Two insights on teaching computer programming

Matthias Felleisen matthias at ccs.neu.edu
Wed Jan 4 13:03:08 EST 2006

On Jan 4, 2006, at 12:54 PM, David Klappholz wrote:

> Sorry for reacting as I did if, in fact, you meant it rhetorically.

Thanks for the apology.

> BTW, can you give a few references to Holt's research and to yours re
> the effectiveness of different approaches to teaching CS1?

I sent the major Holt reference a while back and don't have it handy.
For our own work, I suggest the publications on DrScheme [technical]
and TeachScheme! [pedagogical] at http://www.ccs.neu.edu/scheme/pubs/
They are usually with Findler, Flatt, Krishnamurthi and occasionally
others. Hope this helps.

;; ---

I have also been asked for the Web link to PLAI, an alternative
approach to Peter's Oz-Multi-Paradigm programming:

   http://www.cs.brown.edu/~sk/Publications/Books/ProgLangs/

-- Matthias