[Blackstudies-l] Fwd: Environmental Justice 101 Reading Club / Workshop

Meg Reitz reitzm at geneseo.edu
Fri May 7 13:48:50 EDT 2021

Opportunity at the end of the month!

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Nichols, Derek <djn2 at buffalo.edu>
Date: Fri, May 7, 2021 at 12:37 PM
Subject: Environmental Justice 101 Reading Club / Workshop
To: <NYCSHE at listserv.syr.edu>

Hi NYCSHE-

Our NYCSHE Justice Equity Diversity and Inclusion (JEDI) Subcommittee
formally invites you to the Environmental Justice 101 workshop cohosted by
Neha Sood (RIT) and myself (UB).

We have structured this as a two day experience (you do not need to attend
both sessions to participate). As pre-workshop information, please absorb
the following materials:

1.”’This is Environmental Racism’- how a protest in a North Carolina
farming town sparked a national movement.” Darryl Fears and Brady Dennis,
April 6, 2021 Washington Post
<https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/interactive/2021/environmental-justice-race/>

2. Racism is Killing the Planet – Hop Hopkins, June 8, 2020, Sierra Club
<https://www.sierraclub.org/sierra/racism-killing-planet>

3. A Brief History of Environmental Justice – ProPublica, August 4, 2017
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30xLg2HHg8Q>

4. Greening the Ghetto
<https://www.ted.com/talks/majora_carter_greening_the_ghetto/transcript#t-6830>

5. Environmental justice | Social Inequality | MCAT | Khan Academy
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0L2xCwD5RNI>

The* Environmental Justice 101 Workshop *will be held on May 25th from
10-12pm.

*Zoom information is here**:*

Topic: NYCSHE: Environmental Justice 101

Time: May 25, 2021 10:00 AM Eastern Time (US and Canada)

Join Zoom Meeting

https://buffalo.zoom.us/j/93099681928?pwd=anFjQ01LTUh5VHZGUnVJai9sZFMxdz09

Meeting ID: 930 9968 1928

Passcode: 242313

One tap mobile

+16465588656,,93099681928#,,,,*242313# US (New York)

+13017158592,,93099681928#,,,,*242313# US (Washington DC)

After Tuesday’s workshop, we will have a discussion on Thursday, May 27th
from 4-5pm on the pre-meeting materials and any other topics we did not get
a chance to take a deep dive into during that session.

*Register in advance for this meeting:*

https://buffalo.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJMudO6grD4sG9EmQ7xe3nQPDGZxj8_I-S0P

After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing
information about joining the meeting.

Looking forward to seeing you all then.

Have a great weekend,

*Derek Nichols*

*::*

*Sustainability Engagement Coordinator *

*UB Sustainability*

*University at Buffalo*

*::*

107 Statler

Buffalo, NY 14260

e. djn2 at buffalo.edu

direct. 716 829 5725

office. 716 829 3535

fax. 716 829 2704

www.buffalo.edu/sustainability

facebook: ub green <http://www.facebook.com/pages/UB-Green/20386518757>

twitter: @ubgreen <http://twitter.com/UBGreen>

(pronouns: he, him, his <https://www.mypronouns.org/what-and-why/>)

Meg Reitz, Ph.D.
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Associate Director of Residence Life for Educational Initiatives
Co-Chair President's Commission on Sustainability
Assistant Field Hockey
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=73&v=r8LNxhX-cI8&feature=emb_logo>
Coach

“The time is always right to do what is right.” Through small acts of
empathy, service, and respect, I commit to constantly create the conditions
for a more fair and just society for all.

Contact:
310 MacVittie College Union
585-245-6363
585-245-5851