[Blackstudies-l] Race/Related: A Descendant of Black Suffragists Studies Her Past

Maria Lima lima at geneseo.edu
Sat Jul 11 10:43:44 EDT 2020

and so much more 😇
Plus, a century after the 19th Amendment, suffragists' descendants talk
about what's next.
View in browser
<https://nl.nytimes.com/f/a/yAs-90UKy2y0GiVJ5wZ1ew~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRg7CDeP4QoAWh0dHBzOi8vbWVzc2FnaW5nLWN1c3RvbS1uZXdzbGV0dGVycy5ueXRpbWVzLmNvbS90ZW1wbGF0ZS9vYWt2Mj9jYW1wYWlnbl9pZD0zNyZlbWM9ZWRpdF9ycl8yMDIwMDcxMSZpbnN0YW5jZV9pZD0yMDIzNCZubD1yYWNlJTJGcmVsYXRlZCZwcm9kdWN0Q29kZT1SUiZyZWdpX2lkPTQyNzQwODk3JnNlZ21lbnRfaWQ9MzMxNjYmdGU9MSZ1cmk9bnl0JTNBJTJGJTJGbmV3c2xldHRlciUyRjQ4MmU2NjJkLWNmZTEtNTI1MC1hMTYxLWFlMDA1ZWRiZmFlMSZ1c2VyX2lkPTM5MzhmMTdkODE4MmEyMmZkZTE0NjdmZjlkMGJiNWM1VwNueXRCCgBB3psJX2yRJaNSEGxpbWFAZ2VuZXNlby5lZHVYBAAAAAA~>
|nytimes.com
<https://nl.nytimes.com/f/a/ohIACd8Lbih1RN3deDjYDw~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRg7CDeP0SwaHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubnl0aW1lcy5jb20vP2NhbXBhaWduX2lkPTM3JmVtYz1lZGl0X3JyXzIwMjAwNzExJmluc3RhbmNlX2lkPTIwMjM0Jm5sPXJhY2UlMkZyZWxhdGVkJnJlZ2lfaWQ9NDI3NDA4OTcmc2VnbWVudF9pZD0zMzE2NiZ0ZT0xJnVzZXJfaWQ9MzkzOGYxN2Q4MTgyYTIyZmRlMTQ2N2ZmOWQwYmI1YzVXA255dEIKAEHemwlfbJElo1IQbGltYUBnZW5lc2VvLmVkdVgEAAAAAA~~>
Continue reading the main story
<#m_1598696992576953542_a11y-skip-ad-marquee>

[image: More Race/Related]
<https://nl.nytimes.com/f/a/1gYz46j1Wc8JFIit9i69Fw~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRg7CDeP0S-aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubnl0aW1lcy5jb20vc3BvdGxpZ2h0L3JhY2U_Y2FtcGFpZ25faWQ9MzcmZW1jPWVkaXRfcnJfMjAyMDA3MTEmaW5zdGFuY2VfaWQ9MjAyMzQmbmw9cmFjZSUyRnJlbGF0ZWQmcmVnaV9pZD00Mjc0MDg5NyZzZWdtZW50X2lkPTMzMTY2JnRlPTEmdXNlcl9pZD0zOTM4ZjE3ZDgxODJhMjJmZGUxNDY3ZmY5ZDBiYjVjNVcDbnl0QgoAQd6bCV9skSWjUhBsaW1hQGdlbmVzZW8uZWR1WAQAAAAA>

July 11, 2020

By Giulia McDonnell Nieto del Rio
The suffragist Adella Hunt Logan in her wedding dress in Atlanta in 1888. A
teacher at the Tuskegee Institute in Alabama, Ms. Logan fought for
suffrage, social reform and better health care for Black communities.Thomas
Askew, reproduction by Mark Gulezian
Descendant of Black Suffragists Studies Her Past

Adele Logan Alexander did not see herself becoming a historian and author.
But when she was 46 years old, inspired by the fascinating role her
grandmothers played in the suffrage movement, she shifted course and
enrolled at Howard University to pursue graduate degrees in history — and
to learn more about her own ancestral past.

Ms. Alexander’s grandmothers, including Adella Logan, for whom Ms.
Alexander was named, were both light-skinned Black suffragists who passed
as white and so they attended white suffrage conferences in the South. They
would then share the information with the Black community. Ms. Alexander’s
book, “Princess of the Hither Isles,” focuses on the work of one of her
grandmothers.

I caught up with Ms. Alexander, who is featured in a collection of stories
<https://nl.nytimes.com/f/newsletter/2v4jVoxXKW-NI9nutFId1w~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRg7CDeP0TlaHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubnl0aW1lcy5jb20vMjAyMC8wNy8wMi9zdHlsZS93b21hbi1zdWZmcmFnZS1tb3ZlbWVudC1kZXNjZW5kLmh0bWw_Y2FtcGFpZ25faWQ9MzcmZW1jPWVkaXRfcnJfMjAyMDA3MTEmaW5zdGFuY2VfaWQ9MjAyMzQmbmw9cmFjZSUyRnJlbGF0ZWQmcmVnaV9pZD00Mjc0MDg5NyZzZWdtZW50X2lkPTMzMTY2JnRlPTEmdXNlcl9pZD0zOTM4ZjE3ZDgxODJhMjJmZGUxNDY3ZmY5ZDBiYjVjNVcDbnl0QgoAQd6bCV9skSWjUhBsaW1hQGdlbmVzZW8uZWR1WAQAAAAA>
marking the 100th anniversary (this summer) of the suffrage movement, to
talk about her family’s roots, how she became a historian and what her
ancestors would think of today’s Black Lives Matter movement.

This interview has been lightly edited and condensed for clarity.

GM: Can you tell me about your family’s background?

AA: My grandparents’ generation of Logans went to Tuskegee University
shortly after it opened. My grandfather, Warren Logan, had known Booker T.
from their days at Hampton Institute in the 1870s, and he became VP and
treasurer at TI almost from its inception, until his retirement in the
1920s. Warren had been born into slavery in 1858 and remained enslaved
through the Civil War.
Continue reading the main story <#m_1598696992576953542_a11y-skip-0>
<https://nl.nytimes.com/f/a/sUBsJIAKaaXeILz-j_69yA~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRg7CDeP0RtaHR0cHM6Ly9saXZlaW50ZW50Lm5ld3lvcmt0aW1lc2luZm8uY29tL2NsaWNrP3M9MTc0MTQ5JmxpPVJSJm09MzkzOGYxN2Q4MTgyYTIyZmRlMTQ2N2ZmOWQwYmI1YzUmcD1SUl8yMDIwMDcxMVcDbnl0QgoAQd6bCV9skSWjUhBsaW1hQGdlbmVzZW8uZWR1WAQAAAAA>
<https://nl.nytimes.com/f/a/g-SBOOrq0JAo_d5K2NRf4w~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRg7CDeP0RtaHR0cHM6Ly9saXZlaW50ZW50Lm5ld3lvcmt0aW1lc2luZm8uY29tL2NsaWNrP3M9MTc0MTUxJmxpPVJSJm09MzkzOGYxN2Q4MTgyYTIyZmRlMTQ2N2ZmOWQwYmI1YzUmcD1SUl8yMDIwMDcxMVcDbnl0QgoAQd6bCV9skSWjUhBsaW1hQGdlbmVzZW8uZWR1WAQAAAAA>
<https://nl.nytimes.com/f/a/bi0X4wP6B_GKB7ldEInGMg~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRg7CDeP0RtaHR0cHM6Ly9saXZlaW50ZW50Lm5ld3lvcmt0aW1lc2luZm8uY29tL2NsaWNrP3M9MTc0MTUwJmxpPVJSJm09MzkzOGYxN2Q4MTgyYTIyZmRlMTQ2N2ZmOWQwYmI1YzUmcD1SUl8yMDIwMDcxMVcDbnl0QgoAQd6bCV9skSWjUhBsaW1hQGdlbmVzZW8uZWR1WAQAAAAA>

My paternal grandmother, Adella Hunt, was born free, a very rare
circumstance in Georgia, during the Civil War. I think the Hunts were an
intact family — at least her mother had eight children over almost 20 years
by the same white man — and members of her family were definitely among the
more privileged African-Americans.

GM: How did you find out about your paternal grandmother’s work as a
suffragist?

AA: In the late 70s, a young historian by the name of Rosalyn Terborg Penn
was working on her history dissertation at Howard University about Black
women in the suffrage movement. She knew that I was related to Adella Hunt
Logan, and shared her information with me, including my grandmother’s
published writings that she’d found through her research.

Then, I asked my mother and she told me about how her mother and Adella
Hunt would go to white suffrage conventions together because both of them
could pass for white. Then they’d come back to the community and share the
information and the lessons that they had learned from the suffragists.
Continue reading the main story <#m_1598696992576953542_a11y-skip-1>
<https://nl.nytimes.com/f/a/w5VnKGANPQQ7KwwnfqqvIw~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRg7CDeP0RtaHR0cHM6Ly9saXZlaW50ZW50Lm5ld3lvcmt0aW1lc2luZm8uY29tL2NsaWNrP3M9MjA3NTc3JmxpPVJSJm09MzkzOGYxN2Q4MTgyYTIyZmRlMTQ2N2ZmOWQwYmI1YzUmcD1SUl8yMDIwMDcxMVcDbnl0QgoAQd6bCV9skSWjUhBsaW1hQGdlbmVzZW8uZWR1WAQAAAAA>
<https://nl.nytimes.com/f/a/XMvCi26S8z8FrxUMDGxfDQ~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRg7CDeP0RtaHR0cHM6Ly9saXZlaW50ZW50Lm5ld3lvcmt0aW1lc2luZm8uY29tL2NsaWNrP3M9MjA3NTc5JmxpPVJSJm09MzkzOGYxN2Q4MTgyYTIyZmRlMTQ2N2ZmOWQwYmI1YzUmcD1SUl8yMDIwMDcxMVcDbnl0QgoAQd6bCV9skSWjUhBsaW1hQGdlbmVzZW8uZWR1WAQAAAAA>
<https://nl.nytimes.com/f/a/DQu7lf9AywKKs4xI59g3Bg~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRg7CDeP0RtaHR0cHM6Ly9saXZlaW50ZW50Lm5ld3lvcmt0aW1lc2luZm8uY29tL2NsaWNrP3M9MjA3NTc4JmxpPVJSJm09MzkzOGYxN2Q4MTgyYTIyZmRlMTQ2N2ZmOWQwYmI1YzUmcD1SUl8yMDIwMDcxMVcDbnl0QgoAQd6bCV9skSWjUhBsaW1hQGdlbmVzZW8uZWR1WAQAAAAA>
Ms. Logan, third from left, with her family at the Tuskegee Institute in
1913, celebrating her 25th anniversary with her husband, Warren Logan,
center. Their son Arthur, standing in front of Warren, was the father of
the historian Adele Logan Alexander.Arthur P. Bedou, reproduction by Mark
Gulezian

GM: Do you see any similarities between what your predecessors were trying
to achieve during the suffragist movement and the demands for equality of
today?

AA: The suffrage movement was for women and the Black Lives Matter movement
and other contemporary movements are movements for racial equality and
racial empowerment. Those are not necessarily the same things, although
they are both, and I think that all of my antecedents were very committed
to the idea of equality for everybody and empowerment for everybody.

GM: What about Adella’s suffrage work set you in an academic direction?

AA: I asked myself, “Why in a place and time, when everybody seemed to
believe that she wasn’t worthy of the vote both because she wasn’t white,
and also because she wasn’t male, did she pursue that path?” I have some
good hunches which I’ve pursued and put forth in several books, but I think
that three factors were pre-eminent. First, that she was born free when the
vast majority of others were not, second that she had a strong interracial
family that supported her, and third, that she got a very good education.
She was smart, hardworking, and very lucky.
Continue reading the main story <#m_1598696992576953542_a11y-skip-2>
<https://nl.nytimes.com/f/a/EN_j58nPzEmiQyQbpETXOw~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRg7CDeP0RtaHR0cHM6Ly9saXZlaW50ZW50Lm5ld3lvcmt0aW1lc2luZm8uY29tL2NsaWNrP3M9NzI4Njk5JmxpPVJSJm09MzkzOGYxN2Q4MTgyYTIyZmRlMTQ2N2ZmOWQwYmI1YzUmcD1SUl8yMDIwMDcxMVcDbnl0QgoAQd6bCV9skSWjUhBsaW1hQGdlbmVzZW8uZWR1WAQAAAAA>
<https://nl.nytimes.com/f/a/lHDp5sypfdRjYHGk9lmQLQ~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRg7CDeP0RtaHR0cHM6Ly9saXZlaW50ZW50Lm5ld3lvcmt0aW1lc2luZm8uY29tL2NsaWNrP3M9NzI4NzAwJmxpPVJSJm09MzkzOGYxN2Q4MTgyYTIyZmRlMTQ2N2ZmOWQwYmI1YzUmcD1SUl8yMDIwMDcxMVcDbnl0QgoAQd6bCV9skSWjUhBsaW1hQGdlbmVzZW8uZWR1WAQAAAAA>
<https://nl.nytimes.com/f/a/kMRM-GUsoadXdqONd3Gs7Q~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRg7CDeP0RtaHR0cHM6Ly9saXZlaW50ZW50Lm5ld3lvcmt0aW1lc2luZm8uY29tL2NsaWNrP3M9NzI4NzAyJmxpPVJSJm09MzkzOGYxN2Q4MTgyYTIyZmRlMTQ2N2ZmOWQwYmI1YzUmcD1SUl8yMDIwMDcxMVcDbnl0QgoAQd6bCV9skSWjUhBsaW1hQGdlbmVzZW8uZWR1WAQAAAAA>

Hearing these stories about her really raised my curiosity to know more
about her. She lived in a society where the message that you got from
virtually everybody and from societal conditions was that you weren’t equal
and you weren’t deserving, both because you weren’t white and because you
weren’t male. I think that’s what guided all of my research since then.
My ___ Was a Suffragist
Photo illustration by Andrew Rodriguez

On Aug. 18, 1920, Tennessee became the 36th state to ratify the 19th
Amendment. Eight days later, ratification was certified by the secretary of
state. The right to vote for women across the United States was officially
enshrined in the Constitution.

The codification of suffrage was the result of nearly a century of
activism, which began even before the Seneca Falls convention in 1848. From
those early years to the formation of the National American Woman Suffrage
Association (NAWSA) in 1890 to the Woman Suffrage Procession in Washington
in 1913, generations of American women and men devoted their lives to
fighting for the vote. The movement was a decades-long game of democratic
Telephone: Of the 68 women who gathered in that town in upstate New York
and declared what was then a radical notion — that all men and women were
created equal — only one, Charlotte Woodward Pierce
<https://nl.nytimes.com/f/a/cYwj-QsXj-tzQPZiCglliA~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRg7CDeP4QJAWh0dHBzOi8vd3d3LnNtaXRoc29uaWFubWFnLmNvbS9zbWFydC1uZXdzL29ubHktb25lLXdvbWFuLXdoby13YXMtc2VuZWNhLWZhbGxzLWxpdmVkLXNlZS13b21lbi13aW4tdm90ZS0xODA5NjQwNDQvP2NhbXBhaWduX2lkPTM3JmVtYz1lZGl0X3JyXzIwMjAwNzExJmluc3RhbmNlX2lkPTIwMjM0Jm5sPXJhY2UlMkZyZWxhdGVkJnJlZ2lfaWQ9NDI3NDA4OTcmc2VnbWVudF9pZD0zMzE2NiZ0ZT0xJnVzZXJfaWQ9MzkzOGYxN2Q4MTgyYTIyZmRlMTQ2N2ZmOWQwYmI1YzVXA255dEIKAEHemwlfbJElo1IQbGltYUBnZW5lc2VvLmVkdVgEAAAAAA~~>,
would live to see their dream become a reality.

And their struggle did not end with the amendment. Well after 1920, there
were many women in the United States, including Native Americans and
Chinese immigrants, who were not able to vote and many more, particularly
African-Americans, for whom it was extremely difficult. One hundred years
later, the country is continuing to grapple with many of the same questions
the suffragists raised, not only who gets to vote but also what it means to
be a citizen and how to ensure that all Americans are equal in the eyes of
the law. And as we mark this centennial, the generation that came after the
suffragists, and the ones that have come after that, are still in the fight.

[Read more: One hundred years after the 19th Amendment, suffragists’
descendants consider how far we’ve come and how far we still have to go
<https://nl.nytimes.com/f/newsletter/2v4jVoxXKW-NI9nutFId1w~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRg7CDeP0TlaHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubnl0aW1lcy5jb20vMjAyMC8wNy8wMi9zdHlsZS93b21hbi1zdWZmcmFnZS1tb3ZlbWVudC1kZXNjZW5kLmh0bWw_Y2FtcGFpZ25faWQ9MzcmZW1jPWVkaXRfcnJfMjAyMDA3MTEmaW5zdGFuY2VfaWQ9MjAyMzQmbmw9cmFjZSUyRnJlbGF0ZWQmcmVnaV9pZD00Mjc0MDg5NyZzZWdtZW50X2lkPTMzMTY2JnRlPTEmdXNlcl9pZD0zOTM4ZjE3ZDgxODJhMjJmZGUxNDY3ZmY5ZDBiYjVjNVcDbnl0QgoAQd6bCV9skSWjUhBsaW1hQGdlbmVzZW8uZWR1WAQAAAAA>
.]
Susan B. Anthony during a portrait session circa 1891.Library of Congress
Moments of Joy

We can all agree that it’s been a tough year of bleak news. And so we
wanted to share the ways in which we are finding joy these days. Please
tell us what you’ve been doing to find happiness and comfort, and we may
use your responses in an upcoming newsletter.

>From Fahima Haque, digital storytelling and training editor at The New York
Times:

Anyone who knows me, knows I struggle in my relationship with my mother.
It’s a fraught, unstable one. I value, respect and love her, but we view
the world fundamentally differently.

My parents emigrated from Bangladesh to Queens, N.Y., in the 1970s and it
was a painful time for them. Despite being about 8,000 miles from home,
they clung to their homeland in many ways, especially when it came to food.
Thankfully, the kitchen has consistently been a refuge for my mother and me
despite our iciest moments.

My favorite breakfast is a mughlai paratha, a popular street food found in
Bangladesh that traces back to the Mughal Empire. It’s a pan fried crisp
paratha stuffed with fluffy eggs, fiery chilies and crisp vegetables gently
spiced with earthy turmeric. It’s addictive in its contrasting textures,
and it’s super savory.

I recently watched my mom make it. She was uncharacteristically patient and
clearly at ease making something she had spent her entire life making. She
was so happy to share her recipe with me. I cook and bake a lot, reading
and watching about food traditions I didn’t previously know, but I could
only learn how to make this classic Bengali dish from my mother.

I’m now testing the recipe for The New York Times’ Cooking department — and
I’m hyped about it. I spent a lot of time being ashamed of where I came
from when I was younger. Now, I take great pride in being able to share
something that has such history and helps remind me that feeding someone is
love even if they don’t know how to verbalize it the way you want them to —
and that can be enough.

EDITOR’S PICKS

We publish many articles that touch on race. Here are a few you shouldn’t
miss.
[image: Article Image]

Mel Evans/Associated Press
<https://nl.nytimes.com/f/newsletter/jB263nQZC_D4DesOpU9OrQ~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRg7CDeP0TVaHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubnl0aW1lcy5jb20vMjAyMC8wNy8xMC9idXNpbmVzcy9nb3lhLWJveWNvdHQuaHRtbD9jYW1wYWlnbl9pZD0zNyZlbWM9ZWRpdF9ycl8yMDIwMDcxMSZpbnN0YW5jZV9pZD0yMDIzNCZubD1yYWNlJTJGcmVsYXRlZCZyZWdpX2lkPTQyNzQwODk3JnNlZ21lbnRfaWQ9MzMxNjYmdGU9MSZ1c2VyX2lkPTM5MzhmMTdkODE4MmEyMmZkZTE0NjdmZjlkMGJiNWM1VwNueXRCCgBB3psJX2yRJaNSEGxpbWFAZ2VuZXNlby5lZHVYBAAAAAA~>
  Goya Foods Boycott Takes Off After Its President Praises Trump

“We’re all truly blessed at the same time to have a leader like President
Trump,” Bob Unanue said on Thursday at the White House. Critics said they
would no longer use his products.

By Derrick Bryson Taylor
<https://nl.nytimes.com/f/newsletter/jB263nQZC_D4DesOpU9OrQ~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRg7CDeP0TVaHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubnl0aW1lcy5jb20vMjAyMC8wNy8xMC9idXNpbmVzcy9nb3lhLWJveWNvdHQuaHRtbD9jYW1wYWlnbl9pZD0zNyZlbWM9ZWRpdF9ycl8yMDIwMDcxMSZpbnN0YW5jZV9pZD0yMDIzNCZubD1yYWNlJTJGcmVsYXRlZCZyZWdpX2lkPTQyNzQwODk3JnNlZ21lbnRfaWQ9MzMxNjYmdGU9MSZ1c2VyX2lkPTM5MzhmMTdkODE4MmEyMmZkZTE0NjdmZjlkMGJiNWM1VwNueXRCCgBB3psJX2yRJaNSEGxpbWFAZ2VuZXNlby5lZHVYBAAAAAA~>
[image: Article Image]

Ashley Mendoza, Jacob Amaro, Jonathan Christie, Yeimy Gamez Castillo
<https://nl.nytimes.com/f/newsletter/sBLg7zLRz-oLx6j-6IJ1ow~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRg7CDeP0TnaHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubnl0aW1lcy5jb20vMjAyMC8wNy8wNi9zdHlsZS9wYW5kZW1pYy1kaWFyaWVzLWNvbGxlZ2Utc3R1ZGVudHMuaHRtbD9jYW1wYWlnbl9pZD0zNyZlbWM9ZWRpdF9ycl8yMDIwMDcxMSZpbnN0YW5jZV9pZD0yMDIzNCZubD1yYWNlJTJGcmVsYXRlZCZyZWdpX2lkPTQyNzQwODk3JnNlZ21lbnRfaWQ9MzMxNjYmdGU9MSZ1c2VyX2lkPTM5MzhmMTdkODE4MmEyMmZkZTE0NjdmZjlkMGJiNWM1VwNueXRCCgBB3psJX2yRJaNSEGxpbWFAZ2VuZXNlby5lZHVYBAAAAAA~>
  What We Learned in 100 Days of Life Interrupted

Four first-generation college students in Newark, N.J., tell the story of
the pandemic, their uprooted plans — and what they found out.

By Ashley Mendoza, Jacob Amaro, Yeimy Gamez Castillo and Johnathan Christie
<https://nl.nytimes.com/f/newsletter/sBLg7zLRz-oLx6j-6IJ1ow~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRg7CDeP0TnaHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubnl0aW1lcy5jb20vMjAyMC8wNy8wNi9zdHlsZS9wYW5kZW1pYy1kaWFyaWVzLWNvbGxlZ2Utc3R1ZGVudHMuaHRtbD9jYW1wYWlnbl9pZD0zNyZlbWM9ZWRpdF9ycl8yMDIwMDcxMSZpbnN0YW5jZV9pZD0yMDIzNCZubD1yYWNlJTJGcmVsYXRlZCZyZWdpX2lkPTQyNzQwODk3JnNlZ21lbnRfaWQ9MzMxNjYmdGU9MSZ1c2VyX2lkPTM5MzhmMTdkODE4MmEyMmZkZTE0NjdmZjlkMGJiNWM1VwNueXRCCgBB3psJX2yRJaNSEGxpbWFAZ2VuZXNlby5lZHVYBAAAAAA~>
[image: Article Image]

via Spinks family
<https://nl.nytimes.com/f/newsletter/xHRxuACoPuzqBmeRILtc3w~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRg7CDeP4QJAWh0dHBzOi8vd3d3Lm55dGltZXMuY29tLzIwMjAvMDcvMDkvb2JpdHVhcmllcy9vbGEtbWFlLXNwaW5rcy13aG8taGVscGVkLXByZXNlcnZlLWEtc2xhdmUtYXJjaGl2ZS1kaWVzLWF0LTEwNi5odG1sP2NhbXBhaWduX2lkPTM3JmVtYz1lZGl0X3JyXzIwMjAwNzExJmluc3RhbmNlX2lkPTIwMjM0Jm5sPXJhY2UlMkZyZWxhdGVkJnJlZ2lfaWQ9NDI3NDA4OTcmc2VnbWVudF9pZD0zMzE2NiZ0ZT0xJnVzZXJfaWQ9MzkzOGYxN2Q4MTgyYTIyZmRlMTQ2N2ZmOWQwYmI1YzVXA255dEIKAEHemwlfbJElo1IQbGltYUBnZW5lc2VvLmVkdVgEAAAAAA~~>
  Ola Mae Spinks, Who Helped Preserve a Slave Archive, Dies at 106

In 1972, she and another librarian went to the Library of Congress to bring
order to a sprawling collection of interviews with former slaves.

By Richard Sandomir
<https://nl.nytimes.com/f/newsletter/xHRxuACoPuzqBmeRILtc3w~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRg7CDeP4QJAWh0dHBzOi8vd3d3Lm55dGltZXMuY29tLzIwMjAvMDcvMDkvb2JpdHVhcmllcy9vbGEtbWFlLXNwaW5rcy13aG8taGVscGVkLXByZXNlcnZlLWEtc2xhdmUtYXJjaGl2ZS1kaWVzLWF0LTEwNi5odG1sP2NhbXBhaWduX2lkPTM3JmVtYz1lZGl0X3JyXzIwMjAwNzExJmluc3RhbmNlX2lkPTIwMjM0Jm5sPXJhY2UlMkZyZWxhdGVkJnJlZ2lfaWQ9NDI3NDA4OTcmc2VnbWVudF9pZD0zMzE2NiZ0ZT0xJnVzZXJfaWQ9MzkzOGYxN2Q4MTgyYTIyZmRlMTQ2N2ZmOWQwYmI1YzVXA255dEIKAEHemwlfbJElo1IQbGltYUBnZW5lc2VvLmVkdVgEAAAAAA~~>
[image: Article Image]

Anna Moneymaker for The New York Times
<https://nl.nytimes.com/f/newsletter/-b-mUCPe0hsmafg0kpZrXQ~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRg7CDeP0TtaHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubnl0aW1lcy5jb20vMjAyMC8wNy8wOS91cy9zdXByZW1lLWNvdXJ0LW9rbGFob21hLW1jZ2lydC1jcmVlay1uYXRpb24uaHRtbD9jYW1wYWlnbl9pZD0zNyZlbWM9ZWRpdF9ycl8yMDIwMDcxMSZpbnN0YW5jZV9pZD0yMDIzNCZubD1yYWNlJTJGcmVsYXRlZCZyZWdpX2lkPTQyNzQwODk3JnNlZ21lbnRfaWQ9MzMxNjYmdGU9MSZ1c2VyX2lkPTM5MzhmMTdkODE4MmEyMmZkZTE0NjdmZjlkMGJiNWM1VwNueXRCCgBB3psJX2yRJaNSEGxpbWFAZ2VuZXNlby5lZHVYBAAAAAA~>
  Landmark Supreme Court Ruling Affirms Native American Rights in Oklahoma

A 5-4 decision declaring that much of eastern Oklahoma is an Indian
reservation could reshape criminal justice in the area by preventing state
authorities from prosecuting Native Americans.

By Jack Healy and Adam Liptak
<https://nl.nytimes.com/f/newsletter/-b-mUCPe0hsmafg0kpZrXQ~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRg7CDeP0TtaHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubnl0aW1lcy5jb20vMjAyMC8wNy8wOS91cy9zdXByZW1lLWNvdXJ0LW9rbGFob21hLW1jZ2lydC1jcmVlay1uYXRpb24uaHRtbD9jYW1wYWlnbl9pZD0zNyZlbWM9ZWRpdF9ycl8yMDIwMDcxMSZpbnN0YW5jZV9pZD0yMDIzNCZubD1yYWNlJTJGcmVsYXRlZCZyZWdpX2lkPTQyNzQwODk3JnNlZ21lbnRfaWQ9MzMxNjYmdGU9MSZ1c2VyX2lkPTM5MzhmMTdkODE4MmEyMmZkZTE0NjdmZjlkMGJiNWM1VwNueXRCCgBB3psJX2yRJaNSEGxpbWFAZ2VuZXNlby5lZHVYBAAAAAA~>
[image: Article Image]

Disney+
<https://nl.nytimes.com/f/newsletter/HvY8kJJlr4QBi9WFF1n43g~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRg7CDeP0TqaHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubnl0aW1lcy5jb20vMjAyMC8wNy8xMC9tb3ZpZXMvaGFtaWx0b24tY3JpdGljcy1saW4tbWFudWVsLW1pcmFuZGEuaHRtbD9jYW1wYWlnbl9pZD0zNyZlbWM9ZWRpdF9ycl8yMDIwMDcxMSZpbnN0YW5jZV9pZD0yMDIzNCZubD1yYWNlJTJGcmVsYXRlZCZyZWdpX2lkPTQyNzQwODk3JnNlZ21lbnRfaWQ9MzMxNjYmdGU9MSZ1c2VyX2lkPTM5MzhmMTdkODE4MmEyMmZkZTE0NjdmZjlkMGJiNWM1VwNueXRCCgBB3psJX2yRJaNSEGxpbWFAZ2VuZXNlby5lZHVYBAAAAAA~>
  Debating ‘Hamilton’ as It Shifts From Stage to Screen

Five critics wade into the controversies (like its treatment of slavery)
and examine the performances (especially Lin-Manuel Miranda’s) five years
after the show debuted.

By Stephanie Goodman
<https://nl.nytimes.com/f/newsletter/HvY8kJJlr4QBi9WFF1n43g~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRg7CDeP0TqaHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubnl0aW1lcy5jb20vMjAyMC8wNy8xMC9tb3ZpZXMvaGFtaWx0b24tY3JpdGljcy1saW4tbWFudWVsLW1pcmFuZGEuaHRtbD9jYW1wYWlnbl9pZD0zNyZlbWM9ZWRpdF9ycl8yMDIwMDcxMSZpbnN0YW5jZV9pZD0yMDIzNCZubD1yYWNlJTJGcmVsYXRlZCZyZWdpX2lkPTQyNzQwODk3JnNlZ21lbnRfaWQ9MzMxNjYmdGU9MSZ1c2VyX2lkPTM5MzhmMTdkODE4MmEyMmZkZTE0NjdmZjlkMGJiNWM1VwNueXRCCgBB3psJX2yRJaNSEGxpbWFAZ2VuZXNlby5lZHVYBAAAAAA~>
[image: Article Image]

North Carolina Department of Natural and Cultural Resources
<https://nl.nytimes.com/f/newsletter/Y7iZxzPje35uYZmRXp78tQ~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRg7CDeP0TxaHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubnl0aW1lcy5jb20vMjAyMC8wNy8wOC91cy9jb25mZWRlcmF0ZS1tb251bWVudC1yb2JlcnQtbGVlLW5vcnRoLWNhcm9saW5hLmh0bWw_Y2FtcGFpZ25faWQ9MzcmZW1jPWVkaXRfcnJfMjAyMDA3MTEmaW5zdGFuY2VfaWQ9MjAyMzQmbmw9cmFjZSUyRnJlbGF0ZWQmcmVnaV9pZD00Mjc0MDg5NyZzZWdtZW50X2lkPTMzMTY2JnRlPTEmdXNlcl9pZD0zOTM4ZjE3ZDgxODJhMjJmZGUxNDY3ZmY5ZDBiYjVjNVcDbnl0QgoAQd6bCV9skSWjUhBsaW1hQGdlbmVzZW8uZWR1WAQAAAAA>
  What’s at the Bottom of a Confederate Monument? It Could Be a Time Capsule

Workers removing a monument in North Carolina found a deteriorated time
capsule from 1894. Inside were objects said to belong to Robert E. Lee,
though some historians doubt their legitimacy.

By Christina Morales
<https://nl.nytimes.com/f/newsletter/Y7iZxzPje35uYZmRXp78tQ~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRg7CDeP0TxaHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubnl0aW1lcy5jb20vMjAyMC8wNy8wOC91cy9jb25mZWRlcmF0ZS1tb251bWVudC1yb2JlcnQtbGVlLW5vcnRoLWNhcm9saW5hLmh0bWw_Y2FtcGFpZ25faWQ9MzcmZW1jPWVkaXRfcnJfMjAyMDA3MTEmaW5zdGFuY2VfaWQ9MjAyMzQmbmw9cmFjZSUyRnJlbGF0ZWQmcmVnaV9pZD00Mjc0MDg5NyZzZWdtZW50X2lkPTMzMTY2JnRlPTEmdXNlcl9pZD0zOTM4ZjE3ZDgxODJhMjJmZGUxNDY3ZmY5ZDBiYjVjNVcDbnl0QgoAQd6bCV9skSWjUhBsaW1hQGdlbmVzZW8uZWR1WAQAAAAA>
[image: Article Image]

Amrita Marino
<https://nl.nytimes.com/f/newsletter/x2A9DzXuHSxLVgsGFlcKvA~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRg7CDeP0TwaHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubnl0aW1lcy5jb20vMjAyMC8wNy8wNC91cy9qYW5lLWVsbGlvdHQtYW50aS1yYWNpc20tYmx1ZS1leWVzLWJyb3duLWV5ZXMuaHRtbD9jYW1wYWlnbl9pZD0zNyZlbWM9ZWRpdF9ycl8yMDIwMDcxMSZpbnN0YW5jZV9pZD0yMDIzNCZubD1yYWNlJTJGcmVsYXRlZCZyZWdpX2lkPTQyNzQwODk3JnNlZ21lbnRfaWQ9MzMxNjYmdGU9MSZ1c2VyX2lkPTM5MzhmMTdkODE4MmEyMmZkZTE0NjdmZjlkMGJiNWM1VwNueXRCCgBB3psJX2yRJaNSEGxpbWFAZ2VuZXNlby5lZHVYBAAAAAA~>
  In Her WordsA Teacher Held a Famous Racism Exercise in 1968. She’s Still
at It.

The day after Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was assassinated, Jane
Elliott carried out the “Blue Eyes, Brown Eyes” exercise in her classroom.
Now, people are returning to her work.

By Alisha Haridasani Gupta
<https://nl.nytimes.com/f/newsletter/x2A9DzXuHSxLVgsGFlcKvA~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRg7CDeP0TwaHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubnl0aW1lcy5jb20vMjAyMC8wNy8wNC91cy9qYW5lLWVsbGlvdHQtYW50aS1yYWNpc20tYmx1ZS1leWVzLWJyb3duLWV5ZXMuaHRtbD9jYW1wYWlnbl9pZD0zNyZlbWM9ZWRpdF9ycl8yMDIwMDcxMSZpbnN0YW5jZV9pZD0yMDIzNCZubD1yYWNlJTJGcmVsYXRlZCZyZWdpX2lkPTQyNzQwODk3JnNlZ21lbnRfaWQ9MzMxNjYmdGU9MSZ1c2VyX2lkPTM5MzhmMTdkODE4MmEyMmZkZTE0NjdmZjlkMGJiNWM1VwNueXRCCgBB3psJX2yRJaNSEGxpbWFAZ2VuZXNlby5lZHVYBAAAAAA~>
[image: Article Image]

Illustration by Mark Harris; Photographs by Benjamin F. Powelson, via The
New York Public Library, and duncan1890 and ZU_09, via Getty Images
<https://nl.nytimes.com/f/newsletter/gq37t-qb8dPgVuJSGDFxHg~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRg7CDeP0TqaHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubnl0aW1lcy5jb20vMjAyMC8wNy8wNi9vcGluaW9uL3Rob21hcy1qZWZmZXJzb24tbWVtb3JpYWwtdHJ1c2NvdHQuaHRtbD9jYW1wYWlnbl9pZD0zNyZlbWM9ZWRpdF9ycl8yMDIwMDcxMSZpbnN0YW5jZV9pZD0yMDIzNCZubD1yYWNlJTJGcmVsYXRlZCZyZWdpX2lkPTQyNzQwODk3JnNlZ21lbnRfaWQ9MzMxNjYmdGU9MSZ1c2VyX2lkPTM5MzhmMTdkODE4MmEyMmZkZTE0NjdmZjlkMGJiNWM1VwNueXRCCgBB3psJX2yRJaNSEGxpbWFAZ2VuZXNlby5lZHVYBAAAAAA~>
  I’m a Direct Descendant of Thomas Jefferson. Take Down His Memorial.

Monticello is shrine enough for a man who wrote that “all men are created
equal” and yet never did much to make those words come true.

By Lucian K. Truscott IV
<https://nl.nytimes.com/f/newsletter/gq37t-qb8dPgVuJSGDFxHg~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRg7CDeP0TqaHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubnl0aW1lcy5jb20vMjAyMC8wNy8wNi9vcGluaW9uL3Rob21hcy1qZWZmZXJzb24tbWVtb3JpYWwtdHJ1c2NvdHQuaHRtbD9jYW1wYWlnbl9pZD0zNyZlbWM9ZWRpdF9ycl8yMDIwMDcxMSZpbnN0YW5jZV9pZD0yMDIzNCZubD1yYWNlJTJGcmVsYXRlZCZyZWdpX2lkPTQyNzQwODk3JnNlZ21lbnRfaWQ9MzMxNjYmdGU9MSZ1c2VyX2lkPTM5MzhmMTdkODE4MmEyMmZkZTE0NjdmZjlkMGJiNWM1VwNueXRCCgBB3psJX2yRJaNSEGxpbWFAZ2VuZXNlby5lZHVYBAAAAAA~>
Invite your friends.

Invite someone to subscribe to the Race/Related
<https://nl.nytimes.com/f/a/y4-ZNtsvoHj7eP1csgJCPA~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRg7CDeP0TyaHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubnl0aW1lcy5jb20vbmV3c2xldHRlcnMvcmFjZS1yZWxhdGVkP2NhbXBhaWduX2lkPTM3JmVtYz1lZGl0X3JyXzIwMTkwNjI4JmVtYz1lZGl0X3JyXzIwMjAwNzExJmluc3RhbmNlX2lkPTIwMjM0Jm5sPXJhY2UtcmVsYXRlZCZubD1yYWNlJTJGcmVsYXRlZCZyZWdpX2lkPTQyNzQwODk3JnNlZ21lbnRfaWQ9MzMxNjYmdGU9MSZ0ZT0xJnVzZXJfaWQ9MzkzOGYxN2Q4MTgyYTIyZmRlMTQ2N2ZmOWQwYmI1YzVXA255dEIKAEHemwlfbJElo1IQbGltYUBnZW5lc2VvLmVkdVgEAAAAAA~~>
newsletter. Or email your thoughts and suggestions to
racerelated at nytimes.com.
Want more Race/Related?

Follow us on Instagram
<https://nl.nytimes.com/f/a/Emli6DxaqY44Rif181oo1g~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRg7CDeP0S7aHR0cDovL2luc3RhZ3JhbS5jb20vcmFjZXJlbGF0ZWRueXQ_Y2FtcGFpZ25faWQ9MzcmZW1jPWVkaXRfcnJfMjAyMDA3MTEmaW5zdGFuY2VfaWQ9MjAyMzQmbmw9cmFjZSUyRnJlbGF0ZWQmcmVnaV9pZD00Mjc0MDg5NyZzZWdtZW50X2lkPTMzMTY2JnRlPTEmdXNlcl9pZD0zOTM4ZjE3ZDgxODJhMjJmZGUxNDY3ZmY5ZDBiYjVjNVcDbnl0QgoAQd6bCV9skSWjUhBsaW1hQGdlbmVzZW8uZWR1WAQAAAAA>,
where we continue the conversation about race through visuals.
Continue reading the main story <#m_1598696992576953542_a11y-skip-3>

Need help? Review our newsletter help page
<https://nl.nytimes.com/f/a/Gryltd8XSopZz3YYbnokGQ~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRg7CDeP0TbaHR0cHM6Ly9oZWxwLm55dGltZXMuY29tL2hjL2VuLXVzL2FydGljbGVzLzM2MDAwMTQ4ODI2Ni1OZXdzbGV0dGVycz9jYW1wYWlnbl9pZD0zNyZlbWM9ZWRpdF9ycl8yMDIwMDcxMSZpbnN0YW5jZV9pZD0yMDIzNCZubD1yYWNlJTJGcmVsYXRlZCZyZWdpX2lkPTQyNzQwODk3JnNlZ21lbnRfaWQ9MzMxNjYmdGU9MSZ1c2VyX2lkPTM5MzhmMTdkODE4MmEyMmZkZTE0NjdmZjlkMGJiNWM1VwNueXRCCgBB3psJX2yRJaNSEGxpbWFAZ2VuZXNlby5lZHVYBAAAAAA~>
or contact us
<https://nl.nytimes.com/f/a/y-t-Itb0LIGv2IbU1xPh2w~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRg7CDeP0TaaHR0cHM6Ly9oZWxwLm55dGltZXMuY29tL2hjL2VuLXVzL2FydGljbGVzLzExNTAxNTM4NTg4Ny1Db250YWN0LXVzP2NhbXBhaWduX2lkPTM3JmVtYz1lZGl0X3JyXzIwMjAwNzExJmluc3RhbmNlX2lkPTIwMjM0Jm5sPXJhY2UlMkZyZWxhdGVkJnJlZ2lfaWQ9NDI3NDA4OTcmc2VnbWVudF9pZD0zMzE2NiZ0ZT0xJnVzZXJfaWQ9MzkzOGYxN2Q4MTgyYTIyZmRlMTQ2N2ZmOWQwYmI1YzVXA255dEIKAEHemwlfbJElo1IQbGltYUBnZW5lc2VvLmVkdVgEAAAAAA~~>
for assistance.

You received this email because you signed up for Race/Related from The New
York Times.

To stop receiving these emails, unsubscribe
<https://nl.nytimes.com/f/a/xJnPerKyrOiSb4RCcCYenQ~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRg7CDeP0TLaHR0cHM6Ly9teWFjY291bnQubnl0aW1lcy5jb20vc2VnL3Vuc3Vic2NyaWJlL1JSL2UwODg3ZjM2NjkyNWFmZjUwZjc4MjI4NjhlNDc3YWY2ZDcxYTAxMzc5NDQwMmFmOGE0OWU5NjgxNTU5NTcxMzQ5OTlhOGExNzk4MjVlNzc1ZDcwNTllNmViMjFhYjRkYz9lbWM9ZWRpdF9ycl8yMDIwMDcxMSZubD1yYWNlJTJGcmVsYXRlZCZzZW5kX2lkPTMzMTY2JnRlPTFXA255dEIKAEHemwlfbJElo1IQbGltYUBnZW5lc2VvLmVkdVgEAAAAAA~~>
or manage your email preferences
<https://nl.nytimes.com/f/a/6Lce2gdCPQ5dpDMeHFsPKg~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRg7CDeP0S1aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubnl0aW1lcy5jb20vZW1haWw_Y2FtcGFpZ25faWQ9MzcmZW1jPWVkaXRfcnJfMjAyMDA3MTEmaW5zdGFuY2VfaWQ9MjAyMzQmbmw9cmFjZSUyRnJlbGF0ZWQmcmVnaV9pZD00Mjc0MDg5NyZzZWdtZW50X2lkPTMzMTY2JnRlPTEmdXNlcl9pZD0zOTM4ZjE3ZDgxODJhMjJmZGUxNDY3ZmY5ZDBiYjVjNVcDbnl0QgoAQd6bCV9skSWjUhBsaW1hQGdlbmVzZW8uZWR1WAQAAAAA>
.

Subscribe to The Times
<https://nl.nytimes.com/f/a/TGFS_gRgSj15Y4EkkaHVMQ~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRg7CDeP0TNaHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubnl0aW1lcy5jb20vc3Vic2NyaXB0aW9uP2NhbXBhaWduSWQ9N0Y5ODkmY2FtcGFpZ25faWQ9MzcmZW1jPWVkaXRfcnJfMjAyMDA3MTEmaW5zdGFuY2VfaWQ9MjAyMzQmbmw9cmFjZSUyRnJlbGF0ZWQmcmVnaV9pZD00Mjc0MDg5NyZzZWdtZW50X2lkPTMzMTY2JnRlPTEmdXNlcl9pZD0zOTM4ZjE3ZDgxODJhMjJmZGUxNDY3ZmY5ZDBiYjVjNVcDbnl0QgoAQd6bCV9skSWjUhBsaW1hQGdlbmVzZW8uZWR1WAQAAAAA>Get
The New York Times app
<https://nl.nytimes.com/f/a/2TymZQQjehFlVYuMVBTSCg~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRg7CDeP0TKaHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubnl0aW1lcy5jb20vc2VydmljZXMvbW9iaWxlL2luZGV4Lmh0bWw_Y2FtcGFpZ25faWQ9MzcmZW1jPWVkaXRfcnJfMjAyMDA3MTEmaW5zdGFuY2VfaWQ9MjAyMzQmbmw9cmFjZSUyRnJlbGF0ZWQmcmVnaV9pZD00Mjc0MDg5NyZzZWdtZW50X2lkPTMzMTY2JnRlPTEmdXNlcl9pZD0zOTM4ZjE3ZDgxODJhMjJmZGUxNDY3ZmY5ZDBiYjVjNVcDbnl0QgoAQd6bCV9skSWjUhBsaW1hQGdlbmVzZW8uZWR1WAQAAAAA>

Connect with us on:
[image: instagram]
<https://nl.nytimes.com/f/a/Jxgz57flc1AoaPPf2BXXEQ~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRg7CDeP0S9aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuaW5zdGFncmFtLmNvbS9yYWNlcmVsYXRlZD9jYW1wYWlnbl9pZD0zNyZlbWM9ZWRpdF9ycl8yMDIwMDcxMSZpbnN0YW5jZV9pZD0yMDIzNCZubD1yYWNlJTJGcmVsYXRlZCZyZWdpX2lkPTQyNzQwODk3JnNlZ21lbnRfaWQ9MzMxNjYmdGU9MSZ1c2VyX2lkPTM5MzhmMTdkODE4MmEyMmZkZTE0NjdmZjlkMGJiNWM1VwNueXRCCgBB3psJX2yRJaNSEGxpbWFAZ2VuZXNlby5lZHVYBAAAAAA~>

Change Your Email
<https://nl.nytimes.com/f/a/T-M1_oyxigw2dPnE5HQaWg~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRg7CDeP0TEaHR0cHM6Ly9teWFjY291bnQubnl0aW1lcy5jb20vbWVtL2VtYWlsLmh0bWw_Y2FtcGFpZ25faWQ9MzcmZW1jPWVkaXRfcnJfMjAyMDA3MTEmaW5zdGFuY2VfaWQ9MjAyMzQmbmw9cmFjZSUyRnJlbGF0ZWQmcmVnaV9pZD00Mjc0MDg5NyZzZWdtZW50X2lkPTMzMTY2JnRlPTEmdXNlcl9pZD0zOTM4ZjE3ZDgxODJhMjJmZGUxNDY3ZmY5ZDBiYjVjNVcDbnl0QgoAQd6bCV9skSWjUhBsaW1hQGdlbmVzZW8uZWR1WAQAAAAA>Privacy
Policy
<https://nl.nytimes.com/f/a/452_PkmK6fprobFyt3Ea1g~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRg7CDeP0TlaHR0cDovL3d3dy5ueXRpbWVzLmNvbS9jb250ZW50L2hlbHAvcmlnaHRzL3ByaXZhY3kvcG9saWN5L3ByaXZhY3ktcG9saWN5Lmh0bWw_Y2FtcGFpZ25faWQ9MzcmZW1jPWVkaXRfcnJfMjAyMDA3MTEmaW5zdGFuY2VfaWQ9MjAyMzQmbmw9cmFjZSUyRnJlbGF0ZWQmcmVnaV9pZD00Mjc0MDg5NyZzZWdtZW50X2lkPTMzMTY2JnRlPTEmdXNlcl9pZD0zOTM4ZjE3ZDgxODJhMjJmZGUxNDY3ZmY5ZDBiYjVjNVcDbnl0QgoAQd6bCV9skSWjUhBsaW1hQGdlbmVzZW8uZWR1WAQAAAAA>Contact
Us
<https://nl.nytimes.com/f/a/DMWMb29GxFtwd7PMzSMXsg~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRg7CDeP0TMaHR0cHM6Ly9teWFjY291bnQubnl0aW1lcy5jb20vbWVtYmVyY2VudGVyL2hlbHAuaHRtbD9jYW1wYWlnbl9pZD0zNyZlbWM9ZWRpdF9ycl8yMDIwMDcxMSZpbnN0YW5jZV9pZD0yMDIzNCZubD1yYWNlJTJGcmVsYXRlZCZyZWdpX2lkPTQyNzQwODk3JnNlZ21lbnRfaWQ9MzMxNjYmdGU9MSZ1c2VyX2lkPTM5MzhmMTdkODE4MmEyMmZkZTE0NjdmZjlkMGJiNWM1VwNueXRCCgBB3psJX2yRJaNSEGxpbWFAZ2VuZXNlby5lZHVYBAAAAAA~>California
Notices
<https://nl.nytimes.com/f/a/kGqB22TXx39WI02az98Oow~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRg7CDeP0TJaHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubnl0aW1lcy5jb20vcHJpdmFjeS9jYWxpZm9ybmlhLW5vdGljZT9jYW1wYWlnbl9pZD0zNyZlbWM9ZWRpdF9ycl8yMDIwMDcxMSZpbnN0YW5jZV9pZD0yMDIzNCZubD1yYWNlJTJGcmVsYXRlZCZyZWdpX2lkPTQyNzQwODk3JnNlZ21lbnRfaWQ9MzMxNjYmdGU9MSZ1c2VyX2lkPTM5MzhmMTdkODE4MmEyMmZkZTE0NjdmZjlkMGJiNWM1VwNueXRCCgBB3psJX2yRJaNSEGxpbWFAZ2VuZXNlby5lZHVYBAAAAAA~>

The New York Times Company. 620 Eighth Avenue New York, NY 10018