Two insights on teaching computer programming

Henderson Peter phenders at butler.edu
Tue Jan 3 12:18:50 EST 2006

Kathy and Kirby,

I agree in principle that the first CS course (where CS is viewed as a
science rather than preparation for a professional career - eg, software
engineering) should be accessable to all entering students.
Unfortunately, most intro CS courses are not taught well and with a wide
range of students in mind, and hence become a turn off (one reason I
believe CS popularity is declining).

There are very few CS educators striving to meet these goals.  Kudos to
you Kathi for your efforts.

Pete

Peter B. Henderson
  Department of Computer Science and Software Engineering
   Butler University, 4600 Sunset Avenue, Indianapolis, IN 46208-3485
     phenders at butler.edu
      http://www.math-in-cs.org