[Blackstudies-l] NEW COURSE: F/Black Cinema

Maria Lima lima at geneseo.edu
Thu Mar 14 08:27:51 EDT 2019

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Jun Okada <okada at geneseo.edu>
Date: Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 8:09 AM
Subject: [English-L] NEW COURSE: F/Black Cinema
To: English-l at geneseo.edu <english-l at geneseo.edu>, <filmminors-l at geneseo.edu>,
Geneseo Africana / Black Studies <abs at geneseo.edu>, <history-l at geneseo.edu>,
<whatsup-l at geneseo.edu>

Please announce to your colleagues and/or advisees! This fall, I am
offering a new Fine Arts General Ed course, F/Black Cinema: History
and Representation. This is a course that will count toward one Fine
Arts requirement and introduce students to the Africana/Black Studies
major and minor.

COURSE DESCRIPTION:

Black Cinema: History and Representation explores films about the
Black experience in America, beginning with the silent films of Oscar
Micheaux to the recent Academy award winning Moonlight (Barry Jenkins
2016) and Blackkklansman (Spike Lee, 2018). Other filmmakers and
movements include Blaxpoitation, the L.A. Rebellion filmmakers, “race
films,” the All-Black Hollywood musical, and contemporary Black
independent film.

This course examines what it means to make films as a racial minority
both within and beside the most powerful media industry in the world,
Hollywood. What are the struggles, opportunities, and examples of this
artistic, and often, political, process?  While our emphasis will be
on films produced and directed by Black Americans, we will also
consider the relationship between Black filmmakers, performers, and
spectators and the Hollywood and Global film industries. In addition,
what is the relationship between history, memory, and cinema about the
Black experience? This course can be used for credit toward the Fine
Arts General Ed Requirement, majors and minors in English, History,
Film Studies, and Black Studies.

Thank you,

Jun Okada PhD
Author of Making Asian American Film and Video: History, Institutions,
Movements
https://www.rutgersuniversitypress.org/making-asian-american-film-and-video/9780813565019
Associate Professor
Department of English, State University of New York, Geneseo