[Blackstudies-l] APPLICATIONS DUE THURSDAY for Borderlands Winter Intersession program

Jennifer Guzman guzman at geneseo.edu
Tue Sep 28 22:16:15 EDT 2021

This is a *final invitation to submit an application to participate in the
upcoming Anthropology of the US-Mexico Border winter intersession program*
in Tucson, Arizona in January 2022.

The program has NO PREREQUISITES and is open to all students. Below is the
program description and link to apply. APPLICATIONS DUE THURSDAY, September
30.

ANTH 388 Anthropology of the US-Mexico Border
<https://suny-geneseo-horizons.symplicity.com/index.php?s=programs&mode=form&id=f2248312a0c3f942f3b22b87fd7f4345>

Program overview: To learn about life in the Borderlands, this program
spends two weeks in the historic Southwest city of Tucson, Arizona, in the
middle of the iconic Sonoran Desert. Our objective is to explore the border
region as a space of crossing and encounter, one where people's lives are
shaped by migration and the many legal, economic, historical, and cultural
factors that shape the migration experience. In Tucson we partner with
BorderLinks, a nonprofit organization that "raises awareness about the
impact of the border and immigration policies, and inspires action for
social transformation." As a delegation with BorderLinks we will learn from
local experts, including scholars, immigrants, artists, activists, and
people in government agencies and humanitarian organizations. We learn
first hand about the factors that drive people to risk their lives crossing
the desert and see how the Southwest has been shaped by centuries of
settler colonialism and migration. We observe Operation Streamline
immigration court and make an expedition to leave water for migrants
crossing the desert, as well as visiting the Pima County Medical Examiner's
Office, where efforts are made to identify the remains of migrants who have
died. We visit an immigration detention center and learn about outreach to
migrants who are detained. Excursions include a visit to the historic
Barrio Viejo neighborhood, hiking in the Catalina Mountains, and a trip to
the award-winning Sonora Desert Museum. On one day, students will serve as
volunteers working with an organization that provides housing assistance to
asylum seekers who have recently arrived in the United States and have been
released from immigration custody.
Link to the program page with information, cost sheet, and link to the
program application:
https://suny-geneseo-horizons.symplicity.com/index.php?s=programs&mode=form&id=f2248312a0c3f942f3b22b87fd7f4345

Feel free to reach out to Prof. Guzmán (guzman at geneseo.edu) with questions
about the course or contact Emily Cole (colee at geneseo.edu) with questions
about the program cost, payment schedule, or scholarship information.

--
Jennifer R. Guzmán, PhD (she/her/*ella*)
Associate Professor of Anthropology