[Blackstudies-l] Fighting Legacies of White Supremacy - Online Teach-In - Thursday, July 23 11:30-1pm

Maria Lima lima at geneseo.edu
Wed Jul 22 15:30:54 EDT 2020

*From: *Ben Wright <bgw at utdallas.edu>
*Subject: **Fighting Legacies of White Supremacy - Online Teach-In -
Thursday, July 23 11:30-1pm*
*Date: *July 22, 2020 at 2:45:59 PM EDT
*To: *"Wright, Ben" <bgw at utdallas.edu>

Dear friends,

I and some colleagues have organized an online teach-in at UTD on the theme
of "Fighting Legacies of White Supremacy." It will take place tomorrow via
Microsoft Teams. This event has been inspired by the inspiring antiracist
activism we have seen across the country, as well as the fact that until
two weeks ago UTD had treated Juneteenth the same as "Confederate Heroes
Day," an official state holiday that remains on the books in Texas.

As part of this teach-in, I organized a panel on the theme of "History,
Holidays, Monuments, and Memory
<https://www.utdallas.edu/ah/events/detail.html?id=34097691458997>." For
this panel, I will speak very briefly about the Confederacy and Juneteenth,
explaining how the latter is worthy of celebration, while the former
certainly is not. Sharron Conrad
<https://www.smu.edu/Dedman/Research/Institutes-and-Centers/Center-for-Presidential-History/People/People/PostDoc/Conrad>,
a recent PhD graduate from UTD and current postdoc at SMU will speak on how
black Americans have used history to resist racism. Lindsay Chervinsky
<https://www.lindsaychervinsky.com/>, will speak about antiracism and
public history. Finally, George Keaton
<https://www.dallasdoinggood.com/doing-good/george-keaton-remembering-black-dallas>,
the founder and president of Remembering Black Dallas, will speak about the
movement against racist monuments in Dallas. Each of these talks will be
under 10 minutes, so the bulk of the 90 minute session will be reserved for
Q&A with the audience.

There will also be a second session later in the afternoon exploring the
ways that colorblindness sustains racial inequities.

Our hope is that this teach-in can demonstrate the value of antiracist
programming to the university administration. A decent turnout is important
to that end, but our opportunities for publicity have been limited. I am
writing to you today in the *hope that you might consider virtually
attending this event*, or at least helping us to spread the word. To
attend, you need to download the Microsoft Teams program which you can do
by following this link, which will also take you directly to the event
<https://teams.microsoft.com/l/meetup-join/19%3ameeting_YTk0MzI4OWMtODg2Yy00NjkyLWI1ZjEtZDRmOTExM2M5YjFh%40thread.v2/0?context=%7b%22Tid%22%3a%228d281d1d-9c4d-4bf7-b16e-032d15de9f6c%22%2c%22Oid%22%3a%22e3ad8dc5-14e2-4838-9006-3c133234398d%22%2c%22IsBroadcastMeeting%22%3atrue%7d>.
Again, the panel will take place tomorrow, Thursday July 23 from
11:30-1:00pm CT.

I'd be happy to answer any questions, and I'd be thrilled to see you online
tomorrow.

All the best,
Ben

--