[Blackstudies-l] Institute of the Black World (IBW) 50th Anniversary celebration ZOOM

Maria Helena Lima lima at geneseo.edu
Mon Jun 21 08:39:07 EDT 2021

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Abdul Alkalimat <mcworter at illinois.edu>
Date: Mon, Jun 21, 2021 at 8:36 AM
Subject: Institute of the Black World (IBW) 50th Anniversary celebration
ZOOM
To: <abdulslist at lists.illinois.edu>

*Institute of the Black World: *
One of the founding institutions at the 1960s birth of Black Studies, the
IBW reignited the radical Black tradition by linking academic work with the
Black Liberation Movement.  There will be *seven ZOOM seminars exploring
IBW history and more* (see below).  You can register at this link:
bit.ly/IBW50Plus

https://twitter.com/50Ahsa/status/1405518885626040321/photo/1
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://twitter.com/50Ahsa/status/1405518885626040321/photo/1__;!!DZ3fjg!vx5ANoDJpEfvGxExC2hi53fqxtfC-RS2uM9mkUnIvB3l_88QNXtmyK4c3KBHXSERrYT7u8Ji$>

The personal archives of Abdul Alkalimat, as an IBW founder, can be found
here: http://alkalimat.org/ibw/
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://alkalimat.org/ibw/__;!!DZ3fjg!vx5ANoDJpEfvGxExC2hi53fqxtfC-RS2uM9mkUnIvB3l_88QNXtmyK4c3KBHXSERrQImOkzF$>

History is not only about the past.  We need to use historical reflection
as a guide to the future.
*SESSION#1: Tuesday, June 29*
The Origins and Mission of IBW
This program critically assesses IBW’s role as a think tank for black
struggle, discusses the role of Dr. Vincent Harding within the Institute
and explores ways in which IBW’s experiences are relevant to today’s
struggles.

*SESSION #2: Tuesday, July 13*
Understanding the New Black Poetry
Dr. Stephen Henderson, an intellectual architect of the Institute, taught
in the first of IBW’s Summer Symposia in 1969 and wrote and produced the
book Understanding the New Black Poetry. [This collection] framed the
seismic shift that occurred in African American arts and letters in the
1960s. This session looks at the ways in which that shift has developed and
morphed over the years since.

*SESSION #3: Tuesday, July 20 *
Remaking the Past to Make the Future: The New Black History
This program explores the evolution of Black History from the late 1960s to
the present and its relevance to the future of Black America.

*SESSION #4: Tuesday, July 27*
Education for Liberation
This session will look at our goals in the struggle for a New Black
Education. As an IBW Monthly Report said in August 1973, “The education of
our children is our responsibility. We cannot place it in anyone else’s
hands.”

*SESSION #5 : Tuesday, August 3 *
The New Black Studies
This session assesses IBW’s role in promoting, informing and supporting the
development of Black Studies with an emphasis on two seminal Black Studies
conferences and a variety of publications and consultancies.

*SESSION #6: Tuesday, August 10 *
The New Black Agenda
IBW drafted “The Gary Declaration...." With additions and revisions, it
became the National Black Agenda of 1972. This session discusses
contemporary black agendas against the backdrop of the Gary Declaration.

*SESSION #7: Tuesday August 17*
Following the Ancestors' Footsteps into the Future
Tribute to the Ancestors.