Now three insights on teaching computer programming

Kenneth A Lloyd kalloyd at wattsys.com
Wed Jan 4 08:39:20 EST 2006

The discourse has been very enlightening.  Thanks!

As I've followed (tried to follow) the threads of the discussion, there is
one concept that seems to be missing.  Between the domains of computer
programming, software engineering, and computer science - and even the
liberal arts domain - there has been no talk of using an intermediate
modeling language like the UML to relate them.  I find this sort of strange
in that the formalism underlying the UML directly relates to the discrete
math and graph theory, patterning, best practices, and so much more.  I even
translate UML's underlying graph structure into DIMACS files. Using a
language neutral MDA approach, one can generate structure and behavior into
most computer programming languages, and with a little skill / creativity,
even into structured or aspected paradigms.  Further, the extension into
SysML allows one to leverage these concepts into other engineering domains.
Even some business majors seem to be jumping on board with BPM in UML
(what's the world coming to!).

To teach general CSSE concepts, round trip engineering can be quite
enlightening.  The dynamics of software can be simulated, complexity can be
identified and ameliorated (where possible).

After having gone through structured languages like Fortran and Cobol,
through many assemblers, Basic, C, C++, Lisp, Java, and C# in my career -
and even Python, Kirby, UML has been a welcomed formalism.  And, it's
practical in the real world - even if you end up using Microsoft's
Whitehorse agglomeration.  Properly applied, it seems to be rather platform
neutral as well.

I think I could successfully challenge anyone that thinks the UML it TOO
object oriented (early on, this may have been the case).  So my question is:
Does anyone else think that the UML relates adequately to the mathematical,
and graphical formalism in Computer Science and Software Engineering?  If
not, why so?

Ken Lloyd
Sr. Software Architect
Watt Systems Technologies Inc.