[Blackstudies-l] READING TONIGHT at 6

Maria Lima lima at geneseo.edu
Thu Mar 7 08:29:27 EST 2019

A must-NOT-miss opportunity to hear Jamel Brinkley.  I read one of his
stories, "Wolf and Rhonda," and he is AMAZING!  Hope to see you at the
Tower Room.

*Thursday 7th March*
Short-story writer *Jamel Brinkley *reads* 6-7pm *in *Doty Tower Room (300)
*(the aim is post department meeting and pre-Alice's film! And our own
Rachel and Kristen read in Rochester the next night
<https://wab.org/event/2nd-annual-international-womens-day-reading/>!)

*About the Reader:*
Jamel Brinkley's debut collection of stories, *A Lucky Man*, tells nine
stories that reflect the tenderness and vulnerability of black men and boys
whose hopes sometimes betray them: an imaginative young boy from the Bronx
goes swimming with his group from day camp at a backyard pool in the
suburbs; a teen intent on proving himself a man through the all-night revel
of J’Ouvert can’t help but look out for his impressionable younger brother;
and, at a capoeira conference, two brothers grapple with how to tell the
story of their family, caught in the dance of their painful, fractured
history.

The Geneseo Literary Forum is made possible by the kind sponsorship of the
Provost's Office, Student and Campus Life, the English Department, Black
Studies, and Gandy Dancer, Geneseo's SUNY-wide literary journal.