[Blackstudies-l] Information session: ANTH 388 Anthropology of the US-Mexico Border in Tucson, Arizona and Nogales, Mexico (Intersession 2022)

Jennifer Guzman guzman at geneseo.edu
Mon Mar 29 18:55:14 EDT 2021

*****Please distribute widely****
*** Pardon cross-posting ***

You are invited to an information session on Monday, April 12 at 12:30pm
<https://events.geneseo.edu/event/usamexico_-_anth_388_anthropology_of_the_us_mexico_border_info_session#.YGI2q2RKg-Q>
- for a new Winter Intersession study away program "Anthropology of the
US-Mexico Border" that will take place in Tucson, Arizona and Nogales,
Mexico in January 2022. At the information session, Drs. Guzmán and
Medeiros will explain the objectives of the program and answer student
questions. The program has no prerequisites and is open to all students.
Please share this announcement with anyone who may be interested.

ANTH 388 Anthropology of the US-Mexico Border
<https://suny-geneseo-horizons.symplicity.com/index.php?s=programs&mode=form&id=f2248312a0c3f942f3b22b87fd7f4345>

Program overview: To learn about life in the Borderlands, this program
spends two weeks in the historic Southwest city of Tucson, Arizona, in the
middle of the iconic Sonoran Desert. Our objective is to explore the border
region as a space of crossing and encounter, one where people's lives are
shaped by migration and the many legal, economic, historical, and cultural
factors that shape the migration experience. In Tucson we partner with
BorderLinks, a nonprofit organization that "raises awareness about the
impact of the border and immigration policies, and inspires action for
social transformation." As a delegation with BorderLinks we will learn from
local experts, including scholars, immigrants, artists, activists, and
people in government agencies and humanitarian organizations. We learn
first hand about the factors that drive people to risk their lives crossing
the desert and see how the Southwest has been shaped by centuries of
settler colonialism and migration. We observe Operation Streamline
immigration court and join a humanitarian group to leave food and water for
migrants crossing the desert, as well as visiting the Pima County Medical
Examiner's Office, where staff work to identify the remains of migrants who
have died. We visit an immigration detention center and learn about
outreach to migrants who are detained. Excursions include a visit to the
historic Barrio Viejo neighborhood, hiking in the Catalina Mountains, and a
trip to the award-winning Sonora Desert Museum. On one day, students will
serve as volunteers working with an organization that provides housing
assistance to asylum seekers who have recently arrived in the United States
and have been released from immigration custody.

Anthropology of the US-Mexico Border Program Information Session
<https://events.geneseo.edu/event/usamexico_-_anth_388_anthropology_of_the_us_mexico_border_info_session#.YGI2q2RKg-Q>
Information session: Monday, April 12 at 12:30pm to 1:30pm
Register here for the information session
<https://geneseo.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJcuf--sqz8qH9Y8XiX1Qall-Fvp_Q7AAXOv>

--
Jennifer R. Guzmán, PhD (she/her/ella)
Assistant Professor of Anthropology