Two insights on teaching computer programming

Matthias Felleisen matthias at ccs.neu.edu
Tue Jan 3 08:21:58 EST 2006

On Jan 3, 2006, at 3:00 AM, David Klappholz wrote:

> At 06:51 PM 1/2/2006, Kirby Urner wrote:
>

>> What a lot of students are looking for in a first year CS is a lot of
>> overview and exposure to tools they'll be able to use in other walks
>> of
>> life, i.e. they've already decided they're not CS majors
>
> Some, if not many, of us have a first CS course specifically for CS
> majors
> and another one for non-majors, but I think/know that our CS majors
> want "a
> lot of
> overview and exposure to tools they'll be able to use" from the first
> course.

The average student at an average college just wants a degree so that
she can find a well-paying job that doesn't demand too much. Why dont
we just hand out those degrees and focus on the few that matter and
our research?

-- Matthias

P.S. And pharmacy majors should be able to dispense chemo after a
semester, too.