Two insights on teaching computer programming

Kirby Urner kirby.urner at computer.org
Thu Jan 5 18:42:52 EST 2006

Dave:
> PS Do you have any thoughts on possible connections between HtDP and
> female retention?

I assume Matthius tracks relevant data on that, or somebody does.  I'm not
expert on HtDP, though our curricula overlap in many places, e.g. in our
emphasis on integer sequences:

http://www.htdp.org/2003-09-26/Book/curriculum-Z-H-29.html#node_sec_23.1

You'll see I'm pushing a similar approach in Algebra 1 (where we use a
"programming to learn" vs. a "learning to program" approach):

http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=4174915&tstart=0

Kirby

PS:  if HtDP is proving effective in recruiting more women to a CS track,
that'd be a strong argument for more widespread adoption.  Private industry
is hungry for more tech-savvy women -- at least in our Silicon Forest it's
that way (my view as a Free Geek ( freegeek.org )).