Two insights on teaching computer programming

David Klappholz d.klappholz at worldnet.att.net
Wed Jan 4 12:54:20 EST 2006

At 12:10 PM 1/4/2006, Matthias Felleisen wrote:
The average student at an average college just wants a degree so that
>>>she can find a well-paying job that doesn't demand too much. Why dont
>>>we just hand out those degrees and focus on the few that matter and
>>>our research?
>>
>>Your response reveals something that really disturbs me about many
>>university faculty. If you can't answer your own question, I'll let
>>others answer it rather than showing the anger I feel.
>
>I assume you realize the question was rhetorical. -- Matthias

It didn't sound rhetorical, especially as I don't know you and can
only read what you write rather than the unexpressed personal
thought/motivation behind it.

Sorry for reacting as I did if, in fact, you meant it rhetorically.

BTW, can you give a few references to Holt's research and to yours re
the effectiveness of different approaches to teaching CS1?

Thanks
Dave