[Blackstudies-l] NYT Race/Related: Racism as a Public Health Crisis

Maria Lima lima at geneseo.edu
Sat Jul 18 08:42:23 EDT 2020

>From cradle to grave, Black Milwaukeeans were suffering. Life in between
offered its own hardships.
View in browser
<https://nl.nytimes.com/f/a/vzrQgpCXZaiJkrCKQbg-sw~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRg9VuFP4QoAWh0dHBzOi8vbWVzc2FnaW5nLWN1c3RvbS1uZXdzbGV0dGVycy5ueXRpbWVzLmNvbS90ZW1wbGF0ZS9vYWt2Mj9jYW1wYWlnbl9pZD0zNyZlbWM9ZWRpdF9ycl8yMDIwMDcxOCZpbnN0YW5jZV9pZD0yMDQzMSZubD1yYWNlJTJGcmVsYXRlZCZwcm9kdWN0Q29kZT1SUiZyZWdpX2lkPTQyNzQwODk3JnNlZ21lbnRfaWQ9MzM3NDAmdGU9MSZ1cmk9bnl0JTNBJTJGJTJGbmV3c2xldHRlciUyRjVlNmU5YmVhLTFkMjEtNWEzYi1iNThjLTUyYjI3M2U2NmNiMSZ1c2VyX2lkPTM5MzhmMTdkODE4MmEyMmZkZTE0NjdmZjlkMGJiNWM1VwNueXRCCgAdhdYSX8UC2IRSEGxpbWFAZ2VuZXNlby5lZHVYBAAAAAA~>
|nytimes.com
<https://nl.nytimes.com/f/a/nEKm0bxswn1l0kcHLqaTVA~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRg9VuFP0SwaHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubnl0aW1lcy5jb20vP2NhbXBhaWduX2lkPTM3JmVtYz1lZGl0X3JyXzIwMjAwNzE4Jmluc3RhbmNlX2lkPTIwNDMxJm5sPXJhY2UlMkZyZWxhdGVkJnJlZ2lfaWQ9NDI3NDA4OTcmc2VnbWVudF9pZD0zMzc0MCZ0ZT0xJnVzZXJfaWQ9MzkzOGYxN2Q4MTgyYTIyZmRlMTQ2N2ZmOWQwYmI1YzVXA255dEIKAB2F1hJfxQLYhFIQbGltYUBnZW5lc2VvLmVkdVgEAAAAAA~~>
Continue reading the main story
<#m_2681517107174727244_m_8041709151708474383_a11y-skip-ad-marquee>

[image: More Race/Related]
<https://nl.nytimes.com/f/a/KXX1Zm9rbKAqCVVHAGeD-g~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRg9VuFP0S-aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubnl0aW1lcy5jb20vc3BvdGxpZ2h0L3JhY2U_Y2FtcGFpZ25faWQ9MzcmZW1jPWVkaXRfcnJfMjAyMDA3MTgmaW5zdGFuY2VfaWQ9MjA0MzEmbmw9cmFjZSUyRnJlbGF0ZWQmcmVnaV9pZD00Mjc0MDg5NyZzZWdtZW50X2lkPTMzNzQwJnRlPTEmdXNlcl9pZD0zOTM4ZjE3ZDgxODJhMjJmZGUxNDY3ZmY5ZDBiYjVjNVcDbnl0QgoAHYXWEl_FAtiEUhBsaW1hQGdlbmVzZW8uZWR1WAQAAAAA>

July 18, 2020
Members of the Wisconsin National Guard in the parking lot of United
Migrant Opportunity Services in Milwaukee, where tests for the coronavirus
were offered Friday.Joshua Lott for The New York Times

By Audra D. S. Burch
Milwaukee Said It First: Racism is a Public Health Crisis

>From cradle to grave, Black Milwaukeeans were suffering. The infant
mortality rate was nearly three times that of white people. The life
expectancy was about 14 years shorter, on average. Life in between offered
its own hardships — from gaping disparities in education to income —
officials realized years ago, in what was among the most racially
segregated and inequitable cities in America.

The county executive at the time, Chris Abele, knew there was something
insidious at work, something hard to tame or fix. He placed blame on
centuries of deeply-rooted anti-Black racism — and the crushing chronic
stress it caused. The result was remarkably different life experiences and
health consequences for Black and white residents.

So Milwaukee tried something bold to fight the statistics. They declared
racism a public
<https://nl.nytimes.com/f/a/PAKevAAFBWzQok46ckViWA~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRg9VuFP4QfAWh0dHBzOi8vd3d3Lmpzb25saW5lLmNvbS9zdG9yeS9uZXdzL2xvY2FsL21pbHdhdWtlZS8yMDE5LzA1LzIwL2FiZWxlLXNpZ25zLXJlc29sdXRpb24tZGVjbGFyaW5nLXJhY2lzbS1wdWJsaWMtaGVhbHRoLWNyaXNpcy8zNzQxODA5MDAyLz9jYW1wYWlnbl9pZD0zNyZlbWM9ZWRpdF9ycl8yMDIwMDcxOCZpbnN0YW5jZV9pZD0yMDQzMSZubD1yYWNlJTJGcmVsYXRlZCZyZWdpX2lkPTQyNzQwODk3JnNlZ21lbnRfaWQ9MzM3NDAmdGU9MSZ1c2VyX2lkPTM5MzhmMTdkODE4MmEyMmZkZTE0NjdmZjlkMGJiNWM1VwNueXRCCgAdhdYSX8UC2IRSEGxpbWFAZ2VuZXNlby5lZHVYBAAAAAA~>
health crisis, and vowed to combat it with the same vigor they would a
disease outbreak.

The declaration stitched together what might have seemed unconnected and
publicly committed the city to a wide-ranging agenda aimed at addressing
Milwaukee’s generational inequities.

It would not be easy or fast. Making the link between racism and health
took some convincing, those involved in the designation said, as did
persuading residents that racism extended well beyond name-calling and
other overtly bigoted acts.
Continue reading the main story
<#m_2681517107174727244_m_8041709151708474383_a11y-skip-0>
<https://nl.nytimes.com/f/a/7RJmOpKROLyxG9eDNGWseA~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRg9VuFP0RtaHR0cHM6Ly9saXZlaW50ZW50Lm5ld3lvcmt0aW1lc2luZm8uY29tL2NsaWNrP3M9MTc0MTUxJmxpPVJSJm09MzkzOGYxN2Q4MTgyYTIyZmRlMTQ2N2ZmOWQwYmI1YzUmcD1SUl8yMDIwMDcxOFcDbnl0QgoAHYXWEl_FAtiEUhBsaW1hQGdlbmVzZW8uZWR1WAQAAAAA>
<https://nl.nytimes.com/f/a/syLU67YB8YHnelAEp5MlJQ~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRg9VuFP0RtaHR0cHM6Ly9saXZlaW50ZW50Lm5ld3lvcmt0aW1lc2luZm8uY29tL2NsaWNrP3M9MTc0MTUwJmxpPVJSJm09MzkzOGYxN2Q4MTgyYTIyZmRlMTQ2N2ZmOWQwYmI1YzUmcD1SUl8yMDIwMDcxOFcDbnl0QgoAHYXWEl_FAtiEUhBsaW1hQGdlbmVzZW8uZWR1WAQAAAAA>

“When you use the R-word, people run,” said Dr. Georges Benjamin, a
physician who is executive director of the American Public Health
Association. “They think, ‘No, I am not a racist,’ and that’s because they
only understand it in the personalized racism bucket; they don’t understand
structural racism.”

To chip away at Milwaukee’s staggering race-based health gaps, leaders
sought to reframe the conversation. They consciously considered race equity
when they drafted policies, made staff hires or invested in communities.

That was more than a year ago, before Covid-19 tore through Black
communities like Milwaukee and before George Floyd’s death
<https://nl.nytimes.com/f/newsletter/qQYw5U8Gk3U9sSQ_mGTf9A~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRg9VuFP0TtaHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubnl0aW1lcy5jb20vMjAyMC8wNS8yOS91cy9kZXJlay1jaGF1dmluLWdlb3JnZS1mbG95ZC13b3JrZWQtdG9nZXRoZXIuaHRtbD9jYW1wYWlnbl9pZD0zNyZlbWM9ZWRpdF9ycl8yMDIwMDcxOCZpbnN0YW5jZV9pZD0yMDQzMSZubD1yYWNlJTJGcmVsYXRlZCZyZWdpX2lkPTQyNzQwODk3JnNlZ21lbnRfaWQ9MzM3NDAmdGU9MSZ1c2VyX2lkPTM5MzhmMTdkODE4MmEyMmZkZTE0NjdmZjlkMGJiNWM1VwNueXRCCgAdhdYSX8UC2IRSEGxpbWFAZ2VuZXNlby5lZHVYBAAAAAA~>
under a white police officer’s knee. It was before shellshocked Americans
emerged from quarantine to protest injustice and police brutality. In
recent weeks, dozens of cities and towns across the country have followed
Milwaukee, acknowledging the health consequences of racism.

A few clues as to the efficacy of such declarations can be found in
Milwaukee.

The county became the first jurisdiction in May 2019 to declare racism a
public health crisis. The City of Milwaukee then followed. The seeds were
planted, in part, by Dr. Camara Jones, a family physician and
epidemiologist, who has spent more than two decades talking about the
impact of racism on personal health.
Continue reading the main story
<#m_2681517107174727244_m_8041709151708474383_a11y-skip-1>
<https://nl.nytimes.com/f/a/1DnAkdO3-cjEnTLXEv04Lw~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRg9VuFP0RtaHR0cHM6Ly9saXZlaW50ZW50Lm5ld3lvcmt0aW1lc2luZm8uY29tL2NsaWNrP3M9MjA3NTc5JmxpPVJSJm09MzkzOGYxN2Q4MTgyYTIyZmRlMTQ2N2ZmOWQwYmI1YzUmcD1SUl8yMDIwMDcxOFcDbnl0QgoAHYXWEl_FAtiEUhBsaW1hQGdlbmVzZW8uZWR1WAQAAAAA>
<https://nl.nytimes.com/f/a/ZODrhoUSQnWIdP0CdMVuyw~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRg9VuFP0RtaHR0cHM6Ly9saXZlaW50ZW50Lm5ld3lvcmt0aW1lc2luZm8uY29tL2NsaWNrP3M9MjA3NTc4JmxpPVJSJm09MzkzOGYxN2Q4MTgyYTIyZmRlMTQ2N2ZmOWQwYmI1YzUmcD1SUl8yMDIwMDcxOFcDbnl0QgoAHYXWEl_FAtiEUhBsaW1hQGdlbmVzZW8uZWR1WAQAAAAA>

Over the first year after the declaration, 2,000 employees in Milwaukee
received racial bias training and the county created a new budgeting tool
to help make decisions that factor in racial equity.

But the pandemic was the first big test of how the declaration would work
in a crisis. Because of the mandate, health officials viewed Covid-19
through the lens of race from the start and became one of the first
municipalities in the nation to stratify infection and death data by race.
The numbers offered an early hint at the disease’s disproportionate impact
on Black communities.
<https://nl.nytimes.com/f/newsletter/Wba7J72a9C1CZkpTwORK8w~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRg9VuFP0TTaHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubnl0aW1lcy5jb20vMjAyMC8wNC8wNy91cy9jb3JvbmF2aXJ1cy1yYWNlLmh0bWw_Y2FtcGFpZ25faWQ9MzcmZW1jPWVkaXRfcnJfMjAyMDA3MTgmaW5zdGFuY2VfaWQ9MjA0MzEmbmw9cmFjZSUyRnJlbGF0ZWQmcmVnaV9pZD00Mjc0MDg5NyZzZWdtZW50X2lkPTMzNzQwJnRlPTEmdXNlcl9pZD0zOTM4ZjE3ZDgxODJhMjJmZGUxNDY3ZmY5ZDBiYjVjNVcDbnl0QgoAHYXWEl_FAtiEUhBsaW1hQGdlbmVzZW8uZWR1WAQAAAAA>

Jeanette Kowalik, Milwaukee’s health commissioner, said the early
realization of how the virus was affecting African-Americans led to more
testing sites in neighborhoods with predominantly Black residents. “It
quickly made us think about how this would spread and who was likely to be
hurt,” she said. “The weekly testing confirmed our worst fears.”

On the county level, Milwaukee spent at least $10 million of $77 million in
federal and state Covid-19 relief funds on housing assistance — an area
that most impacts women of color. That fact may not have been as obvious
without the new framing, said David Crowley, the county’s first Black
county executive.
Continue reading the main story
<#m_2681517107174727244_m_8041709151708474383_a11y-skip-2>
<https://nl.nytimes.com/f/a/R1_M_PZDhh-U6lCtfyhhEw~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRg9VuFP0RtaHR0cHM6Ly9saXZlaW50ZW50Lm5ld3lvcmt0aW1lc2luZm8uY29tL2NsaWNrP3M9NzI4NzAwJmxpPVJSJm09MzkzOGYxN2Q4MTgyYTIyZmRlMTQ2N2ZmOWQwYmI1YzUmcD1SUl8yMDIwMDcxOFcDbnl0QgoAHYXWEl_FAtiEUhBsaW1hQGdlbmVzZW8uZWR1WAQAAAAA>
<https://nl.nytimes.com/f/a/hdeamyA_ApScGxQFhrQkyg~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRg9VuFP0RtaHR0cHM6Ly9saXZlaW50ZW50Lm5ld3lvcmt0aW1lc2luZm8uY29tL2NsaWNrP3M9NzI4NzAyJmxpPVJSJm09MzkzOGYxN2Q4MTgyYTIyZmRlMTQ2N2ZmOWQwYmI1YzUmcD1SUl8yMDIwMDcxOFcDbnl0QgoAHYXWEl_FAtiEUhBsaW1hQGdlbmVzZW8uZWR1WAQAAAAA>

Declaring racism a public health problem alone does little. But the
discussion surrounding the measures that have been approved by more than 60
state and local governments since June have prompted the beginning of
important and concrete steps.
A Wisconsin National Guard member administers a Covid-19 test to Michael
Johnson in the parking lot of Custer Stadium in Milwaukee on Friday.Joshua
Lott for The New York Times

Those sponsoring the measures in recent weeks often found themselves “doing
a lot of connecting the dots to help colleagues get from the concept of
racism to stress and poor health,” said Nuchette Black-Burke, a member of
the Windsor, Conn., town council
<https://nl.nytimes.com/f/a/C1KRri1IXuTEK-5oSBMpAw~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRg9VuFP4QbAWh0dHBzOi8vd3d3LmNvdXJhbnQuY29tL25ld3MvY29ubmVjdGljdXQvaGMtbmV3cy1jb25uZWN0aWN1dC1wdWJsaWMtaGVhbHRoLWVtZXJnZW5jeS0yMDIwMDYxNi15c2xuNHJiazRqZnBmaWk1ZTZoeWhvbnB1dS1zdG9yeS5odG1sP2NhbXBhaWduX2lkPTM3JmVtYz1lZGl0X3JyXzIwMjAwNzE4Jmluc3RhbmNlX2lkPTIwNDMxJm5sPXJhY2UlMkZyZWxhdGVkJnJlZ2lfaWQ9NDI3NDA4OTcmc2VnbWVudF9pZD0zMzc0MCZ0ZT0xJnVzZXJfaWQ9MzkzOGYxN2Q4MTgyYTIyZmRlMTQ2N2ZmOWQwYmI1YzVXA255dEIKAB2F1hJfxQLYhFIQbGltYUBnZW5lc2VvLmVkdVgEAAAAAA~~>
who sponsored the resolution.

Some of the resolutions have been accompanied by other measures, such as
the creation of equity task forces to investigate discriminatory policies
and by the introduction of revamped hiring practices and anti-bias training
sessions.

In Boston, Mayor Marty Walsh declared racism a public health crisis and
shifted $3 million from the police overtime budget to social services.
Somerville, Mass., declared racism a “public safety and health emergency,”
and unveiled an ambitious police reform plan. The plan includes
establishing civilian oversight; changing how misconduct cases are handled;
pushing for body-worn cameras and adding implicit bias and de-escalation
training.

But the declarations — incorporating terms ranging from “discrimination” to
“white supremacy” — also offer a peek at the cultural fault lines of
America’s current race introspection.

In Jackson County, Mich., where about one-third of African-Americans live
below the poverty level, Daniel Mahoney, a three-term commissioner,
proposed an anti-racism resolution. What passed instead was a resolution
that called “discrimination” unacceptable
<https://nl.nytimes.com/f/a/CzFjZWWI28Hz7ZhW1nGDNA~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRg9VuFP4Q1AWh0dHBzOi8vd3d3Lm1saXZlLmNvbS9uZXdzL2thbGFtYXpvby8yMDIwLzA2L2FmdGVyLWRlY2xpbmluZy10by1jYWxsLXJhY2lzbS1hLXB1YmxpYy1oZWFsdGgtY3Jpc2lzLWphY2tzb24tY291bnR5LWNvbW1pc3Npb25lcnMtdm90ZS10by1ub3QtZGlzY3JpbWluYXRlLmh0bWw_Y2FtcGFpZ25faWQ9MzcmZW1jPWVkaXRfcnJfMjAyMDA3MTgmaW5zdGFuY2VfaWQ9MjA0MzEmbmw9cmFjZSUyRnJlbGF0ZWQmcmVnaV9pZD00Mjc0MDg5NyZzZWdtZW50X2lkPTMzNzQwJnRlPTEmdXNlcl9pZD0zOTM4ZjE3ZDgxODJhMjJmZGUxNDY3ZmY5ZDBiYjVjNVcDbnl0QgoAHYXWEl_FAtiEUhBsaW1hQGdlbmVzZW8uZWR1WAQAAAAA>
.

Mr. Mahoney’s fellow commissioners were neither swayed by his impassioned
speech on the effects of racism on health nor the public support from many
Jackson residents. Some commissioners were convinced the declaration would
lead to defunding the police and anti-white scapegoating. “I do not like
the feeling that I get from this, that all white people are bad,” said
Commissioner Tony Bair before voting against the resolution.
Join The New York Times in a conversation about women’s suffrage
Congresswoman Jenniffer González-Colón of Puerto Rico in San Juan last
year.Erika
P. Rodriguez for The New York Times

Reflecting on 100 years since women’s suffrage
<https://nl.nytimes.com/f/a/JfOtQdKP_wIHjpZtICoz5A~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRg9VuFP0TNaHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubnl0aW1lcy5jb20vdG9waWMvc3ViamVjdC93b21lbnMtc3VmZnJhZ2U_Y2FtcGFpZ25faWQ9MzcmZW1jPWVkaXRfcnJfMjAyMDA3MTgmaW5zdGFuY2VfaWQ9MjA0MzEmbmw9cmFjZSUyRnJlbGF0ZWQmcmVnaV9pZD00Mjc0MDg5NyZzZWdtZW50X2lkPTMzNzQwJnRlPTEmdXNlcl9pZD0zOTM4ZjE3ZDgxODJhMjJmZGUxNDY3ZmY5ZDBiYjVjNVcDbnl0QgoAHYXWEl_FAtiEUhBsaW1hQGdlbmVzZW8uZWR1WAQAAAAA>,
in a presidential election year, many groups are still fighting for
unimpeded access to the vote. Who still faces obstacles to voting? What can
be done to change it?

Join Rachel Dry, Deputy Politics Editor, in conversation with political
experts and leaders, including Congresswoman Jenniffer González-Colón of
Puerto Rico, discussing her advocacy for the island to have full voting
rights and political representation. This Tuesday, July 21 at 4 p.m.
[R.S.V.P. here
<https://nl.nytimes.com/f/a/FnEbYncAHIvCE1fX2H0Htw~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRg9VuFP0TbaHR0cHM6Ly90aW1lc2V2ZW50cy5ueXRpbWVzLmNvbS93b21lbi1kZW1vY3JhY3ktc3VmZnJhZ2UvbmV3c2xldHRlcj9jYW1wYWlnbl9pZD0zNyZlbWM9ZWRpdF9ycl8yMDIwMDcxOCZpbnN0YW5jZV9pZD0yMDQzMSZubD1yYWNlJTJGcmVsYXRlZCZyZWdpX2lkPTQyNzQwODk3JnNlZ21lbnRfaWQ9MzM3NDAmdGU9MSZ1c2VyX2lkPTM5MzhmMTdkODE4MmEyMmZkZTE0NjdmZjlkMGJiNWM1VwNueXRCCgAdhdYSX8UC2IRSEGxpbWFAZ2VuZXNlby5lZHVYBAAAAAA~>
.
<https://nl.nytimes.com/f/a/FnEbYncAHIvCE1fX2H0Htw~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRg9VuFP0TbaHR0cHM6Ly90aW1lc2V2ZW50cy5ueXRpbWVzLmNvbS93b21lbi1kZW1vY3JhY3ktc3VmZnJhZ2UvbmV3c2xldHRlcj9jYW1wYWlnbl9pZD0zNyZlbWM9ZWRpdF9ycl8yMDIwMDcxOCZpbnN0YW5jZV9pZD0yMDQzMSZubD1yYWNlJTJGcmVsYXRlZCZyZWdpX2lkPTQyNzQwODk3JnNlZ21lbnRfaWQ9MzM3NDAmdGU9MSZ1c2VyX2lkPTM5MzhmMTdkODE4MmEyMmZkZTE0NjdmZjlkMGJiNWM1VwNueXRCCgAdhdYSX8UC2IRSEGxpbWFAZ2VuZXNlby5lZHVYBAAAAAA~>
]

EDITOR’S PICKS

We publish many articles that touch on race. Here are a few you shouldn’t
miss.
[image: Article Image]

Ilana Panich-Linsman for The New York Times
<https://nl.nytimes.com/f/newsletter/4-iMKqjZP2d_IrTi7y4Wng~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRg9VuFP0TtaHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubnl0aW1lcy5jb20vMjAyMC8wNy8xNC91cy9jb3JvbmF2aXJ1cy10ZXhhcy1yaW8tZ3JhbmRlLXZhbGxleS1ib3JkZXIuaHRtbD9jYW1wYWlnbl9pZD0zNyZlbWM9ZWRpdF9ycl8yMDIwMDcxOCZpbnN0YW5jZV9pZD0yMDQzMSZubD1yYWNlJTJGcmVsYXRlZCZyZWdpX2lkPTQyNzQwODk3JnNlZ21lbnRfaWQ9MzM3NDAmdGU9MSZ1c2VyX2lkPTM5MzhmMTdkODE4MmEyMmZkZTE0NjdmZjlkMGJiNWM1VwNueXRCCgAdhdYSX8UC2IRSEGxpbWFAZ2VuZXNlby5lZHVYBAAAAAA~>
  I Went Home to Texas to Cover the Virus. Then My Family Got It.

Edgar Sandoval knew he was well prepared to report on the spread of the
coronavirus on the Texas-Mexico border. He was going home. Little did he
know exactly what he would find.

By Edgar Sandoval
<https://nl.nytimes.com/f/newsletter/4-iMKqjZP2d_IrTi7y4Wng~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRg9VuFP0TtaHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubnl0aW1lcy5jb20vMjAyMC8wNy8xNC91cy9jb3JvbmF2aXJ1cy10ZXhhcy1yaW8tZ3JhbmRlLXZhbGxleS1ib3JkZXIuaHRtbD9jYW1wYWlnbl9pZD0zNyZlbWM9ZWRpdF9ycl8yMDIwMDcxOCZpbnN0YW5jZV9pZD0yMDQzMSZubD1yYWNlJTJGcmVsYXRlZCZyZWdpX2lkPTQyNzQwODk3JnNlZ21lbnRfaWQ9MzM3NDAmdGU9MSZ1c2VyX2lkPTM5MzhmMTdkODE4MmEyMmZkZTE0NjdmZjlkMGJiNWM1VwNueXRCCgAdhdYSX8UC2IRSEGxpbWFAZ2VuZXNlby5lZHVYBAAAAAA~>
[image: Article Image]

Joseph Rushmore for The New York Times
<https://nl.nytimes.com/f/a/c7c59PSxTQm4s02x-Trtrw~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRg9VuFP0TpaHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubnl0aW1lcy5jb20vaW50ZXJhY3RpdmUvMjAyMC8wNy8xNy91cy90dWxzYS1tYXNzYWNyZS1tYXNzLWdyYXZlcy5odG1sP2NhbXBhaWduX2lkPTM3JmVtYz1lZGl0X3JyXzIwMjAwNzE4Jmluc3RhbmNlX2lkPTIwNDMxJm5sPXJhY2UlMkZyZWxhdGVkJnJlZ2lfaWQ9NDI3NDA4OTcmc2VnbWVudF9pZD0zMzc0MCZ0ZT0xJnVzZXJfaWQ9MzkzOGYxN2Q4MTgyYTIyZmRlMTQ2N2ZmOWQwYmI1YzVXA255dEIKAB2F1hJfxQLYhFIQbGltYUBnZW5lc2VvLmVkdVgEAAAAAA~~>
  Nearly a Century After a Tulsa Massacre, the Search for Burial Sites
Finally Breaks Ground

A city investigates its traumatic history

Photographs by Joseph Rushmore and Gary Mason
<https://nl.nytimes.com/f/a/c7c59PSxTQm4s02x-Trtrw~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRg9VuFP0TpaHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubnl0aW1lcy5jb20vaW50ZXJhY3RpdmUvMjAyMC8wNy8xNy91cy90dWxzYS1tYXNzYWNyZS1tYXNzLWdyYXZlcy5odG1sP2NhbXBhaWduX2lkPTM3JmVtYz1lZGl0X3JyXzIwMjAwNzE4Jmluc3RhbmNlX2lkPTIwNDMxJm5sPXJhY2UlMkZyZWxhdGVkJnJlZ2lfaWQ9NDI3NDA4OTcmc2VnbWVudF9pZD0zMzc0MCZ0ZT0xJnVzZXJfaWQ9MzkzOGYxN2Q4MTgyYTIyZmRlMTQ2N2ZmOWQwYmI1YzVXA255dEIKAB2F1hJfxQLYhFIQbGltYUBnZW5lc2VvLmVkdVgEAAAAAA~~>
[image: Article Image]

James Estrin/The New York Times
<https://nl.nytimes.com/f/newsletter/RvPrZkZ6_8bprTLATlIFEA~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRg9VuFP0TwaHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubnl0aW1lcy5jb20vMjAyMC8wNy8xNS9ueXJlZ2lvbi9ncmFuZGNoYW1wcy1icm9va2x5bi1ibGFjay1saXZlcy1tYXR0ZXIuaHRtbD9jYW1wYWlnbl9pZD0zNyZlbWM9ZWRpdF9ycl8yMDIwMDcxOCZpbnN0YW5jZV9pZD0yMDQzMSZubD1yYWNlJTJGcmVsYXRlZCZyZWdpX2lkPTQyNzQwODk3JnNlZ21lbnRfaWQ9MzM3NDAmdGU9MSZ1c2VyX2lkPTM5MzhmMTdkODE4MmEyMmZkZTE0NjdmZjlkMGJiNWM1VwNueXRCCgAdhdYSX8UC2IRSEGxpbWFAZ2VuZXNlby5lZHVYBAAAAAA~>
  Their Workers Kept Being Stopped by the Police, So They Decided to Help

A restaurant with Black employees is prioritizing its workers’ mental
health as they navigate the coronavirus and the protests against racial
injustice.

By James Estrin
<https://nl.nytimes.com/f/newsletter/RvPrZkZ6_8bprTLATlIFEA~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRg9VuFP0TwaHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubnl0aW1lcy5jb20vMjAyMC8wNy8xNS9ueXJlZ2lvbi9ncmFuZGNoYW1wcy1icm9va2x5bi1ibGFjay1saXZlcy1tYXR0ZXIuaHRtbD9jYW1wYWlnbl9pZD0zNyZlbWM9ZWRpdF9ycl8yMDIwMDcxOCZpbnN0YW5jZV9pZD0yMDQzMSZubD1yYWNlJTJGcmVsYXRlZCZyZWdpX2lkPTQyNzQwODk3JnNlZ21lbnRfaWQ9MzM3NDAmdGU9MSZ1c2VyX2lkPTM5MzhmMTdkODE4MmEyMmZkZTE0NjdmZjlkMGJiNWM1VwNueXRCCgAdhdYSX8UC2IRSEGxpbWFAZ2VuZXNlby5lZHVYBAAAAAA~>
[image: Article Image]

Curtis Compton/Atlanta Journal-Constitution, via Associated Press
<https://nl.nytimes.com/f/newsletter/doKdAIBbgU5rxV1mP8W5vw~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRg9VuFP0TdaHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubnl0aW1lcy5jb20vMjAyMC8wNy8xNi9vcGluaW9uL3BvbGljZS1mdW5kaW5nLWRlZnVuZC5odG1sP2NhbXBhaWduX2lkPTM3JmVtYz1lZGl0X3JyXzIwMjAwNzE4Jmluc3RhbmNlX2lkPTIwNDMxJm5sPXJhY2UlMkZyZWxhdGVkJnJlZ2lfaWQ9NDI3NDA4OTcmc2VnbWVudF9pZD0zMzc0MCZ0ZT0xJnVzZXJfaWQ9MzkzOGYxN2Q4MTgyYTIyZmRlMTQ2N2ZmOWQwYmI1YzVXA255dEIKAB2F1hJfxQLYhFIQbGltYUBnZW5lc2VvLmVkdVgEAAAAAA~~>
  I’m a Black Police Officer. Here’s How to Change the System.

Yes, defund the police. But then re-fund them, better.

By David Hughes
<https://nl.nytimes.com/f/newsletter/doKdAIBbgU5rxV1mP8W5vw~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRg9VuFP0TdaHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubnl0aW1lcy5jb20vMjAyMC8wNy8xNi9vcGluaW9uL3BvbGljZS1mdW5kaW5nLWRlZnVuZC5odG1sP2NhbXBhaWduX2lkPTM3JmVtYz1lZGl0X3JyXzIwMjAwNzE4Jmluc3RhbmNlX2lkPTIwNDMxJm5sPXJhY2UlMkZyZWxhdGVkJnJlZ2lfaWQ9NDI3NDA4OTcmc2VnbWVudF9pZD0zMzc0MCZ0ZT0xJnVzZXJfaWQ9MzkzOGYxN2Q4MTgyYTIyZmRlMTQ2N2ZmOWQwYmI1YzVXA255dEIKAB2F1hJfxQLYhFIQbGltYUBnZW5lc2VvLmVkdVgEAAAAAA~~>
[image: Article Image]

Valerie Plesch for The New York Times
<https://nl.nytimes.com/f/newsletter/MIFRU6hd4EhYaFWxPyRsdA~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRg9VuFP0TqaHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubnl0aW1lcy5jb20vMjAyMC8wNy8xNS91cy9ibGFjay1saXZlcy1tYXR0ZXItcHJvdGVzdHMtc21hbGwtdG93bnMuaHRtbD9jYW1wYWlnbl9pZD0zNyZlbWM9ZWRpdF9ycl8yMDIwMDcxOCZpbnN0YW5jZV9pZD0yMDQzMSZubD1yYWNlJTJGcmVsYXRlZCZyZWdpX2lkPTQyNzQwODk3JnNlZ21lbnRfaWQ9MzM3NDAmdGU9MSZ1c2VyX2lkPTM5MzhmMTdkODE4MmEyMmZkZTE0NjdmZjlkMGJiNWM1VwNueXRCCgAdhdYSX8UC2IRSEGxpbWFAZ2VuZXNlby5lZHVYBAAAAAA~>
  What Black Lives Matter Has Revealed About Small-Town America

A multiracial future has appeared, along with unprecedented conversations
about race.

By Campbell Robertson
<https://nl.nytimes.com/f/newsletter/MIFRU6hd4EhYaFWxPyRsdA~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRg9VuFP0TqaHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubnl0aW1lcy5jb20vMjAyMC8wNy8xNS91cy9ibGFjay1saXZlcy1tYXR0ZXItcHJvdGVzdHMtc21hbGwtdG93bnMuaHRtbD9jYW1wYWlnbl9pZD0zNyZlbWM9ZWRpdF9ycl8yMDIwMDcxOCZpbnN0YW5jZV9pZD0yMDQzMSZubD1yYWNlJTJGcmVsYXRlZCZyZWdpX2lkPTQyNzQwODk3JnNlZ21lbnRfaWQ9MzM3NDAmdGU9MSZ1c2VyX2lkPTM5MzhmMTdkODE4MmEyMmZkZTE0NjdmZjlkMGJiNWM1VwNueXRCCgAdhdYSX8UC2IRSEGxpbWFAZ2VuZXNlby5lZHVYBAAAAAA~>
[image: Article Image]

Ethan Miller/Getty Images; Rob Grabowski, via Invision, via Associated Press
<https://nl.nytimes.com/f/newsletter/exAvP06hH0JEl9XbPteMaQ~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRg9VuFP0TdaHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubnl0aW1lcy5jb20vMjAyMC8wNy8xNS9hcnRzL211c2ljL2NvdW50cnktbXVzaWMtcmFjZS5odG1sP2NhbXBhaWduX2lkPTM3JmVtYz1lZGl0X3JyXzIwMjAwNzE4Jmluc3RhbmNlX2lkPTIwNDMxJm5sPXJhY2UlMkZyZWxhdGVkJnJlZ2lfaWQ9NDI3NDA4OTcmc2VnbWVudF9pZD0zMzc0MCZ0ZT0xJnVzZXJfaWQ9MzkzOGYxN2Q4MTgyYTIyZmRlMTQ2N2ZmOWQwYmI1YzVXA255dEIKAB2F1hJfxQLYhFIQbGltYUBnZW5lc2VvLmVkdVgEAAAAAA~~>
  Critic’s NotebookCountry Music Struggles to Meet the Moment. Again.

The larger music industry has vowed to examine racism and bias. In
Nashville, only the genre’s outsiders are dipping their toes in essential
conversations.

By Jon Caramanica
<https://nl.nytimes.com/f/newsletter/exAvP06hH0JEl9XbPteMaQ~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRg9VuFP0TdaHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubnl0aW1lcy5jb20vMjAyMC8wNy8xNS9hcnRzL211c2ljL2NvdW50cnktbXVzaWMtcmFjZS5odG1sP2NhbXBhaWduX2lkPTM3JmVtYz1lZGl0X3JyXzIwMjAwNzE4Jmluc3RhbmNlX2lkPTIwNDMxJm5sPXJhY2UlMkZyZWxhdGVkJnJlZ2lfaWQ9NDI3NDA4OTcmc2VnbWVudF9pZD0zMzc0MCZ0ZT0xJnVzZXJfaWQ9MzkzOGYxN2Q4MTgyYTIyZmRlMTQ2N2ZmOWQwYmI1YzVXA255dEIKAB2F1hJfxQLYhFIQbGltYUBnZW5lc2VvLmVkdVgEAAAAAA~~>
[image: Article Image]

Christopher Rivas and Will Gordh.
<https://nl.nytimes.com/f/a/drlsji6k0GMW9J_RJDnW6A~~/AAAAAQA~/RgRg9VuFP0TuaHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubnl0aW1lcy5jb20vdmlkZW8vb3Bpbmlvbi8xMDAwMDAwMDcyMjc3NTIvaG9sbHl3b29kLWxhdGlub3MtZGl2ZXJzaXR5Lmh0bWw_Y2FtcGFpZ25faWQ9MzcmZW1jPWVkaXRfcnJfMjAyMDA3MTgmaW5zdGFuY2VfaWQ9MjA0MzEmbmw9cmFjZSUyRnJlbGF0ZWQmcmVnaV9pZD00Mjc0MDg5NyZzZWdtZW50X2lkPTMzNzQwJnRlPTEmdXNlcl9pZD0zOTM4ZjE3ZDgxODJhMjJmZGUxNDY3ZmY5ZDBiYjVjNVcDbnl0QgoAHYXWEl_FAtiEUhBsaW1hQGdlbmVzZW8uZWR1WAQAAAAA>
  I’m an Actor of Color. My Curls Aren’t Wanted.

I know if I want to land more roles, I need to look white.

By Christopher Rivas and Will Gordh