[Blackstudies-l] Study abroad in Ghana (West Africa) this summer - Info session MONDAY @ 2:30

Jennifer Rogalsky rogalsky at geneseo.edu
Sun Nov 10 21:06:01 EST 2019

If you've ever considered studying abroad in Africa, please join our info
session to explore your options!
The SOCL and GEOG courses can count toward many of your major and minor
programs (see below).
Come to our information session on Monday, so you can bring information
home to discuss over Thanksgiving Break

````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

WHAT: Information/interest session for GEOG 388 and SOCL 478 in Ghana,
May-June 2020.

WHEN: Monday, November 11, at 2:30pm

WHERE: Bailey 204

MORE INFORMATION:

GEOG 388: URBAN LIVES & LIVELIHOODS IN GHANA (Dr. Jennifer Rogalsky:
rogalsky at geneseo.edu)

Course counts for Geography, Urban Studies, Environmental Studies,
International Relations (study abroad requirement and political economy &
developing world tracks), and Africana & Black Studies

SOCL 478: GLOBAL DEVELOPMENT IN GHANA (Prof. Jo Kirk: kirk at geneseo.edu)

Course counts for Sociology, International Relations (study abroad
requirement and political economy & developing world tracks), Conflict
Studies, and Africana & Black Studies

The approach will be largely experiential and applied learning, and site
visits will include schools, hospitals, factories and other businesses,
farms, markets, national parks, wildlife sanctuaries, and community
development projects. We will also have cultural excursions to enjoy the
art, music, and natural beauty of the country. For GEOG and SOCL the
program will include service days, earning one credit of INTD 250, spent at
schools and other sites.

The U.S. State Department ranks Ghana as a Level 1 country, the safest
category for travel; the Global Peace Index ranks Ghana at 44 out of 163,
compared to the U.S. ranking of 128.

If you have dismissed the idea of study abroad because of the cost, visit
the Study Abroad Office and Dr Michael Mills to learn about scholarships.
And come to a Ghana info session to learn how much value this study abroad
program offers ...

--
Jennifer Rogalsky, PhD
Associate Professor and Department Chair