Now three insights on teaching computer programming

Allen Tucker allen at bowdoin.edu
Wed Jan 4 10:24:58 EST 2006

Ken, I think your suggestion of UML is a good one.  It's simple,
graphical, and really not too object oriented.  To support the latter
assertion, you could mention the presence of both sequence diagrams
(which support the OO approach) and activity diagrams (which support
the procedural approach, and which are an extension of the
old-fashioned flow charts -- Gries calls them "flaw charts" :-).

The main weakness of UML, in my view, lies in the mathematical
imprecision of its Object Constraint Language (OCL).  While OCL tries
to provide some support for mathematical formalism, it has no formal
semantics and therefore is not useful for correctness-types of
activities during software modeling.  A better choice is the Java
Modeling Language (JML), since it is fully integrated with Java
semantics.  However, choosing JML for formal modeling ties you to Java,
which is offensive to some folks.  Spark/Ada has a similar handicap.
In the long run, maybe OCL could be strengthened so that it is
operationally something like JML but language-independent.  If this
could happen (and pigs could fly), then UML would become a really ideal
tool for describing program behavior, both formally and graphically.

Allen