21hbGwmcmVmPWhlYWRsaW5lJm5sX2FydD0xJnRlPTEmbmw9cmFjZS1yZWxhdGVkJmVtYz1lZGl0X3JyXzIwMTkwNjI4P2NhbXBhaWduX2lkPTM3Jmluc3RhbmNlX2lkPTEwNTcyJnNlZ21lbnRfaWQ9MTQ3NzcmdXNlcl9pZD0zOTM4ZjE3ZDgxODJhMjJmZGUxNDY3ZmY5ZDBiYjVjNSZyZWdpX2lkPTQyNzQwODk3ZW1jPWVkaXRfcnJfMjAxOTA2MjhXA255dEIKACIRRRddqXUaE1IQbGltYUBnZW5lc2VvLmVkdVgEAAAAAA~~>
By
DERRICK BRYSON TAYLOR

“The Life of George Washington,” a series of murals at a high school that
includes images of slaves and a dead Native American, has been a source of
debate for over half a century.
<http://nyt.et.e.sparkpost.com/f/a/hc4KntKbEbACyaJU8dnvqQ~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRe-coRP4QNAWh0dHBzOi8vd3d3Lm55dGltZXMuY29tL2ludGVyYWN0aXZlLzIwMTkvbnlyZWdpb24vcHJpZGUtd2Fsay1ueWMuaHRtbD9lbV9wb3M9c21hbGwmcmVmPWltZyZubF9hcnQ9MiZ0ZT0xJm5sPXJhY2UtcmVsYXRlZCZlbWM9ZWRpdF9ycl8yMDE5MDYyOD9jYW1wYWlnbl9pZD0zNyZpbnN0YW5jZV9pZD0xMDU3MiZzZWdtZW50X2lkPTE0Nzc3JnVzZXJfaWQ9MzkzOGYxN2Q4MTgyYTIyZmRlMTQ2N2ZmOWQwYmI1YzUmcmVnaV9pZD00Mjc0MDg5N2VtYz1lZGl0X3JyXzIwMTkwNjI4VwNueXRCCgAiEUUXXal1GhNSEGxpbWFAZ2VuZXNlby5lZHVYBAAAAAA~>
Walking Tour of 11 Landmarks in Gay New York
<http://nyt.et.e.sparkpost.com/f/a/ET0iZMXrN7ql-yyG26YP7w~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRe-coRP4QSAWh0dHBzOi8vd3d3Lm55dGltZXMuY29tL2ludGVyYWN0aXZlLzIwMTkvbnlyZWdpb24vcHJpZGUtd2Fsay1ueWMuaHRtbD9lbV9wb3M9c21hbGwmcmVmPWhlYWRsaW5lJm5sX2FydD0yJnRlPTEmbmw9cmFjZS1yZWxhdGVkJmVtYz1lZGl0X3JyXzIwMTkwNjI4P2NhbXBhaWduX2lkPTM3Jmluc3RhbmNlX2lkPTEwNTcyJnNlZ21lbnRfaWQ9MTQ3NzcmdXNlcl9pZD0zOTM4ZjE3ZDgxODJhMjJmZGUxNDY3ZmY5ZDBiYjVjNSZyZWdpX2lkPTQyNzQwODk3ZW1jPWVkaXRfcnJfMjAxOTA2MjhXA255dEIKACIRRRddqXUaE1IQbGltYUBnZW5lc2VvLmVkdVgEAAAAAA~~>
By
THE NEW YORK TIMES

This Pride month, we’ll take you to important locations in L.G.B.T.Q.
history and tell you the stories about the gay New Yorkers, icons and
activists who lived and worked there. Along the way we’ll let you know
about some upcoming events and a few insider tips.
<http://nyt.et.e.sparkpost.com/f/a/KIkD_TQjhJ_b3Ewqw4tZNg~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRe-coRP4QGAWh0dHBzOi8vd3d3Lm55dGltZXMuY29tLzIwMTkvMDYvMjcvYXJ0cy9qb2huLXNoZWFyZXItZGVhZC5odG1sP2VtX3Bvcz1zbWFsbCZyZWY9aW1nJm5sX2FydD0zJnRlPTEmbmw9cmFjZS1yZWxhdGVkJmVtYz1lZGl0X3JyXzIwMTkwNjI4P2NhbXBhaWduX2lkPTM3Jmluc3RhbmNlX2lkPTEwNTcyJnNlZ21lbnRfaWQ9MTQ3NzcmdXNlcl9pZD0zOTM4ZjE3ZDgxODJhMjJmZGUxNDY3ZmY5ZDBiYjVjNSZyZWdpX2lkPTQyNzQwODk3ZW1jPWVkaXRfcnJfMjAxOTA2MjhXA255dEIKACIRRRddqXUaE1IQbGltYUBnZW5lc2VvLmVkdVgEAAAAAA~~>
John
Shearer, Who Photographed Tumultuous 1960s, Dies at 72
<http://nyt.et.e.sparkpost.com/f/a/UqYgWB4wD8qfvIK7rFianw~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRe-coRP4QLAWh0dHBzOi8vd3d3Lm55dGltZXMuY29tLzIwMTkvMDYvMjcvYXJ0cy9qb2huLXNoZWFyZXItZGVhZC5odG1sP2VtX3Bvcz1zbWFsbCZyZWY9aGVhZGxpbmUmbmxfYXJ0PTMmdGU9MSZubD1yYWNlLXJlbGF0ZWQmZW1jPWVkaXRfcnJfMjAxOTA2Mjg_Y2FtcGFpZ25faWQ9MzcmaW5zdGFuY2VfaWQ9MTA1NzImc2VnbWVudF9pZD0xNDc3NyZ1c2VyX2lkPTM5MzhmMTdkODE4MmEyMmZkZTE0NjdmZjlkMGJiNWM1JnJlZ2lfaWQ9NDI3NDA4OTdlbWM9ZWRpdF9ycl8yMDE5MDYyOFcDbnl0QgoAIhFFF12pdRoTUhBsaW1hQGdlbmVzZW8uZWR1WAQAAAAA>
By
KATHARINE Q. SEELYE

Mr. Shearer joined the staff of Look magazine at the age of 20, becoming
one of the few black photographers at a major national publication.
<http://nyt.et.e.sparkpost.com/f/a/quc46k1Teu8RNUcgQxwpqw~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRe-coRP4QZAWh0dHBzOi8vd3d3Lm55dGltZXMuY29tLzIwMTkvMDYvMjQvbnlyZWdpb24vc3BlY2lhbGl6ZWQtc2Nob29scy1ueWMtZGVibGFzaW8uaHRtbD9lbV9wb3M9c21hbGwmcmVmPWltZyZubF9hcnQ9NCZ0ZT0xJm5sPXJhY2UtcmVsYXRlZCZlbWM9ZWRpdF9ycl8yMDE5MDYyOD9jYW1wYWlnbl9pZD0zNyZpbnN0YW5jZV9pZD0xMDU3MiZzZWdtZW50X2lkPTE0Nzc3JnVzZXJfaWQ9MzkzOGYxN2Q4MTgyYTIyZmRlMTQ2N2ZmOWQwYmI1YzUmcmVnaV9pZD00Mjc0MDg5N2VtYz1lZGl0X3JyXzIwMTkwNjI4VwNueXRCCgAiEUUXXal1GhNSEGxpbWFAZ2VuZXNlby5lZHVYBAAAAAA~>
Amid
Racial Divisions, Mayor’s Plan to Scrap Elite School Exam Fails
<http://nyt.et.e.sparkpost.com/f/a/R2mcEly0Iwesgz3qKyFWtA~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRe-coRP4QeAWh0dHBzOi8vd3d3Lm55dGltZXMuY29tLzIwMTkvMDYvMjQvbnlyZWdpb24vc3BlY2lhbGl6ZWQtc2Nob29scy1ueWMtZGVibGFzaW8uaHRtbD9lbV9wb3M9c21hbGwmcmVmPWhlYWRsaW5lJm5sX2FydD00JnRlPTEmbmw9cmFjZS1yZWxhdGVkJmVtYz1lZGl0X3JyXzIwMTkwNjI4P2NhbXBhaWduX2lkPTM3Jmluc3RhbmNlX2lkPTEwNTcyJnNlZ21lbnRfaWQ9MTQ3NzcmdXNlcl9pZD0zOTM4ZjE3ZDgxODJhMjJmZGUxNDY3ZmY5ZDBiYjVjNSZyZWdpX2lkPTQyNzQwODk3ZW1jPWVkaXRfcnJfMjAxOTA2MjhXA255dEIKACIRRRddqXUaE1IQbGltYUBnZW5lc2VvLmVkdVgEAAAAAA~~>
By
ELIZA SHAPIRO AND VIVIAN WANG

Opposition from Asian lawmakers and a billionaire’s lobbying push helped
block Bill de Blasio’s plan to desegregate New York’s specialized schools.
<http://nyt.et.e.sparkpost.com/f/a/ZWhaii5XX-A_pYgD-vUYsQ~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRe-coRP4QeAWh0dHBzOi8vd3d3Lm55dGltZXMuY29tLzIwMTkvMDYvMjcvdXMvc3VwcmVtZS1jb3VydC1jaXRpemVuc2hpcC1jZW5zdXMtaW1taWdyYW50cy5odG1sP2VtX3Bvcz1zbWFsbCZyZWY9aW1nJm5sX2FydD01JnRlPTEmbmw9cmFjZS1yZWxhdGVkJmVtYz1lZGl0X3JyXzIwMTkwNjI4P2NhbXBhaWduX2lkPTM3Jmluc3RhbmNlX2lkPTEwNTcyJnNlZ21lbnRfaWQ9MTQ3NzcmdXNlcl9pZD0zOTM4ZjE3ZDgxODJhMjJmZGUxNDY3ZmY5ZDBiYjVjNSZyZWdpX2lkPTQyNzQwODk3ZW1jPWVkaXRfcnJfMjAxOTA2MjhXA255dEIKACIRRRddqXUaE1IQbGltYUBnZW5lc2VvLmVkdVgEAAAAAA~~>
When
It Comes to the Census, the Damage Among Immigrants Is Already Done
<http://nyt.et.e.sparkpost.com/f/a/vs-8gj5qv6IBocX6Sm0Ntg~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRe-coRP4QjAWh0dHBzOi8vd3d3Lm55dGltZXMuY29tLzIwMTkvMDYvMjcvdXMvc3VwcmVtZS1jb3VydC1jaXRpemVuc2hpcC1jZW5zdXMtaW1taWdyYW50cy5odG1sP2VtX3Bvcz1zbWFsbCZyZWY9aGVhZGxpbmUmbmxfYXJ0PTUmdGU9MSZubD1yYWNlLXJlbGF0ZWQmZW1jPWVkaXRfcnJfMjAxOTA2Mjg_Y2FtcGFpZ25faWQ9MzcmaW5zdGFuY2VfaWQ9MTA1NzImc2VnbWVudF9pZD0xNDc3NyZ1c2VyX2lkPTM5MzhmMTdkODE4MmEyMmZkZTE0NjdmZjlkMGJiNWM1JnJlZ2lfaWQ9NDI3NDA4OTdlbWM9ZWRpdF9ycl8yMDE5MDYyOFcDbnl0QgoAIhFFF12pdRoTUhBsaW1hQGdlbmVzZW8uZWR1WAQAAAAA>
By
JOSE A. DEL REAL

With or without a citizenship question on the census form, the political
climate has made immigrant communities wary of opening their doors for
census workers.
<http://nyt.et.e.sparkpost.com/f/a/RBBIGt46ZwMT3dXkivW2eA~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRe-coRP0RtaHR0cHM6Ly9saXZlaW50ZW50Lm5ld3lvcmt0aW1lc2luZm8uY29tL2NsaWNrP3M9MTc0MTQ5JmxpPVJSJm09MzkzOGYxN2Q4MTgyYTIyZmRlMTQ2N2ZmOWQwYmI1YzUmcD1SUl8yMDE5MDYyOVcDbnl0QgoAIhFFF12pdRoTUhBsaW1hQGdlbmVzZW8uZWR1WAQAAAAA>
<http://nyt.et.e.sparkpost.com/f/a/378UA16PXqPmulpYkQRkwQ~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRe-coRP0RtaHR0cHM6Ly9saXZlaW50ZW50Lm5ld3lvcmt0aW1lc2luZm8uY29tL2NsaWNrP3M9MTc0MTUxJmxpPVJSJm09MzkzOGYxN2Q4MTgyYTIyZmRlMTQ2N2ZmOWQwYmI1YzUmcD1SUl8yMDE5MDYyOVcDbnl0QgoAIhFFF12pdRoTUhBsaW1hQGdlbmVzZW8uZWR1WAQAAAAA>
<http://nyt.et.e.sparkpost.com/f/a/2n8o4AroHARj_OTOMEocKQ~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRe-coRP0RtaHR0cHM6Ly9saXZlaW50ZW50Lm5ld3lvcmt0aW1lc2luZm8uY29tL2NsaWNrP3M9MTc0MTUwJmxpPVJSJm09MzkzOGYxN2Q4MTgyYTIyZmRlMTQ2N2ZmOWQwYmI1YzUmcD1SUl8yMDE5MDYyOVcDbnl0QgoAIhFFF12pdRoTUhBsaW1hQGdlbmVzZW8uZWR1WAQAAAAA>

Invite your friends.

Invite someone to subscribe to the Race/Related
<http://nyt.et.e.sparkpost.com/f/a/mjpwFDDicJmC8AVnF2N8Vw~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRe-coRP0TOaHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubnl0aW1lcy5jb20vbmV3c2xldHRlcnMvcmFjZS1yZWxhdGVkP3RlPTEmbmw9cmFjZS1yZWxhdGVkJmVtYz1lZGl0X3JyXzIwMTkwNjI4P2NhbXBhaWduX2lkPTM3Jmluc3RhbmNlX2lkPTEwNTcyJnNlZ21lbnRfaWQ9MTQ3NzcmdXNlcl9pZD0zOTM4ZjE3ZDgxODJhMjJmZGUxNDY3ZmY5ZDBiYjVjNSZyZWdpX2lkPTQyNzQwODk3MjAxOTA2MjhXA255dEIKACIRRRddqXUaE1IQbGltYUBnZW5lc2VvLmVkdVgEAAAAAA~~>
newsletter. Or email your thoughts and suggestions to
racerelated at nytimes.com.

*Need help?*
Review our newsletter help page
<http://nyt.et.e.sparkpost.com/f/a/VRi14ERLKUMvRaYPsGB8ag~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRe-coRP0TiaHR0cHM6Ly9oZWxwLm55dGltZXMuY29tL2hjL2VuLXVzL2FydGljbGVzLzM2MDAwMTQ4ODI2Ni1OZXdzbGV0dGVycyA_dGU9MSZubD1yYWNlLXJlbGF0ZWQmZW1jPWVkaXRfcnJfMjAxOTA2Mjg_Y2FtcGFpZ25faWQ9MzcmaW5zdGFuY2VfaWQ9MTA1NzImc2VnbWVudF9pZD0xNDc3NyZ1c2VyX2lkPTM5MzhmMTdkODE4MmEyMmZkZTE0NjdmZjlkMGJiNWM1JnJlZ2lfaWQ9NDI3NDA4OTcyMDE5MDYyOFcDbnl0QgoAIhFFF12pdRoTUhBsaW1hQGdlbmVzZW8uZWR1WAQAAAAA>
or contact us
<http://nyt.et.e.sparkpost.com/f/a/GG8euSK_HkZtI1K0cM53Bw~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRe-coRP0ThaHR0cHM6Ly9oZWxwLm55dGltZXMuY29tL2hjL2VuLXVzL2FydGljbGVzLzExNTAxNTM4NTg4Ny1Db250YWN0LVVzID90ZT0xJm5sPXJhY2UtcmVsYXRlZCZlbWM9ZWRpdF9ycl8yMDE5MDYyOD9jYW1wYWlnbl9pZD0zNyZpbnN0YW5jZV9pZD0xMDU3MiZzZWdtZW50X2lkPTE0Nzc3JnVzZXJfaWQ9MzkzOGYxN2Q4MTgyYTIyZmRlMTQ2N2ZmOWQwYmI1YzUmcmVnaV9pZD00Mjc0MDg5NzIwMTkwNjI4VwNueXRCCgAiEUUXXal1GhNSEGxpbWFAZ2VuZXNlby5lZHVYBAAAAAA~>
for assistance.
Want more Race/Related?

Follow us on Instagram, where we continue the conversation about race
through visuals.
[image: Instagram]
<http://nyt.et.e.sparkpost.com/f/a/q6WsnCgV6vShVqw_HwUlkA~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRe-coRP0SMaHR0cDovL2luc3RhZ3JhbS5jb20vcmFjZXJlbGF0ZWQ_Y2FtcGFpZ25faWQ9MzcmaW5zdGFuY2VfaWQ9MTA1NzImc2VnbWVudF9pZD0xNDc3NyZ1c2VyX2lkPTM5MzhmMTdkODE4MmEyMmZkZTE0NjdmZjlkMGJiNWM1JnJlZ2lfaWQ9NDI3NDA4OTdXA255dEIKACIRRRddqXUaE1IQbGltYUBnZW5lc2VvLmVkdVgEAAAAAA~~>
INSTAGRAM
<http://nyt.et.e.sparkpost.com/f/a/q6WsnCgV6vShVqw_HwUlkA~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRe-coRP0SMaHR0cDovL2luc3RhZ3JhbS5jb20vcmFjZXJlbGF0ZWQ_Y2FtcGFpZ25faWQ9MzcmaW5zdGFuY2VfaWQ9MTA1NzImc2VnbWVudF9pZD0xNDc3NyZ1c2VyX2lkPTM5MzhmMTdkODE4MmEyMmZkZTE0NjdmZjlkMGJiNWM1JnJlZ2lfaWQ9NDI3NDA4OTdXA255dEIKACIRRRddqXUaE1IQbGltYUBnZW5lc2VvLmVkdVgEAAAAAA~~>
FOLLOW RACE/RELATED
[image: Facebook] FACEBOOK
<http://nyt.et.e.sparkpost.com/f/a/vZ8viCPnBgKLqg9FFI_noA~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRe-coRP0SMaHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZmFjZWJvb2suY29tL255dGltZXM_Y2FtcGFpZ25faWQ9MzcmaW5zdGFuY2VfaWQ9MTA1NzImc2VnbWVudF9pZD0xNDc3NyZ1c2VyX2lkPTM5MzhmMTdkODE4MmEyMmZkZTE0NjdmZjlkMGJiNWM1JnJlZ2lfaWQ9NDI3NDA4OTdXA255dEIKACIRRRddqXUaE1IQbGltYUBnZW5lc2VvLmVkdVgEAAAAAA~~>
[image: Twitter] @nytimes
<http://nyt.et.e.sparkpost.com/f/a/3q6JEd3hVCP5uveBWAgYkQ~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRe-coRP0SHaHR0cHM6Ly90d2l0dGVyLmNvbS9ueXRpbWVzP2NhbXBhaWduX2lkPTM3Jmluc3RhbmNlX2lkPTEwNTcyJnNlZ21lbnRfaWQ9MTQ3NzcmdXNlcl9pZD0zOTM4ZjE3ZDgxODJhMjJmZGUxNDY3ZmY5ZDBiYjVjNSZyZWdpX2lkPTQyNzQwODk3VwNueXRCCgAiEUUXXal1GhNSEGxpbWFAZ2VuZXNlby5lZHVYBAAAAAA~>
[image: Instagram] racerelated
<http://nyt.et.e.sparkpost.com/f/a/DjBQ8SdcPlBrbZpBjWiYfg~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRe-coRP0SRaHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuaW5zdGFncmFtLmNvbS9yYWNlcmVsYXRlZD9jYW1wYWlnbl9pZD0zNyZpbnN0YW5jZV9pZD0xMDU3MiZzZWdtZW50X2lkPTE0Nzc3JnVzZXJfaWQ9MzkzOGYxN2Q4MTgyYTIyZmRlMTQ2N2ZmOWQwYmI1YzUmcmVnaV9pZD00Mjc0MDg5N1cDbnl0QgoAIhFFF12pdRoTUhBsaW1hQGdlbmVzZW8uZWR1WAQAAAAA>
Get more *NYTimes.com newsletters »
<http://nyt.et.e.sparkpost.com/f/a/Ijw62CnIPtdu26EhUds8lg~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRe-coRP0TBaHR0cDovL3d3dy5ueXRpbWVzLmNvbS9uZXdzbGV0dGVycy8_dGU9MSZubD1yYWNlLXJlbGF0ZWQmZW1jPWVkaXRfcnJfMjAxOTA2Mjg_Y2FtcGFpZ25faWQ9MzcmaW5zdGFuY2VfaWQ9MTA1NzImc2VnbWVudF9pZD0xNDc3NyZ1c2VyX2lkPTM5MzhmMTdkODE4MmEyMmZkZTE0NjdmZjlkMGJiNWM1JnJlZ2lfaWQ9NDI3NDA4OTcyMDE5MDYyOFcDbnl0QgoAIhFFF12pdRoTUhBsaW1hQGdlbmVzZW8uZWR1WAQAAAAA>*

Get unlimited access to NYTimes.com and our NYTimes apps. *Subscribe »*
<http://nyt.et.e.sparkpost.com/f/a/FuAbPEf8_p0hDDwVnxBa1g~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRe-coRP0TcaHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubnl0aW1lcy5jb20vc3Vic2NyaXB0aW9uL211bHRpcHJvZHVjdC9scDhLUVdKLmh0bWw_dGU9MSZubD1yYWNlLXJlbGF0ZWQmZW1jPWVkaXRfcnJfMjAxOTA2Mjg_Y2FtcGFpZ25faWQ9MzcmaW5zdGFuY2VfaWQ9MTA1NzImc2VnbWVudF9pZD0xNDc3NyZ1c2VyX2lkPTM5MzhmMTdkODE4MmEyMmZkZTE0NjdmZjlkMGJiNWM1JnJlZ2lfaWQ9NDI3NDA4OTcyMDE5MDYyOFcDbnl0QgoAIhFFF12pdRoTUhBsaW1hQGdlbmVzZW8uZWR1WAQAAAAA>
ABOUT THIS EMAIL

You received this message because you signed up for NYTimes.com's
Race/Related newsletter.
Unsubscribe
<http://nyt.et.e.sparkpost.com/f/a/jZBHbQEY-bp5_YY0l5wQtw~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRe-coRP0SfaHR0cHM6Ly9teWFjY291bnQubnl0aW1lcy5jb20vc2VnL3Vuc3Vic2NyaWJlL1JSL2RlNTY1NzhkZmJlODhlNmUwZmZjMDhiMWRiNjRhMGM2MTQ0NjI5NDIxMzcwOGVmNDBhNzU2MjlkMzI5ZTVhM2YzNGIyODJjNmIyYzg0NDRjNWYyM2NiZDg0YTVjNDk0Yz9zZW5kX2lkPTE0Nzc3VwNueXRCCgAiEUUXXal1GhNSEGxpbWFAZ2VuZXNlby5lZHVYBAAAAAA~>
<http://nyt.et.e.sparkpost.com/f/a/QPhcfV892C0k-4tUzk4loA~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRe-coRP0TKaHR0cHM6Ly9teWFjY291bnQubnl0aW1lcy5jb20vbWVtL2VtYWlsLmh0bWw_dGU9MSZubD1yYWNlLXJlbGF0ZWQmZW1jPWVkaXRfcnJfMjAxOTA2Mjg_Y2FtcGFpZ25faWQ9MzcmaW5zdGFuY2VfaWQ9MTA1NzImc2VnbWVudF9pZD0xNDc3NyZ1c2VyX2lkPTM5MzhmMTdkODE4MmEyMmZkZTE0NjdmZjlkMGJiNWM1JnJlZ2lfaWQ9NDI3NDA4OTcyMDE5MDYyOFcDbnl0QgoAIhFFF12pdRoTUhBsaW1hQGdlbmVzZW8uZWR1WAQAAAAA>
<http://nyt.et.e.sparkpost.com/f/a/Sm3cAjbv9FJrIN3iyFyuOg~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRe-coRP0TsaHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubnl0aW1lcy5jb20vY29udGVudC9oZWxwL3JpZ2h0cy9wcml2YWN5L3BvbGljeS9wcml2YWN5LXBvbGljeS5odG1sP3RlPTEmbmw9cmFjZS1yZWxhdGVkJmVtYz1lZGl0X3JyXzIwMTkwNjI4P2NhbXBhaWduX2lkPTM3Jmluc3RhbmNlX2lkPTEwNTcyJnNlZ21lbnRfaWQ9MTQ3NzcmdXNlcl9pZD0zOTM4ZjE3ZDgxODJhMjJmZGUxNDY3ZmY5ZDBiYjVjNSZyZWdpX2lkPTQyNzQwODk3MjAxOTA2MjhXA255dEIKACIRRRddqXUaE1IQbGltYUBnZW5lc2VvLmVkdVgEAAAAAA~~>
<http://nyt.et.e.sparkpost.com/f/a/vY6xTkoNsPiLQF64ZklG-A~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRe-coRP0TSaHR0cHM6Ly9teWFjY291bnQubnl0aW1lcy5jb20vbWVtYmVyY2VudGVyL2hlbHAuaHRtbD90ZT0xJm5sPXJhY2UtcmVsYXRlZCZlbWM9ZWRpdF9ycl8yMDE5MDYyOD9jYW1wYWlnbl9pZD0zNyZpbnN0YW5jZV9pZD0xMDU3MiZzZWdtZW50X2lkPTE0Nzc3JnVzZXJfaWQ9MzkzOGYxN2Q4MTgyYTIyZmRlMTQ2N2ZmOWQwYmI1YzUmcmVnaV9pZD00Mjc0MDg5NzIwMTkwNjI4VwNueXRCCgAiEUUXXal1GhNSEGxpbWFAZ2VuZXNlby5lZHVYBAAAAAA~>
| Advertise
<http://nyt.et.e.sparkpost.com/f/a/WSD2gqBa86Ejt8oeigtZxA~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRe-coRP0SDaHR0cDovL255dG1lZGlha2l0LmNvbS8_Y2FtcGFpZ25faWQ9MzcmaW5zdGFuY2VfaWQ9MTA1NzImc2VnbWVudF9pZD0xNDc3NyZ1c2VyX2lkPTM5MzhmMTdkODE4MmEyMmZkZTE0NjdmZjlkMGJiNWM1JnJlZ2lfaWQ9NDI3NDA4OTdXA255dEIKACIRRRddqXUaE1IQbGltYUBnZW5lc2VvLmVkdVgEAAAAAA~~>
Copyright 2019 The New York Times Company
620 Eighth Avenue New York, NY 10018