Discrete math demonstration ideas...

RICHARD BOTTING rbotting at csusb.edu
Tue Jan 31 16:42:40 EST 2006

I often use my key ring as an example of tree structured
data: There is a ring of car keys that has two rings
on it: one for each car, for example.  To demonstrate the need
to store a pointer to the root of a tree I pretend to hook
the keys back on the belt and in fact drop them.   They
land with a satisfying crash...
(except for the one time when they got hooked on a trouser pocket
 as they fell)

You could illustrate graph theory by referring back to
Dudeney's "Button and String method" of solving puzzles
and mazes.  Introduce a puzzle -- eg boat+goat+cabbage+....
And then producing a collection of balls
connected by string so that they fit the  puzzle

Hold up the start position and the finish and pull
tight.... and there is your solution: the shortest
path through the maze.

Note: I read this analogy in a book of recreational
math to motivate graph theory 30 or 40 years ago.

Hope this helps...

RJBotting
909-537-5327
Comp Sci, CSUSB.