[Blackstudies-l] The Black Expat: Living in Ghana You Have Freedom From Fear

Maria Lima lima at geneseo.edu
Sat Jun 20 12:10:31 EDT 2020

The Black Expat: Living in Ghana You Have Freedom From Fear
AFRICA <https://travelnoire.com/tag/africa>
EXPAT LIFE <https://travelnoire.com/tag/expat-life>
GHANA <https://travelnoire.com/tag/ghana>
[image: The Black Expat: Living in Ghana You Have Freedom From Fear]Photo
Credit: Dr. Obadele Kambon, Nana Kwame

<?subject=Check%20Out%20This%20Article%20&body=Dr.%20Obadele%20Kambon%2C%20Nana%20Kwame%20has%20built%20a%20successful%20life%20in%20Accra%2C%20Ghana%20after%20leaving%20the...%20https%3A%2F%2Ftravelnoire.com%2Fliving-ghana-freedom-from-fear>

PUBLISHED: JUN 15, 2020 7:16 AM

Dr. Obadele Kambon, Nana Kwame has built a successful life in Accra, Ghana
after leaving the United States in 2008.

He is a world-renowned master linguist and the founder of Abibitumi
<https://www.abibitumi.com/> where he specializes in live online and
offline teaching of various Afrikan languages, including Akan (Twi),
Yoruba, Wolof, Mdw Ntr (Hieroglyphics), and Kiswahili.

In an interview with Travel Noire, he talks about what led to his decision
to repatriate to Ghana at the age of 28 and why he says his goal is to
never set foot on United States soil again.

Travel Noire: What inspired you to move to Ghana?

Dr. Kambon: Why I’m here? One, I am home. And two, some of the unrest that
you’re seeing going on throughout the US around George Floyd being killed I
was someone who was subjected to wrongful arrestThe police don’t ask you if are
you an upstanding citizen or care about your education. All they see is
that you’re black.

As I am here in Ghana today, I realized that I never worry if police are
going to pull me out of my car and stick their knee on my neck. They do
tend to do that at the government level, where they’ll disregard your
sovereign state and violate your airspace. However, on a day-to-day basis,
which is what we see in the United States, which I refer to as the United
Snakes, it’s like shooting fish in a barrel with black people at any point
in time where state and non-state actors can continue the anti-black
genocide that has been going on for quite some time.

I’m here because I realized that this is a place where I can raise my
children safely and where my wife and I can be safe. I’m also here to help
build a nation that can stand up to places like the United States, the
United Kingdom, and Canada. I’m here to be a part of building Africa to
make it that power that can stand up and defeat the enemies of black people.

Travel Noire: Since moving to Ghana, what have you either discovered about
yourself, or what are some things you probably would not have realized if
you were to stay here in the US?

Dr. Kambon: I first came in 1998, That was just for two weeks. Then I came
here in 1999, I was camp for two weeks. Then I did a year of study abroad
from 2000 through 2001. So, from there, I would say that I got a very good
sense of what living here permanently would be like.

The culture shock that you will find is the people that are perming their
hair and people who are going to church praying to an imaginary stick.
That’s the culture shock. People are perming their hair and going to church.

That’s a shock because you’re like, okay, I’m coming to Africa. You come
here and you find that people are trying to be lighter than anybody on the
face of the planet earth. You’ll find people who have white first names and
last names, who have never had an African name a day in their life.

Meanwhile, I was born with my name.

The major thing is that you’ll come to Africa, and you’re thinking okay
Africa is home. That this will be some sort of a refuge from wicked. But
then when you actually come here, you’ll find some of the most sellout,
anti-black, House negroes.

If you want to meet Africans in Africa, generally speaking, you may have to
create them. Because what has been manufactured here over the past few
decades, if not a few centuries, is anti-Africans. People who have been
manufactured to hate everything about who they are as African people.

In universities and other schools, you would think they’re supposed to
teach about African philosophy. But unfortunately, all they know about is
Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle and they don’t know anything about Africa.

Travel Noire: So, even with the flaws that you just described, how would
you pitch Ghana to others thinking of relocating?

Dr. Kambon: I say that here is the battlefront. This is the battle fight
and on that side is deep, deep, deep behind enemy lines. You can see that
because black people are getting shot down every single day. That’s what
happens when we’re deep into enemy territory. You have numerous casualties
in that situation.

Here, this is the frontlines of the battlefield, because, you know, it’s a
fight over basically for the minds of African people, as well as for the
actual soil itself.

What I would say is that because this is the frontlines that you come here
and you are ready to do that work of actually creating the Africa that we
would like to see.

There are some people who come here, you know to chill out and relax and
that’s here as well. There was one brother who said that when he comes to
Ghana, it makes him feel like this is what it’s like to be a white man in
America because nobody follows you around the store because you’re black
because everybody’s black.

You all can be just walking around and living, and you have this freedom
from fear.

Then in terms of quality of life, I was just on my land and there are all
kinds of stuff growing there. We just went up and found coconut trees and
mango trees. We already got pineapples. We’ve got all kinds of peppers,
plantains, and cassava, you would literally have to give the effort to
starve from hunger.
[image: Parker Diakite]
AUTHOR: Parker Diakite