[Blackstudies-l] Justice Series for Teachers, Students, and the Public

Maria Lima lima at geneseo.edu
Wed May 27 14:29:51 EDT 2020

Connect to under-reported stories from the Pulitzer Center
The latest reporting and lesson ideas from the Pulitzer Center
<https://pulitzercenter.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1e0daa892d0fd84e520a9c9af&id=2e4449528f&e=f8216b8e89>
*FEATURED RESOURCE*
<https://pulitzercenter.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1e0daa892d0fd84e520a9c9af&id=e671bfefd2&e=f8216b8e89>

On Justice: A webinar series for teachers, students, and the public
<https://pulitzercenter.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1e0daa892d0fd84e520a9c9af&id=f065e9da02&e=f8216b8e89>

While we have postponed our annual conference on justice due to COVID-19,
we are launching a series of webinars to explore this theme in an online
community. Register today for our first events in the series, and stay
tuned for more event announcements across the summer months. Our first
webinar in the series, on June 3, will feature filmmaker Robert Tokanel and
intersex visibility advocate and asylum-seeker Tatenda Ngwaru, the subject
of his film, in conversation about justice for migrants and members of the
LGBTQIA+ community.
Register for next week's webinar
<https://pulitzercenter.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1e0daa892d0fd84e520a9c9af&id=6ccbeeaca8&e=f8216b8e89>
View a full list of upcoming webinars on justice
<https://pulitzercenter.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1e0daa892d0fd84e520a9c9af&id=62c98b8d7b&e=f8216b8e89>
*MORE FROM PULITZER CENTER EDUCATION*
<https://pulitzercenter.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1e0daa892d0fd84e520a9c9af&id=baf9b76db0&e=f8216b8e89>

Lesson Plan: Exploring Voter Suppression and Activism in the 2020 Elections
<https://pulitzercenter.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1e0daa892d0fd84e520a9c9af&id=77bd3d4824&e=f8216b8e89>
In this lesson, students learn about disenfranchisement and mobilization
against it.
<https://pulitzercenter.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1e0daa892d0fd84e520a9c9af&id=afa297a4fe&e=f8216b8e89>

Today: Student Poetry Open Mic
<https://pulitzercenter.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1e0daa892d0fd84e520a9c9af&id=dbc645deb7&e=f8216b8e89>
<https://pulitzercenter.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1e0daa892d0fd84e520a9c9af&id=49cd778d95&e=f8216b8e89>
to hear students perform their Fighting Words poems!
*Wednesday, June 27 4:00–5:15pm ET*
<https://pulitzercenter.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1e0daa892d0fd84e520a9c9af&id=99771a9213&e=f8216b8e89>

In Their Shoes: Schedule a Workshop for Elementary Students
<https://pulitzercenter.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1e0daa892d0fd84e520a9c9af&id=fb152b692b&e=f8216b8e89>
Reach out to us
<education at pulitzercenter.org?subject=Schedule%20an%20In%20Their%20Shoes%20Workshop&body=Thank%20you%20for%20reaching%20out!%20Please%20let%20us%20know%3A%0A%0A1.%20What%20dates%2Ftimes%20work%20for%20your%20class%3F%0A2.%20What%20platform%20do%20you%20use%20with%20students%3F%20(Zoom%2C%20Google%20Meet%2C%20etc.)%0A3.%20How%20many%20students%20do%20you%20expect%20will%20join%20the%20workshop%2C%20and%20what%20grade(s)%20are%20they%20in%3F>
to facilitate a workshop on the experiences of refugee and asylum-seeking
children for your class.
*EDUCATION CALENDAR*

*Wednesday, May 27*
*New Yorker* contributing writer Luke Mogelson discusses his reporting from
Syria, and the implications of U.S. foreign policy in the country. Details
here.
<https://pulitzercenter.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1e0daa892d0fd84e520a9c9af&id=c61fabda7c&e=f8216b8e89>

*Online Wednesday, May 27*
Fighting Words Poetry Contest participants and past winners perform their
poems during an open mic. You and your students can register to attend here!
<https://pulitzercenter.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1e0daa892d0fd84e520a9c9af&id=c9eb7757f9&e=f8216b8e89>

*Online Wednesday, May 27*
Pulitzer Center staff and partners at D.C. Public Schools (DCPS) lead a
live event on Microsoft Teams that introduces visual storytelling exercises
from the Everyday DC project
<https://pulitzercenter.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1e0daa892d0fd84e520a9c9af&id=88589c1032&e=f8216b8e89>
to families as part of "DCPS Parent University: Bonding and Learning with
your Teenager." Details here.
<https://pulitzercenter.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1e0daa892d0fd84e520a9c9af&id=5c0d06615b&e=f8216b8e89>
*Online*

*Wednesday, June 3*
Documentary filmmaker Robert Tokanel and intersex community advocate
Tatenda Ngwaru lead a webinar for students in which they screen their film,
"She's Not a Boy," and discuss Tatenda's story as an intersex asylum seeker
from Zimbabwe in the United States. Register here!
<https://pulitzercenter.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1e0daa892d0fd84e520a9c9af&id=0156b6cf1e&e=f8216b8e89>

*Online Tuesday, June 9*
*New York Times* journalist Carol Rosenberg and David Cole, National Legal
Director of the American Civil Liberties Union, discuss Guantánamo, civil
liberties, capital cases, and more as part of our webinar series on
justice. Details here.
<https://pulitzercenter.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1e0daa892d0fd84e520a9c9af&id=3cdfa07d47&e=f8216b8e89>
*Online*
<https://pulitzercenter.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1e0daa892d0fd84e520a9c9af&id=d67237f069&e=f8216b8e89>
<https://pulitzercenter.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1e0daa892d0fd84e520a9c9af&id=f498f52845&e=f8216b8e89>
<https://pulitzercenter.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1e0daa892d0fd84e520a9c9af&id=e4294e7164&e=f8216b8e89>
<https://pulitzercenter.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1e0daa892d0fd84e520a9c9af&id=f65a95c731&e=f8216b8e89>
<education at pulitzercenter.org>
The Pulitzer Center's Education Program
<https://pulitzercenter.us1.list-manage.com/track/click?u=1e0daa892d0fd84e520a9c9af&id=7d3ec40fd1&e=f8216b8e89>
provides
students with fresh information on global issues, helps them think
critically about the creation and dissemination of news, and inspires them
to become active consumers and producers of information. The program brings
journalists to classrooms across the country to introduce critical
under-reported global issues to students.
*Our mailing address is:*
1779 Massachusetts Ave NW
Suite 615
Washington, D.C.