[Blackstudies-l] Idris Elba to Host Africa Day Benefit Concert on May 25th

Maria Lima lima at geneseo.edu
Sat May 23 09:15:31 EDT 2020

*Stay Smart About Africa*
VIEW IN YOUR BROWSER
<https://mailchi.mp/africa.com/stay-woke-with-the-top10-lifestyle-travel-news-68756?e=3c33709313>
<https://africa.us5.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e6ed9b82c58d866f5444e7e64&id=8be17739ab&e=3c33709313>

*Lifestyle & Travel*
<https://africa.us5.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e6ed9b82c58d866f5444e7e64&id=aee86ff0b3&e=3c33709313>
Idris Elba to Host Africa Day Benefit Concert with Some of the Continent's
Biggest Stars
This coming Monday, in honor of Africa Day, Idris Elba will host a virtual
concert, in which top talents from across Africa will perform.  Sponsored
by a partnership between MTV Base Africa and YouTube, the concert will
serve as a platform to raise money for UNICEF and the World Food Program in
support of their efforts in COVID-impacted areas of the world. The concert
will feature performances from music acts like Benin's Angelique Kidjo,
Kenya's Sauti Sol, South Africa's Sho Madjozi, and Nigeria's Burna Boy.
South African comedian Trevor Noah, reigning Miss Universe, Zozibini Tunzi,
and rapper Sean Paul are also part of the concert's line up presenters,
according to the organizers.

SOURCE: CNN
<https://africa.us5.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e6ed9b82c58d866f5444e7e64&id=3bc3c4c7ec&e=3c33709313>
Interview: TSE is the Photographer Capturing Lagos' New Aesthetic

In the creative hotpot that is Lagos, the young rule the roost and set the
trends. As an ambassador for their aesthetic, photography is gaining
increasing popularity, and Thompson Ekong, AKA TSE, is emerging as one of
the bright lights of this genre. Through collaborations with local
musicians and big name brands, he is using his artistry to communicate the
unique and inimitable style of Nigeria today.

SOURCE: OKAYAFRICA
<https://africa.us5.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e6ed9b82c58d866f5444e7e64&id=b2611f5425&e=3c33709313>
Why the African Art Market is Uniquely Positioned to Weather COVID-19

Although it's still early to assess the full impact of COVID-19 on the
African contemporary art market, initial signs seem to indicate that it's
weathering the storm very well.  Benefitting from an international
collector base, fluency with online display and sales, and a cohesive,
collaborative, and inventive community of gallerists, African contemporary
art continues to achieve impressive sales. Sotheby’s modern and
contemporary African art sale opened online on March 27th, three days after
lockdown came into force in the United Kingdom. Hannah O’Leary, director
and head of modern and contemporary African art at Sotheby’s, was
pleasantly surprised by positive sales. In the end, the auction brought in
$2.9 million, setting new auction records for five artists: Cameroonian
photographer Samuel Fosso, Mozambican painter Bertina Lopes, Zimbabwean
painter Richard Mudariki, Tanzanian painter Elias Jengo, and Nigerian
painter Shina Yussuff.

SOURCE: ARTSY
<https://africa.us5.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e6ed9b82c58d866f5444e7e64&id=35a0d4b471&e=3c33709313>
'This Isn't a Fad': Three of Africa's Biggest Stars on Making the Industry
Come to Them

The prospects for African musicians have never been brighter, and
increasing numbers are attaining true global stardom.  Unlike prior
generations, whose work often languished in the "world music" category of
record stores, today's are able to find fans in homes across the globe
thanks to the advent of streaming.  With this easier, more direct
connection to audiences, African talents like Tiwa Savage, Davido and Mr
Eazi are flourishing and developing true negotiating power within the
industry.  Learn more about their paths to success and how they're charting
their destinies. A-list tastemakers aren’t the only ones lavishing new
attention on the region, however. The three major-label groups — Universal,
Warner and Sony — have all ramped up their investments in Africa in recent
years: opening offices, sending A&R scouts to major hubs and forming joint
ventures and partnerships. Meanwhile, advances in technology and social
media have further connected a continent of 1.2 billion people — with a
median age of 19.7 years — to the rest of the industry, creating a
lucrative audience for both homegrown and foreign stars alike.

SOURCE: BILLBOARD
<https://africa.us5.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e6ed9b82c58d866f5444e7e64&id=377f2931ea&e=3c33709313>
How Ancient African Societies Used Social Distancing to Manage Pandemics

Archaeology lends tremendous insights into how the world encountered and
dealt with historic events, including pandemics.  From burial and migration
patterns, we can draw conclusions as to the practices that ancestors
deployed to combat illness and protect their communities.  Africa, in
particular, offers up a host of fascinating examples of how societies
adapted to disease with social distancing being chief among them.
Archaeologists’ findings at Mwenezi in southern Zimbabwe also show that it
was a taboo to touch or interfere with remains of the dead, lest diseases
be transmitted in this way. Archaeological work at early urban settlements
in central and southern Ghana identified the impact of pandemics at places
such Akrokrowa (AD950 – 1300) and Asikuma-Odoben-Brakwa in the central
district of Ghana. These settlements, like others in the Birim Valley of
southern Ghana, were bounded by intricate systems of trenches and banks of
earth.

SOURCE: QUARTZ AFRICA
<https://africa.us5.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e6ed9b82c58d866f5444e7e64&id=f589f7ebf5&e=3c33709313>
Shaking Up Nairobi's Bar Offerings Cocktails

As craft cocktails are just now finding a foothold in the Kenyan capital,
buoyed by a dynamic, nascent drinks industry. Small businesses are
distilling gin and producing cider, and a handful of breweries are
producing craft beer—all high-quality local alternatives to cheap lagers
and soda-based mixed drinks. Procera is the first Kenyan distillery of any
kind, let alone its first craft gin, and has proudly based its recipe on
African botanicals. That botanical list also includes Kenyan pink
peppercorns, Swahili limes, Moroccan coriander, cardamom and mace from
Zanzibar, grains of selim from Sierra Leone, and Somali acacia honey, the
latter of which Jorgensen refers to as "the heart of the recipe after the
juniper."

SOURCE: CN TRAVELER
<https://africa.us5.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e6ed9b82c58d866f5444e7e64&id=d0206f7cd7&e=3c33709313>
Chasing Egypt's Waterways

It's difficult to imagine a desert oasis with a magical lake, cascading
waterfalls, and a valley of ancient whales failing to be listed among a
destination's top attractions. But in a place like Egypt, with its ancient
pyramids and beautiful beaches, competition is understandably steep.
Located less than two hours south west of Cairo, Fayoum Oasis is
undoubtedly one of the country's hidden treasures. Made up of many lakes
and canals, this large region is an ideal weekend or day trip spot for
those keen to escape the bustle of the city. Wadi El Rayan, a protected
national park that stretches across nearly 700 square miles, is one of
Fayoum's many highlights. It's comprised of an upper and lower human-made
lake, with what's considered to be Egypt's largest waterfalls in between.
These waterfalls can be hard to spot from the upper plateau, as they're
slightly smaller than other renowned falls. But viewing the multiple
drop-offs from the lower plateau is the best way to witness their
collective beauty and experience a unique shower in the middle of a desert.

SOURCE: CNN
<https://africa.us5.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e6ed9b82c58d866f5444e7e64&id=2238230a56&e=3c33709313>
Elephant Tees Off at South African Golf Course

>From wild dogs, lions, a leopard and hyenas with an impala ram kill:
Skukuza Golf Club has been busy under lockdown. On Wednesday the course
welcomed a brand new visitor: an elephant. While the previous sightings
have been predators, these guests tend to leave everything the way they
found it. Elephants on the other hand, not quite. A single adult ellie can
tear through 150kgs of food in a day. While the sighting is exciting, the
outcome for the vegetation is not. The latest guest took a leisurely stroll
around the course, before pushing over a tree or two.

SOURCE: GETAWAY
<https://africa.us5.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e6ed9b82c58d866f5444e7e64&id=b36f4e8010&e=3c33709313>
Zimbabwe’s Tourism Sector is Busy Devising a Post Covid-19 Tourism Recovery
Strategy

At a meeting held this week, Environment, Climate, Tourism and Hospitality
Industry Minister spoke in detail about a three-phased approach, which
starts by growing domestic tourism, the regional and then the international
market. The meeting also delved into the need for various interventions,
including timely disbursement of the $500-million stimulus package by
government and wider collaborations among the industry rather than
competing against each other. The issue of pricing of tourism products was
also discussed externally with most players agreeing that domestic tourism
was the starting point to give impetus and lure international travellers.
Sector players agreed that for domestic tourism to thrive, the national
airline to needed to become operational. While the pandemic hampered
operations of the national airline it also provided an opportunity for Air
Zimbabwe to revive its fleet which is set to service the domestic routes.

SOURCE: IOL TRAVEL
<https://africa.us5.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e6ed9b82c58d866f5444e7e64&id=d83697c649&e=3c33709313>
Conservation Sidelined by Pandemic

>From the vast plains of the Maasai Mara in Kenya to the delicate corals of
the Aldabra atoll in the Seychelles, conservation work to protect some of
the world’s most important ecosystems is facing crisis following a collapse
in ecotourism during the Covid-19 pandemic. Organisations that depend on
visitors to fund projects for critically endangered species and rare
habitats could be forced to close, according to wildlife NGOs, after border
closures and worldwide travel restrictions abruptly halted millions of
pounds of income from tourism. Throughout the pandemic, scientists have
repeatedly urged humanity to reset its relationship with nature or suffer
worse outbreaks. But the economic consequences of the Covid-19 lockdown
have raised fears of a surge in poaching, illegal fishing and deforestation
in life-sustaining ecosystems, with tens of thousands of jobs in the
ecotourism sector at risk around the world.

SOURCE: SKIFT
<https://africa.us5.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e6ed9b82c58d866f5444e7e64&id=b127bc72e3&e=3c33709313>
[image: Share]
<https://africa.us5.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e6ed9b82c58d866f5444e7e64&id=418c95dd0f&e=3c33709313>
Share
<https://africa.us5.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e6ed9b82c58d866f5444e7e64&id=feb208b6de&e=3c33709313>
[image: Tweet]
<https://africa.us5.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e6ed9b82c58d866f5444e7e64&id=5340cb395d&e=3c33709313>
Tweet
<https://africa.us5.list-manage.com/track/click?u=e6ed9b82c58d866f5444e7e64&id=1a4d3a3daf&e=3c33709313>
[image: Forward]
<http://us5.forward-to-friend.com/forward?u=e6ed9b82c58d866f5444e7e64&id=c77f1303cd&e=3c33709313>
<http://us5.forward-to-friend.com/forward?u=e6ed9b82c58d866f5444e7e64&id=c77f1303cd&e=3c33709313>

*Copyright © 2020 Africa.com*

You've signed up to receive newsletters from Africa.com
Africa.com
2nd Floor, West Tower, Maude Street
Nelson Mandela Square
Sandton, Gauteng 2196