[Blackstudies-l] Univ. of Rochester REAL Conversations - Keep on Pushin': Juneteenth and the Evolution of Emancipation

Maria Helena Lima lima at geneseo.edu
Thu Jun 17 15:43:55 EDT 2021

*Community members* – ALL are welcome to join us tomorrow for…

*REAL Conversations*

KEEP ON PUSHIN': JUNETEENTH AND THE EVOLUTION OF EMANCIPATION

 *REGISTER HERE
<https://rax.rochester.edu/s/1676/rd16/interior.aspx?sid=1676&gid=2&pgid=8337&content_id=7009>*

*Friday, June 18*
  *Noon–1:15 p.m. (ET)*

*Virtual event, presented by the **Office of Alumni Relations and
Constituent Engagement* <https://www.rochester.edu/alumni/>* in partnership
with the **Black Alumni Network*
<https://www.rochester.edu/advancement/black-alumni-network/>*, **Diversity
Advisory Council*
<https://www.rochester.edu/alumni/diversity-advisory-council>*, and
the **Office
of Equity and Inclusion* <https://www.rochester.edu/diversity/>

* Dr. Scot Brown ’89*

Featuring *Dr. Scot Brown ’89* <https://afam.ucla.edu/faculty/scot-brown/>,
distinguished author and associate professor of African American Studies
and History at UCLA, we will recognize Juneteenth, the oldest nationally
celebrated commemoration of the ending of slavery in the United States.

This special program will explore the historical context of Juneteenth, the
importance of Black cultural wealth, the evolution of emancipation, and the
expanded notion of freedom. In recognition of the celebration, the
University of Rochester Black Alumni Network will host this event honoring
the traditions and practices of persons of African descent.

*For more information and to register, click here.
<https://rax.rochester.edu/s/1676/rd16/interior.aspx?sid=1676&gid=2&pgid=8337&content_id=7009>*

This event is part of the University of Rochester monthly lecture and
discussion series, *REAL**–Rochester's Equity
& Access Leadership–Conversations.* These virtual programs focus on
authentic discussions featuring brave and candid dialogues around equity,
measurable action, and meaningful change. To view recordings of past
events, explore the archive here.
<https://www.rochester.edu/advancement/real-conversations/>

*Lauren McKenna (she/her/hers
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=D7yj2XT3Wuk&feature=emb_logo>)*

Associate Director, Diversity and Inclusion Programs
Alumni Relations and Constituent Engagement ï University of Rochester

*Phone* 585.273.3531  *Mobile *585.752.0104

*Web* www.rochester.edu/alumni  *Email* lauren.mckenna at rochester.edu

300 E. River Rd., Box 278993, Rochester, NY 14627

*I reverentially affirm that the lands on which I live and work are the
original homelands of the Haudenosaunee and I honor the sovereignty of the
Six Nations–the Mohawk, Cayuga, Onondaga, Oneida, Seneca, and Tuscarora.
Additionally,  I strive to honor as well as respect the diverse Indigenous
people connected to these lands with gratitude for the land itself and the
people who have stewarded it throughout the generations.*

*Confidentiality notice:** This e-mail message, including any attachments,
recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and delete all copies,
including attachments, of the original message.*