[Blackstudies-l] NYTimes.com: Review: Lorraine Hansberry ‘Les Blancs’ Is an Anguished Play for an Anguished Moment

Maria Lima lima at geneseo.edu
Mon Jul 6 10:49:17 EDT 2020

link to review is below -- free streaming until the 9th

[image: National Theatre]
Streaming for free this week
[image: Watch the trailer]
<http://links.nationaltheatre.mkt6628.com/ctt?ms=NDI4NjEwNDES1&kn=37&r=NTU3MDE2MDY1ODQ0S0&b=0&j=MTgwMDEzNzcyNQS2&mt=2&rj=MTgwMDEzNzcyNQS2&rt=0>
★★★★★ ‘An exquisite production.’ Daily Telegraph
This week we premiere our never-before-seen archive recording of
*Les Blancs*, the final work by Lorraine Hansberry: a brave, illuminating
and powerful play that confronts the hope and tragedy of revolution.

As an African country teeters on the edge of civil war, its society
prepares to drive out their colonial present and claim an independent
future. Yaël Farber directs a cast featuring Siân Phillips and Danny Sapani.

Head to our YouTube playlist before the stream to watch Ola Animashawun
from the National Theatre, join director Dawn Walton and producer Tobi
Kyeremateng to discuss the role of trauma in the play.
Streaming from 7pm tonight until 9 July.
Watch the trailer
<http://links.nationaltheatre.mkt6628.com/ctt?ms=NDI4NjEwNDES1&kn=9&r=NTU3MDE2MDY1ODQ0S0&b=0&j=MTgwMDEzNzcyNQS2&mt=2&rj=MTgwMDEzNzcyNQS2&rt=0>
Watch the Playlist
<http://links.nationaltheatre.mkt6628.com/ctt?ms=NDI4NjEwNDES1&kn=23&r=NTU3MDE2MDY1ODQ0S0&b=0&j=MTgwMDEzNzcyNQS2&mt=2&rj=MTgwMDEzNzcyNQS2&rt=0>

 From The New York Times:

Review: ‘Les Blancs’ Is an Anguished Play for an Anguished Moment

This Lorraine Hansberry play, set in the 1960s in a fictional African
country, speaks incisively to the American present.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/05/theater/les-blancs-review-lorraine-hansberry.html?smid=em-share

10